main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    There was absolutely nothing “personal” about this fight. Someone told a sad story in the vaguest possible term about a group of criminals. The framing was explicitly political.

You keep insisting that it was some smaller commitment but haven’t at all articulated what that is. Especially with their “plan” as it was and the Rebels decision to let him live, they could have just made the delivery, got their money, and left safely. Instead, he spends a good 40 minutes harming his own prospects, causing division among his friends, and risking his life to fight the Empire.

That’s a member of the Rebel Alliance. Full stop.

2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    It was personal in that it involved a small group that he could sympathize with, not the full, official Alliance (if, indeed, the full Alliance even existed at that time). He felt sorry for them, once he heard of the situation and knew they weren't the ruthless opposition he thought they were. If it had been Mon Mothma giving a big speech about freedom for the galaxy and the restoration of the Republic, Han would've said, "Forget it, lady."

And while Han certainly would prefer to just make the delivery and get the cash, it was clear that Dryden Vos and Crimson Dawn are not to be trusted. Hey, even Tobias, who sold him out, said as much, as did Qi'ra. So, Han, as a "good guy", did the right thing, though he'd prefer to do the wrong thing. This was just him being nice to somebody, not him standing up for freedom and joining the fight. He's not going to head over to the garrison at Brazzaville.

Again, another Daley example: in Han Solo at Star's End, the book opens with him running guns to some small-time rebels. He thinks they're crazy, he doesn't care about their cause, and he's just in it for the money. But he still delivers the product, and gives them some good advice.

Han is a rebel, but not a Rebel. He fights his own battles, on his own terms, and for his own reasons. And politics and philosophy are not those reasons. He won't be put in a uniform for anybody...yet.

Sarge likes this.
  3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    How aren’t they to be trusted?

They kept up there end of the deals. All of them. He backed out.

More, those people needed no personal help. They were fine—even successful—without him. They just complained they could be even more successful in their intergalactic civil war if he helped them. Which he then did.

This is ridiculous. You’re arguing he isn’t a Rebel because only a small crowd was around when he got asked for help? Really? Like he just has social anxiety disorder?

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Hey, look who also went to see the movie in the first couple of days.

5. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I saw Solo on Thursday with my Dad. He had a big grin on his face when the lights came up, and when he asked for my opinion he ended up cutting me off and said "Quit your whinging you ninny. I thought it was good!" So at least he loved it.

I didn't adore it, but it's not the movie to get me to shake my fist to the heavens and curse the day that Disney took over the franchise over. It's fine, it exists. It's the moviemaking equivalent of cotton candy, fun while it lasts but utterly unsubstantial. It's not the Frankenstein's monster of a movie that I was worrying it was going to be either. As Mark Kermode (A film critic that I admire, and who has little emotional attachment to the franchise) said about the film, if Solo's production troubles had never come to light then you would never have suspected anything had happened, as the final product betrays very few scars from the change of directors.

To me Solo's biggest problem is that it's completely reliant on nostalgia that has already been exploited. Scenes like Han's first encounter with the Falcon, meeting Chewie and the TIE Fighter pursuit are sort of undermined by the fact that TFA already tapped into that desire to see those icons on the big screen again. I think Solo would have been far more effective if it had waited a few years after the current trilogy had wrapped up before trying to cash in off of misty-eyed nostalgia again.

I'm also utterly confused why Lucasfilm decided to use this movie to bring Maul back to the wider masses. It may have got some of the hardcore fans cheering, but it'll just confuse anyone who hasn't seen the cartoons and frustrate those who were happy to see the back of the bloody prequels.

His presence is such a cloyingly cynical addition, right down to him turning his lightsaber on for no real reason other than it being a Star Wars movie, so it has to have a lightsaber in it somewhere, that I wouldn't be surprised if it was added last second by the people holding the purse strings, because they wanted to tease a wider set of anthology movies while getting fanboys excited.

Those thirty seconds aside though, it's an inoffensive addition to the franchise with a few really worthwhile scenes. Most importantly, I think the kids will love it.

Looking to the future, with Obi-Wan and Boba Fett origin movies on the way, I'm probably done with the "Star Wars Story" brand for now. At least until I get a movie about Lando and L3 hustling sabaac tables across the galaxy.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  6. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    What are you on about? How do
    those "rebels" have anything to do with the Alliance? They're a bunch of people rebelling against the oppression of the criminal cartels. Early in the film it's mentioned in a conversation between Han & his girl that Crimson Dawn & other such groups are a danger even to them. So Han has a long history of knowing how much of a problem they are for ordinary people. So it's only natural for him to sympathise with the plight of the Enfys Nest crew.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I was just so indifferent to it the whole time. In some ways, indifference is worse than outright loathing.

8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The problem now is

we know Maul will die fighting Obi Wan, we've seen it.
    If they'd put that in the Obi Wan movie it would at least have been the big moment at the end to build up to. But now they can't, and I can't really believe they'd redo that fight again just for the movie. Which leaves not many options there.

I personally like what Rebels & TCW did for Maul, made him a far more interesting character when the resurrection angle could have just been stupid.
    We don't really know what he gets up to between TCW & Rebels, so there's a good amount of time to play around with the character if they want to.

9. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Rebels has its head on the chopping block, Richie. The Kenobi film will be the executioner.

Chewgumma likes this.
  10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Given it's arguably the best thing under Disney Star Wars so far, and that they're allowing Filoni to make another show with some of the same characters, undermining it serves little purpose.

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I used to think that, but these days I'm convinced that the overvaluing of negative responses is due to an internalization of the sentiment that emotional reactions are synonymous with efficiently used time, which we of course have been conditioned to prioritize. This illusory "instinctive" impulse must be destroyed!

Well, okay, that and I hate everything equally.

12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes but if you could drain the Nile River in a 3 inch tube, then how many biscuits can you fit on my roof?

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Surprisingly few!

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I want a film about what happened to the galactic economy between a solo and ANH.

in this Han gives away, I think, 60 million credits worth of goods. In ANH he gets giddy over 17 thousand credits.

So either there a collapse, a complete reorganisation, or the writers of this don’t understand Solo.

cratylus likes this.
  15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    So it may not even break 100 million this weekend domestically. Ow ow ow ow ouch

16. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    This thing is making less money than Justice League in OW. Let's go back talk about TLJ.

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It was a poor idea not to move it.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Yeah should have moved it to later in the year.

With a reported $200million+ budget, it's gonna bomb big time.

Diggy likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, nothing is coming out worth watching for the next two weeks, so maybe it has glorious legs?

20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It's school holidays in the UK, so maybe.

I expect DVD/Blu Ray sales may end up being the only way to salvage it

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You bet your ass it does.

[​IMG]

Arawn_Fenn, tom, poor yorick and 3 others like this.
  22. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    The Rebels animated series is insignificant. And it's already been sold. It'll go the way of all EU: discarded, replaced, and if you're lucky: mined.

Sarge and Chewgumma like this.
  23. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I have to concur with @SuperWatto. While I've seen a lot of excitement from fans of the animated canon because of recent events, I think they should be looking at them with trepidation.

There is no way that they are bringing Maul into the live action movies without the intention of giving him some form of conclusion, which will probably be in the Obi-Wan movie.

Unless they decide to remake entire swathes of Rebels into a live action series, that conclusion is going to inevitably rewrite the end of Maul's storyline.

There is no way that they're going to tease the return of Maul to a wider audience and expect them to get a satisfying ending from a Disney XD cartoon.

Which would mean that the animated canon is getting loaded into a cannon and is about to be fired into the sun.

The only thing that would save Rebels at this point is the relatively poor box office performance for Solo.

And even then I don't see Lucasfilm failing to live up to the implied promises that they've delivered to audiences that have seen it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

SuperWatto likes this.
  24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Your second point may be about to come true, Chewgumma.

25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It really wouldn't have been that hard for the Story Group to plan this all out before each project starts.

Marvel can do it, and it works well.

Amon_Amarth likes this.