main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY Ziegfeld Midnight Showing

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by SaberMastaYoda, Mar 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    I mean dont get me wrong -- i loved the line last time. I got addicted to it and it was fun watching Amit hit up the intoxicated people at 3am for money and they would give out 50's. But after certain circumstances, and that fact that i dont have the time this time (Or the money to travel to NYC every time due to MTA fair hikes..It used to cost 4.75 on way last time. Now its 7.00 one way from where id used to come from!) My finals run right into May 18th actually -- and I have school all morning and work all afternoon -- and i do have a life on weekends -- so its just not good for me this time around..

But one things for sure... I dont care where i see it.. Im seeing ROTS at midnight with my friends :)

2. Smeej

Smeej Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2004
    Is it hard to get tickets on opening night elsewhere for the movie? I've never been to the Ziegfield, but I really like some of the large theaters in Queens. Any reccomendations?

3. johnny_nod

johnny_nod Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    I think I can help ya there...

There's the Cinemart, which I remember from my childhood as being THE place to go to to see movies like "The In-Laws"(the better one with Peter Falk and Alan Arkin), "9 to 5"(yes, the Jane Fonda-Dolly Parton-Lily Tomlin comedy...actually quite good for its time), "Fatso"(the Anne Bancroft-directed comedy with Dom DeLuise), and so forth. They shut down and reopened as a multiplex about a year or two later and I believe it played host to a prequel or two, although the theaters aren't that big.

Another one that immediately springs to mind is the Midway Theater on Continental Avenue. A long-time multiplex fixture, it's my fallback in case I don't feel that I need to go into the city to see a movie that I'm interested in seeing...particularly on late-nights.

I should also mention that the upshot of catching a late flick here in Queens doesn't carry the overhead of potentially disrespectful audiences who pepper the screen with laser pens and/or behave in an otherwise inappropriate manner when you just want to have an enjoyable experience at the movies.

I've had to endure that kind of nonsense on occasion. It's not fun.

I'm also fairly certain that the Midway will play host to Ep. III when it's released and failing opportunities to see it in the city with friends, I will graciously defer to a trip to the Midway.

On the other hand, I may just duck in to the Midway sometime after having seen it once in the city, just for repeated viewings. :)

Those theaters are ones that immediately spring to mind. I'm sure there are others, but the other ones I remember were closed down(remember the Forest Hills Theater? It's a Duane-Reade/Staples now) or have been reduced to lesser versions of their former incarnations(the other two-plex theater in Forest Hills isn't all that great, and lost that third theater where big movies played with surround sound and all the trimmings).

Anyone else have Queens theater suggestions/memories? :)

- Johnny

(PS: Honestly...it wouldn't surprise me at all to see theater houses in NYC other than the Ziegfeld play host to Episode III. Remember George has a deference to theater houses that have digital projectors. The AMC Empire 25 has one, and I believe the E-Walk does as well(?). The only confirmed theater in regards to the showcasing of Ep. III at this point is the Zieg, but a little Jedi patience may reveal others in time. :) )

4. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    As far as i know No one had any issues getting tix to any midnight showing last time regardless of where the theater was.

People stand in line for nostalgia now. the advent of being able to purchase tix online, by phone, in advance and multi-mega-plex theaters have made the old need to camp out for tix go the way of the Drive In movie. it's great when you go to a drive-in and remember when but it's just not necessary anymore.

5. Smeej

Smeej Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2004
    Well I am planning to do the NY line. Now hearing some negative comments makes me think twice. I have only seen it on tv, and would like to say I participated in the last one. More than anything I want to be with fans, not the laser pointer weilding, cell phone ringing punks that I inevitably wind up confronting after the film and ruining my experience. This will be my first Star Wars viewing in NY, so I am especially worried, based on what I have seen during other movies.

6. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    That was the one extremely annoying thing about seeing at midnight at the Zig both times I did it. People there not part of the line were loud, annoying us with their Star wars ringtones, their laser pointers and loud commentary throughout the movie.

7. Darth_Nevoc

Darth_Nevoc Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2004
    Seeing as finals week ends on opening night, and its a 4 hour trek for me to get back to the city, its impossible to do NYLine. But from I heard about last time, I've no interest in it at all. I'm looking fwd to hearing what MEPA has planned. I can get down to the city the 17th, but most likely no earlier. Thank goodness for online ticket purchasing, heheh.

8. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    For the 1999 line, I did my shifts, went back to college for finals week, came down for the movie, then had to go back upstate for graduation! Some grads had Podracers on their hats.

9. Darth_Nevoc

Darth_Nevoc Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2004
    I too have to go back up for graduation. I'll see the movie 3 or 4 times, then sleep on the bus back to school, graduate, come back down, and see it a bunch more :)

10. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    Just to confirm. The Sony E-Walk has digital projection. As does the Regal Union Square. And to be honest. As fun as the whole line idea is. I just never enjoyed the Zeigfeld all that much. Seems to me that you go there more to see the theater than the movie playing. For me it's either the AMC-25 or the the Sony E-Walk. Assuming of course that Fox and Sony worked out a distribution deal. EP1 and EP2 did not play at Sony theaters. Save for the I-MAX. But I believe that I-MAX was it's own distributor.

11. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    I will likely see it at the Zieg once or twice. Then I will be off to AMC to enjoy those awesome highback chairs.

12. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    MMMMMMM! Highback chairs.

13. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    And Leg room alan. Lots of leg room.

14. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    I Luvz me some leg room.

15. hchristensenfan

hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    Leg room is always good. :)

16. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    Row AAA... the only row with beverage holders! :)

17. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    Soon a post will be going up about a different kind of midnigth event

18. oBi1JaCoBi

oBi1JaCoBi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 1999
    So how early would any of you suggest getting to the AMC to get a decent seat for the midnight showing? (assuming I can do the actual purchasing online)

19. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Soon a post will be going up about a different kind of midnigth event

Oh, you mean the bonfire for Joe? :p

20. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    Be patient! :D

21. F16WarBird

F16WarBird Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 5, 2004
  22. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    The House, The House, The House Is On Fire.....................

23. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Burning down the House!

24. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    Dont talk about Fire you'll attract joe!

25. F16WarBird

F16WarBird Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    Oh, like you wouldn't be standing next to me with a gas can. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.