Ziegfeld Midnight Showing

Discussion in 'New York City, NY' started by SaberMastaYoda, Mar 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaberMastaYoda Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey all NYC Star Wars fans out there... got a question for y'all. Since 1999, I have resolved to go the 12:01 AM showing for the opening night of Episode III at the Ziegfeld theater on West 54th street, NYC's best theater. Now I see that there's this group called "NYLine" that claims that you need to earn "60 points" waiting in their line in order to "earn" a ticket.

Now, having a full time job, I couldn't possibly commit time to wait in line all day on severals weekdays in order to "earn points," so my question is this: is it possible to get a ticket to the 12:01 AM show at the Ziegfeld simply by getting tickets over Fandango or waiting in line whatever day the tickets go on sale at the theater's box office. Is anyone else planning on going to the Midnight shwoing of ROTS at the Ziegfeld who has information on how to do it?
  2. Jedi_Samantha Jedi Master

star 4
    You dont NEED to be apart of NYline to got a midnight ticket. Being apart of the NYline GURENTEE'S a midnight ticket and you get to raise money for charity at the same time. They usually set aside like 500 tickets for NYline partiticpants, family and friends and the other 700 are for the general public.
  3. oBi1JaCoBi Jedi Knight

star 1
    Besides the Ziegfeld, what are other popular places to see the midnight showing in Manhatten? (In case Ziegfeld is sold out)
  4. Jedi_Samantha Jedi Master

star 4
    The theatre in Times Square is popular. I think they usually show it on 3 screens at midnight.
  5. jedidavide Jedi Knight

SaberMasterYoda, I have been looking at the schedule too, and it seems like you don't need tons of time to make 60 points. If a person has even one weekday, they can make like 50 of the points in a day and then do one other evening or weekend shift. That's probably what I will do. I don't want to stress out about using Moviefone and missing out if it sells out too fast. It's for a good cause, and they have a lot of nice games and things planned there. And where else am I gonna find so many people in one place that are so into Star Wars? I'm excited and ready my time on the sidewalk. And the MOVIE!
  6. ObiWill Jedi Master

star 4
    You don't have to join NYLine to see ROTS at the Ziegfeld at midnight; there are plenty of tickets for non-Line members. :D

MEPA is not participating in the Line this year.

ObiJacobi, since it looks like Loews theaters in Manhattan are getting Star Wars this time around (they had the HUGE teaser banner at Loews 68th Street), great places to see it would be Loews 68th, Loews E-Walk (42nd), and let's not forget the AMC Empire 25!

I and several of my friends did not have the greatest time on the lineup for AOTC... it was wet, windy, COLD (it gets mighty chilly in the glass and steel canyon that is 54th St). Plus there were several line members that sought to make our lives miserable (note this does not reflect on the entire Line). While I did not have to take time off work (I did my shifts after work), it was an experience I shall not repeat.

Wherever you go at midnight, you will be surrounded by the most hardcore Star Wars fans of them all! :)
  7. jedidavide Jedi Knight

Guess it's not for the everybody if you are delicate. But I'm ready whatever the weather. I get along with people pretty easily, so I don't think I'll have problems. To me it sounds like the most hardcore fans will be at the Ziegfeld. And I guess it's possible to get a ticket without being in the line, but I'll be glad to be first and get in early. And I'm looking forward to the line itself. Sounds like a party. I'll have a friend doing it with me anyway, so I'm sure we'll have fun no matter what.
  8. Meriwyn Former RSA

star 4
    Just because someone doesn't want to stay outside in the weather, doesn't make them any less of a fan :) Let's not snipe at people because they choose to see a movie in a different theatre. Lots of folks out there are hardcore fans, and I'm sure not all of them will be at the Ziegfeld :)

Play nice folks :)
  9. ObiWill Jedi Master

star 4
    True, true Meri. Besides, I'm not "delicate"... rather I'm short, stout, and hardy, like a Hobbit. I may have been called "Willow" on the Line, but I'm more of a Frodo. :D

10. jedidavide Jedi Knight

Nobody's sniping. :) Or not playing nice. :) I'm just saying the line might not be for you if you are delicate to the weather. I guess lots of fans will be in lots of places no matter what. But lots of them are sure to be at the Ziegfeld.
    :) I can't wait until MAY!
  11. Jedi_Samantha Jedi Master

star 4
    All I gots to say is..

Line tent.

That is all.
  12. LadySith Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually we are not participating in NY Line this year for other reasons.
    I was a participant in the Line in 99 and again last time. Our club was even sponsor.

I don't think participating in the line makes you any more of a fan than others. Some simply cannot get the time off of work, some have families. Some have other commitments. It's great that no one HAS to stand in line to get tickets.

MEPA is organizing our own event for opening night with the other area fangroups and the help of our local 501st Garrison. We wanted to organize something that involves one fun filled night instead of something that takes weeks. We will be making an announcement shortly. :D
  13. johnny_nod Jedi Knight

star 3
    *Some simply cannot get the time off of work...*

This rings true for me. Honestly, as much as vacation time is a plus when you work for the NYPD, I honestly couldn't muster up that much vacation time for the line...particularly after coming back from CIII.

My enjoyment of Episode III...be it in NYC with friends or alone at a Queens-area multiplex on opening day...must ultimately be a one-nighter for me.

I do honestly hope, however, that any and all who view this last chapter...no matter where they see it...will have a great, great time sharing in our mutual love of that galaxy far, far away. :)

No matter how many times they see it. :D

- Johnny
  14. jedidavide Jedi Knight

It's too bad for people who are working so hard that they cannot even find a single day or some nights and weekends to participate. While it's possible to do the line minimum in as little at 12 hours (4 at a time on three times over three weeks) like I will, if a person doesn't have even that much free time, then they're lucky just to even have time to see the movie at all. People who work that hard have it rough.
  15. LadySith Jedi Master

star 4
    I think most people have 12 hours to spare, they just choose to spend it differently.

In any event, I am glad you are part of the line Jedidavide, a few of our members plan to join as well and look forward to meeting you! :D
  16. jedidavide Jedi Knight

It'll be great to meet lots of new Star Wars people. Finally, there will be enough people to play trvia games and everything else, and I may not be the one there who knows the most about Star Wars for a change.
  17. Benae_Quee Jedi Master

star 4
    Just because people that have jobs can't take off from work doesn't mean their job is rough. I love my job, but I'm the only one working there, so I can't take off work for a line up of a movie. I'm already taking off for C3, thankfully we're closed a few days for passover as it is. Are you saying that I'm selfish for working and making money to be able to support myself? I give money to charities where ever I can. I also give food to the homeless when I see them. I'd rather work, earn my money, and donate some of it directly to the charity. I don't thinks its fair of you to keep trying to say that people not lining up are missing the greatest event in history. I'd rather see it with my best friends and my fiance on my own time.
  18. BellaSabrina Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd rather see it with my best friends and my fiance on my own time.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.
  19. Darth Venom Jedi Master

star 4
    And so it begins...

Well, wherever people decide to see Ep.III make the most of it, afterall...it will be the last time there is an "opening night" for a new star wars film.
  20. JadeSolo Manager Emeritus

star 6
    But there's going to be a sequel trilogy. I just know it! :p
  21. mikadojedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, wherever people decide to see Ep.III make the most of it, afterall...it will be the last time there is an "opening night" for a new star wars film.

How true. HOW TRUE!!!! This is it the last true ORIGINAL Star Wars opening night. We should make the most of it. See it amongst kin and kind alike.

And let's not lose sight of what brings us together. It's not about petty differences. Be they between groups or people. We are one in our love of Star Wars. Amazing ain't it. And the lessons. Lessons about acceptance, forgivness and love. Wether big, tall, fat, loud, soft, thin, black, white. It is time we embraced our brothers and sisters. And do like G-d in heaven, through his many ways of telling us, commanded and intended. Star Wars amongst his many miracles. JOIN TOGETHER. LOVE ONE ANOTHER!!!! PEACE!!

FOR Those going to C-III> MY prayers for your safe return and that you all have a blast go with you!!! Can't wait to see the pics!! AMEN!!!
  22. BellaSabrina Jedi Master

star 4
    And let's not lose sight of what brings us together. It's not about petty differences. Be they between groups or people.

I wish there was a thumbs up happy face on here. I agree with you times a billion!
  23. jandimin Jedi Knight

star 2
    geez, it's not a contest...just see the movie when and where you like with whoever you like and enjoy. for me it'll be the palisades center.
  24. F16WarBird Jedi Youngling

star 4
  25. cyranodb Force Ghost

star 4
    I did the NY Line last time and I had a relatively good time and helped to raise money for charity which is what I always like to do. I was glad I did it. I met some really nice people and wound up on DVD. I just experienced it and I'd rather do something different this time around. It was a lot of fun to be there opening night with all my friends and fans. I'm just in my thirties now and just don't have the interest to do it as much as I did the last time. Nothing personal. I've done it, I just don't feel the need to do it again.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.