main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Plan all what?

SuperWatto likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They don't know either.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Movies & TV Diggy.
    That's what they make

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The Marvel tv stuff barely connects at this point. Certainly nothing compared to how Rebels was supposed to connect.

Ender Sai likes this.
  5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Which is why if Lucasfilm plans for everything to be interlinking they should make sure that if they plan to do a movie 5 years down the line that they don't use plots for a TV show that might be useful for that movie.

Marvel has connecting movies planned in the 2020s, Lucasfilm don't seem to be able to connect movies coming out 2 years apart

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    We were not talking movies only, per your previous post. The MCU’s overall policy is to ignore the shows entirely. Looks like SW is doing the same.

But doubling down and ignoring the OT, too.

7. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    No, Han was just younger and a bit more idealistic than he was later. Plus, he wasn't facing a death mark from Jabba; I'm sure he figured, "Well, I'm the best pilot around and I'm invincible, so I can always make another big score." He got somewhat more cynical, and slightly less ego-driven, in the intervening years.

8. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Crimson Dawn is a criminal organization; they are, by their very nature, untrustworthy. Given Han's background, and what little he's heard from Qi'ra, he figured it's a safe bet they'd try and pull a fast one on him. ("Well done, Solo. Oh, about the money, here's half. You get the rest when you do this other job. Don't want to do it? Okay. Guards, kill him.")

As for Enrfys Nest, they weren't "fine". They did what they could, but they were still outnumbered and outgunned. If the Empire and/or the crooks wanted to really unload on them, they'd be dead. Han just gave them a bit of help. Just them, because he could sympathize and he was a "good guy". It's nothing to do with crowds; it has everything to do with his viewpoint. He can help a few people who've shown themselves to be on his level; the galaxy can take care of itself. And he's not going to join up with any armies or causes; he tried that with the Empire and he got shafted but good. He'll determine what causes are just and worthy of his help, not some politicians or bureaucrats or the brass. To him, those guys are basically the same, anyway.

He'll give them some help, this time. And he'll rebel against the bad guys in his own way: by flying rings around them and breaking their laws, with a payday, to boot.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Both Rebels and Rogue One established that the Rebellion (or just rebellion) had multiple factions employing different methods, some higher stakes and/or more extremist than others. The Rebel Alliance sensu stricto did not emerge until very close to the Battle of Yavin.
    Enfys Nest's group are local fighters-for-a-cause. I didn't see a problem with Han teaming up with them in the end (or "donating" if you will) because their cause and struggle speaks directly to his rough childhood on Corellia and what we see him going through at the beginning of the movie. In helping them beat the Crimson Dawn, he's also thumbing his nose at Lady Proxima and the rest of the underworld.

Indeed. The Story Group should have outlined the coming stories more. Especially when it comes to ST.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Sarge and SithLordDarthRichie like this.
  10. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    May be? I wrote that assuming it was a foregone conclusion by now, going by the fuel it's given the youtuber crazies.

11. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Like many others I thought it was fine, probably better than I expected, but it did not alleviate my major concerns. Ehrenreich was okay at best and the constant reminders that you are watching a SW movie drove me nuts.
    So this ended up being true but we don't necessarily know if it was specifically for that purpose (unless I missed it). Can mods half-delete accounts?

12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I just want to point out how people are expending effort defending/debating a film that was an actual and literal paint by numbers exercise, that had some fun moments lifted in spirit from the old EU, but also it had a moment which is actually worse than anything in the prequels. An indefensibly stupid moment. A laughably bad moment. A moment that preceded me texting my best friend, who was with her partner on the opposite side of the cinema to us, with the phrase "oh **** right off with that" and the gif of Seinfeld getting up.

The Darth Maul scene is the worst thing Star Wars has ever done. Worse than bringing him back for Clone Wars. Worse than Ahsoka doing or being anything, but including "Skyguy". Worse than the Holiday Special. Worse than the prequels. Worse than the rapey romance of AOTC. It's the absolute rock bottom for Star Wars

Rylo Ken likes this.
  13. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I totally agree with you ES.
    It totally fits in with the Marvelization of it though. So expect more of it!

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Worse than a reveal that Jar Jar was secretly the power behind it all?

It was a dumb move sure, but there are way worse characters to use.

Sarge likes this.
  15. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    apology for poor english
    where were you when darth maul was kill?

ron howard: he wasn't

darthcaedus1138, Ramza and Ender Sai like this.
  16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm not sure what part of "worst" is causing issues here tbh.

Chewgumma, Diggy and SuperWatto like this.
  17. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    ... that it's Dutch for sausage?

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Fair call.

Richard, stop alsjeblieft.

19. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Oh, I also want to add that this was the first new SW film where I didn't think pacing was an issue. I was pleasantly surprised to see how much time it took before introducing Lando and the Falcon.

Or maybe it was a problem and now I'm just used to it. [face_dunno]

Bacon164 and Ender Sai like this.
  20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    A broken clock is right twice a day.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Wocky, please tell us more of the dangers of being in a love triangle?

23. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    First, there's no evidence Crimson Dawn is unfair? They enslave people. They kill people who don't do what they want. Yes, they'll pay you, and maybe pay well, but there are always strings attached. Why else would Beckett be so scared of failing them? How else did Beckett get so far in debt that he had to pull off a massively dangerous hijacking to make amends? Han had every reason to believe they'd do him over, and he doesn't even know the whole thing is run by Palpatine's Jedi-killing apprentice.

And Han did help "a bit". Yes, it's a lot of money. But he's not jumping on the bandwagon. He went through that as an Imperial soldier. Now, the only freedom he really cares about is his own and Chewie's. He'll help his friends or those he might feel sorry for because it's a personal matter. Beyond that, his rebellion is small-scale and self-motivated. He has no interest in toppling the government or freeing the galaxy. His ideology on the matter is, again, "Rob 'em blind, and smirk while I do it." He's a good guy and has a tarnished heart of gold, but it's all on his terms. And, going back to the Daley novels, Han's sympathy doesn't go so far that he doesn't think that these guys are nuts to try and fight the bad guys openly on a battlefield.

As for killing people, it was them or him. Draw on him and he'll shoot you, even if you're someone he likes. And regarding the risks he took, he's Han Solo. Taking impossible risks is as natural to him as breathing, especially when he was younger and even more reckless. He'll do it for money, for his pals, and for his ego. But he won't do it for highfalutin' ideals that, in his experience, are almost meaningless. Freedom is he & Chewie going where they please; justice is the guys who try to hurt him get hurt first and worse. He's not as cynical and cold as he'd like to be, but he's no saint and no Rebel. It'll be a long time before he signs on the dotted and becomes General Solo, an actual Rebel with a true loyalty beyond his small circle.

cratylus and Sarge like this.
  24. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Definitely.

In fact, I think the pacing and opening structure worked more fluently than Rogue One.

The first hour of Solo is fine in terms of plot and character establishment which is precisely where Rogue One stumbled a little before properly coming into form.

Solo, among several other issues, seemed to work in reverse: great establishment with gradual disintegration of character and story flow.

25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Here's a video with various Easter eggs and references in Solo that you might have missed.
    More Indiana Jones references than I realized