main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY Ziegfeld Electric Goes Down

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by SJLinNYC, Jun 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJLinNYC

SJLinNYC Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 2000
    Due to some strange electronic malfunction, tonight's 10 p.m. show at the Ziegfeld was cancelled. Right after Anakin and Obi Wan had their argument over the mandate to protect Padme, the side emergency floodlights went on in the theater. Then the sound stopped, and the projector went dead. I went to the lobby to find out what was happening, and the scene wasn't pretty. The lights in the lobby were flickering, and there was a faint smell of something burning. It was obvious that this was something far more serious than a computer glitch.

Monique the manager did not have the situation under control; she was yelling at the concession stand people to give passes to future screenings and trying to track down the projectionist. In the meantime, people were still sitting in the auditorium, and had the Ziegfeld been on fire, nobody would have known the difference. After about five minutes, somebody came in to the auditorium with a flashlight and announced that the box office was closed, so people would have to take a pass or come back to the b.o. Saturday for a refund. Customers had to exit down the stairs in semi-darkness (as nobody thought to be stationed on the stairs to usher people out) As it stood when I left the theater, nobody had any information as to what was causing the electrical difficulties, and it was questionable as to whether things would be working in time for Saturday's screenings.

Of course, this would have to be the night where I'd schedule an impromptu trip to the Zieg with two friends who are huge "Star Wars" fans but had been out of town and unable to catch a digital screening elsewhere (and had never been to the Ziegfeld before). They were impressed with everything until the problems started. :(

That's what I get for not telling the usual suspects to show up for another Zieg screening! Far better for this to happen five weeks into its run, though, than on opening night. Could you imagine that scene?

And, for what it's worth, they had not changed the trailers.

2. StarFromIHJ

StarFromIHJ Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002
    I hope everythings ok.

3. VLAmidala

VLAmidala Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2001
    do you think it had anything to do with that evil-looking water leak from the other night, steve? maybe we should've gotten monique to stick her big lobster-claw man hands into the light fixture wednesday night - then at least that problem (and ours ;)) could've been resolved by the weekend.

(and could this possibly be the chance you'd been waiting for, regarding everyone's favorite theatre manager? ;))

4. bobajames

bobajames Jedi Master star 3

May 6, 2002
    OMG.....thank god that everyone got out all rite and yes i mean EVERYONE...well i guess that 3:30 is out for me tomorrow b 4 the swrpg...oh well i think that having 15 under my belt is good for now....

5. SJLinNYC

Dec 25, 2000
    James, you might still want to give it a try. It's possible that it was some problem they were able to rectify after everybody left. I certainly don't want to discourage people from going to see the film, especially when it's facing such stiff competition this weekend. But I would recommend calling before heading over to the Zieg, just in case.

6. StarFromIHJ

StarFromIHJ Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002
    It could always have just been a short.... and the burning smell was popcorn.

7. cybergosh

cybergosh Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2002
    Oh. My. God.

8. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    I'm glad that everyne made it out ok & there was no serious injuries.

Hopfuly the problem will be/has been fixed.

9. bobajames

bobajames Jedi Master star 3

May 6, 2002
    well i tryed to c the 3:30 show and they didn't have it running for that show or the 12 something show....and not sure if they would b up and running by the 6:45 show.....

10. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    All showtimes on Moviefone.com are now down for the foreseeable future. I have a bad feeling about this.

11. TadjiStation

TadjiStation Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Hi All,

I hope you don't mind the quick intro. I usually post in film forums. I'm in Astoria. Anybody else in Queens?

I stopped by the Ziegfeld today for a DLP screening, unbeknownst to me the troubles experienced Friday. I'm glad to know that no one was hurt. Notes on the doors still indicated that the DLP was down. They were, however, running a film print. There didn't seem to be anybody there that could answer any tech questions, so I left.

I hope they get the DLP backup. I saw it at AMC in both film and DLP, and both experiences were great. I'm a huge fan of the Ziegfeld, however (movies really seem more of a complete experience there) and I really would like to see it there (especially in DLP) before it goes away.

Has anybody here seen the DLP at AMC AND Ziegfeld? If so, how do they compare?

Best,

Tadji

:)

12. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002

I have and, in terms of image and sound quality, there isn't really a difference between the AMC and the Ziegfeld.

But... in terms of a movie-going experience, the Ziegfeld is still the place to be. Hopefully, they'll get the DLP back up; I want to see it again soon.

13. LilHil

LilHil Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2001
    I was there on Friday night and it was indeed a bad scene....I took my friend there to have the Zieg experience after having seen the film print at AMC a few weeks ago....I was happy at least that I got two passes since I blew 8 bucks on snacks....as soon as we got outta the Zieg we took a transport down to the AMC and walked into into the 10:30 film print screening and didn't miss a beat (but we did unfortunately miss the zam chase scene)

14. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002

Yep.. i didnt notice a difference... but the seats are more comfy

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yep.. i didnt notice a difference... but the seats are more comfy

Seats are more comfy... where? (I couldn't tell from the sentence)...

I've always thought that the Zieg had the most comfy non-stadium seating, and that the Sony IMAX had the most comfy stadium seating...

... until I saw Minority Report in Theater 7 (?) at the AMC. I mean DANG! That theater had like full-leather stadium seating. SO COMFY. Especially in the row behind the aisle so we could put our feet up on the bar in front of us... niiiiice...

16. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Amcs seats are more comfy

17. VLAmidala

VLAmidala Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2001
    not to be a flaming upstater here, but... guys, ALL the theatres in nyc have sweet seats! :p i grew up in the land of folding metal chairs bolted to the floor, so even the zieg still seems like it has pretty posh seating to me. (although the seats in the dlp screen at the AMC are too narrow for me to knit comfortably. :p) i'm gradually growing less fond of stadium seating, though - not sure why that is, but it's happening.

btw, has anybody heard anything on the status of the zieg's dlp? i'd been thinking about heading up tonight or tomorrow, but if they're still running an analog copy, i'll save the subway fare and just go to frickin' union square. :p

18. DruKalita

DruKalita Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2002
    I love the AMC Empire and would bear its children, if it were a person... well, maybe not. But I have loved that theatre ever since it opened. Saw Time Code there and totally took advantage of the empty theatre to put up the armrests and lay across the seats. Sw33t.

19. SJLinNYC

Dec 25, 2000
    UPDATE:

The digital projector is still not working as of 3:30 p.m. Monday. They're hoping to have it up for Tuesday's shows. If you're planning to see it, you can call (212) 765-7601, which is the Ziegfeld's direct line, and ask whether the DLP is up and running.

20. ElanSleazeschbaggano

ElanSleazeschbaggano Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    So, i think the time has come to flood the THX line with calls, no?

Please call: 1-800-PHONE-THX (1-800-746-6384)
    The number leads you through an automated system and does not ask for any personal info. They do not get back to you either. They just take note of the problem in order to make sure it gets fixed. It's very simple.

It can't possibly hurt to call. But it'll probably help.

21. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I truly hope that everything is A.O.K. for next monday, or there'll be hell to pay! :D

22. Anaquinne

Anaquinne Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    The seats at the AMC were pretty comfy when I saw Minority Report there on Saturday (theater 18, I think), except for one thing that plagues practically every theater... The seats are too damn *tall*! Where's my lumbar support? I can forget about neck support--the chair's neck support is hovering somewhere above the crown of my head. Maybe we should let Japan design theater seats instead of Texas for once. :p

23. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    Claire and I are extremes with seats. lol

24. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    I'm with Claire on that one. hehe

25. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    Judging from the on again off again problems with both digital theaters in NJ and now the one frying itself at th Zieg it seems DLP is a less than perfect technology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.