main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I only managed 13 seconds. I win?

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I got as far as 'rocks'

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I watched the whole thing, you weak minded fools!

4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    That thing needs a Triumph

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I muted it at okey dokey. It seemed fine after that.

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I got through the whole video on the 1st viewing. :p

7. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I just realized something about the prequels after all those years: making Palpatine the baddie was a dumb move.

I used to think it was nifty. The secret schemer. But The Phantom Menace turns out to be the phantom menace of the prequels. Not Jar-Jar, not kid Ani, not kid Boba, not Grievous: Palpatine ruins it.

It's already risky to make prequels, because we'll know the result. But Palpatine's steady rise to power makes it all the more predictable. Yawn-inducing, actually. It's like all is set in stone from the outset. It was so obvious that, at the time, people here speculated that he might not be Darth Sidious. But no surprises; he just turned into the guy we knew in linear fashion.
    As opposed to a truly new evil, unknown, its force unknown, its ambitions unknown.
    What's worse: the pivotal moment of the prequels is Anakin's turn, and the fact that Palpatine is behind the Clone Wars ruins it. It makes Anakin into a dumbass. His turn could have been handled well, less heavy-handedly, more understandably, if he'd had to protect Amidala against an outside villain, one all heroes would unite against.

But alas. I guess that, even with the new baddies and the plethora of new planets, Lucas still kept it too conscise.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So... Some other guy is the baddie and then Palpatine shows up between trilogies and is like "oh nice Empire you have there, I'll take it!" ?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

cratylus, EHT and DarthTunick like this.
  9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't know if watching someone's rise to power is "ruined" because we already know they rose to power. It's pretty interesting reading/watching/learning about the specifics of the rise of people we already know exist in history.

EHT likes this.
  10. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Palpatine could still have been a Senator, this could still have made him Chancellor. He could still have declared himself Emperor. But making him the man behind the Separatists was too much.
    That's true. But they didn't have a double identity that would at some point be revealed.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, I see. Yeah it might've been better if he took advantage of a legit threat as opposed to arranged everything in advance. But less because it's boring and more because we end up with the good guys all being really really stupid.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Darth_Invidious and SuperWatto like this.
  12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Man it's almost like everything surrounding the Clone Wars in the prequels was handled really poorly.

13. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    It's stylistically designed to be that way and you can't undo that.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    "An elegant weapon, for a really nonsensical and pointless age."

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Juliet316, Ramza and SuperWatto like this.
  15. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    No, I agree that having the clone wars be this engineering thing with the same guy running both sides was pretty terrible. Totally took away from the conflict.

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Obviously the execution left a lot to be desired, but the "war" in the Star Wars prequels being an absolute fraud designed to put a guy in power? That was great.

cratylus, EHT, Juliet316 and 2 others like this.
  17. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I guess it works if you keep it a surprise, but that's pretty hard to do with prequels.
    He wanted too much.

18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the main thing i thought was really lame about the war in the prequels was how stupid it made the jedi look. i mean these great jedi masters can't see how futile it is to fight a war against an endless army of robots. not only that but they're going to get out there on the front lines and actually battle robots? like there's nothing better they could be doing? no quicker way to end the war? just go to various planets and fight robots for years and years?

19. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It's not a war. The future empire has two potential contractors to provide the empire with military technology. His competitive bidding process is messy and involves a lot of testing in battlefield conditions. At heart, it's a riveting three-part story about maximizing efficiency in defense contracting.

20. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    That's been done.

[​IMG]

In which our hero Spirou uncovers the devious plan of one country's general (depicted on the boat with arms raised), who gathered his fortune by posing as the other country's dictator - both fawning for war and racking up arms.
    The difference with the prequels was that the weapons were all fake and the general made money twice. Smarter than Sidious, that guy.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    sidious did 9/11

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The issue is Palps went from A to B to C.

Anakin went from A to are you ****ing Kidding me?

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    tom So the personalities for protocol droids are synced-up to match their creators or a product of whatever personality chip said creator has at his or her disposal?

25. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    soitscometothis likes this.