main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Zika Virus: Tomorrow's Children of Men Scenario... TODAY!

Discussion in 'Community' started by dp4m, Jan 27, 2016.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    http://www.cdc.gov/zika/

Transmitted by mosquitos, without cure or vaccine. It's largely uncomfortable and there's nothing you can do, but it passes quickly and then you're all set....

... unless you're pregnant.
    It's now spread from South America, to Central America / Mexico, the Caribbean, Puerto Rico, etc.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-35399403 (WHO says it'll hit North America)
    http://time.com/4195372/zika-denmark-south-america-europe/ (First Euro case [Denmark])
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-of-zika-virus-and-other-infectious-diseases/ (Climate Change is bad, mmm'kay!)

Paging Rylo Ken

2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I was at a dinner over the weekend, and friends told me they had changed vacation plans from Florida to Northern California because one of the people they were traveling with was trying to get pregnant and didn't want to risk exposure to the Zika virus.

As far as I know, no virus-bearing mosquitoes have been found in Florida. Maybe they've been tracking the spread of the virus and have projected a virus arrival date that would have coincided with their own arrival date in Florida.

As far as birth defects go, this is almost more alarming, because the cause remains unknown:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/wr/mm6502a2.htm

Unlike zika, this is already happening in the U.S.

in general:
    [​IMG]

3. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Zika is the new Swine

SateleNovelist11 and jp-30 like this.
  4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I keep getting constant updates about Zika from my professor. This virus is no joke.

5. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I know. We'll build a 2,000 mile mosquito net along the U.S. - Mexican border, and we'll make the Mexicans pay for it.

TX-20, Juliet316 , Lord Vivec and 7 others like this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Nah I say we put out a temporary ban on mosquitos until we figure it out.

TX-20, AmySolo, Vaderize03 and 2 others like this.
  7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    BBC News reported three British people have caught the virus following travel to the affected areas. Note - image of baby with microcephaly in the article.

8. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I'm actually at a conference right now where the next presentation is going to be about zika. it should be interesting; even though i work in this field i hadn't heard of this until a few weeks ago, it's like it came out of nowhere.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm not in the field but it's much the same here - a few recent news articles and now it seems to be everywhere. And the Olympics are in Rio this year as well. I've read that pregnant women are being cautioned against going to the Games.

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Or you're terrible in your field!

11. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    It was only a matter of time....
    [​IMG]

Rylo Ken likes this.
  12. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Mother nature is seeking revenge for cutting down all those trees in the Amazon.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    My recommendation: Fire- and lots of it!

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    New disease that will only affect a handful of Westerners but will nonetheless cause Westerners to panic. I hope there are blanket travel bans, or is that only reserved for sub-Saharan Africa?

16. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    You didn't happen to be in Apocalypse Now did you? :p

17. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Juliet316 likes this.
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Just all of the babies.

19. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    there's actually more grounds for worry here than there is with most mosquito-borne diseases. it's already demonstrated a number of properties that are pretty unusual for an arbovirus; for one it's been found in a broader variety of species than is most viruses (like dengue and west nile) are and seems to be able to jump species (so far IIRC only within the same genus) way more easily than is typical. also it doesn't appear to be limited to mosquitoes for transmission; apparently it's already been confirmed that blood transfusions can carry it and there are so far at least two instances of it being transmitted sexually via seminal fluid, one in iirc Brazil and the other in Colorado. This is, again, really really unusual for an arbovirus and would allow it to spread far beyond typical mosquito habitats, and since the illness is usually asymptomatic in adults there's huge potential for carriers to unwittingly spread it around.

like, it's definitely too soon to panic or whatever, this thing has only been studied in any depth for less than a decade and it's only in the past like six months that the connection to microcephaly has been found and we still don't know what the causal relationship is but the numbers i was seeing yesterday were like, pretty alarming.

20. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Evacuate everyone to Canada. It's the only way to be sure.

21. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    well i think the obvious solution is for people to stop having babies.

it would solve everything in the long run anyway. just give it 80 or so years.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  22. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Which is worse: microcephaly or hydrocephaly?

23. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015

True. We're only 7.5 years away from 8 billion people. There is nothing the world needs more than the death of 7 billion people within the next 7.5 years. Even reducing the birth rate to zero for the next 7.5 years and allowing people to die of natural causes would only reduce the population by about 500,000,000. I'd propose a five year moratorium on births plus a non nuclear world war lasting 10 years plus a genetically engineered virus that kills 80% of everyone over the age of 50.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Zapdos like this.
  24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I just want to say that I never found Children of Men to be entertaining and fell asleep several different times.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Needed more Will Smith, instead of Chiwetel Ejiofor.