main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    YES!]-}[face_party]

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You could have just said, "Ender, I know nothing about how companies work" and saved yourself the time.

Disney, in this capacity, is not too dissimilar from Berkshire Hathaway. They own other companies, except Disney also produces it's own product/content and has it's own IPs. You don't see Warren Buffet telling Moody's to change a credit rating, do you?

As I stated in the post you quoted, the ownership would allow them to influence or even control appointments to the board. The board can agree upon a strategic direction for the company and have company management implement it however that requires majority board approval. They could sack and restack the board and the board could move to sack Kathleen Kennedy but they would need a compelling reason to do so and my suspicion is that the sale containted contractual provisions designed to keep Kennedy in the role (barring disastrous performance figures under her lead, for example).

The unfounded fears of a London CR are not, in my view, compelling reasons for them to sack the board and force a creative direction on a subsidiary.

Crucially though, there's two points you should take away from this;

1) The board is not senior management, and senior management generally set the policy for the company, and
    2) Boards only meet every so often and are constrained by company bylaws about what the board does. If the board's excluded from creative influence, then you're safe and can sleep easily.

jp-30 likes this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I thought it was an anonymous hacking at first, until too many sources started to report it at once.

4. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    The Boards running much faster. Have we already been upgraded to a new server? :D

5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    No, the lurkers have simply realised that we don't know ****.

Healer_Leona and jp-30 like this.
  6. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    dunno. we still have the same insane number of people on.

7. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Came here to comment on Episode 7, but all I can do sit in amazement at the number of usernames I still recognize. jp-30, what is up, my Kiwi sheep shagger? Have you been here the whole time or are you just back because of this Disney business too?

The hell, man?

8. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Some hatreds have no end...and it's always good to hate the Prequels and DelRey EU. :p

9. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    The JC is going to come roaring back to life! Get ready to hire some more mods!!!!

10. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    We already scared the newbs away. Yayyyy team!

Q to the F'ing T.

YellowSaberMaster likes this.
  11. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I guess the best thing to come out of this in a way is that Lucas is no longer surrounded by Yes Men who won't question his decisions about how to do things or shoot-down his ideas.
    He is still an advisor, but now if he comes up with something someone can say "No George, we won't do that because it's dumb".

MrZAP and Dark Lady Mara like this.
  12. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I'm going to resist the urge to anticipate how I will feel about this movie before it's released this time.

rhonderoo likes this.
  13. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Posting this is completely appropriate. We'll be hearing it. A LOT.

:D:D:D

14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    He was president and CEO of a privately listed company. He didn't need sycophants, it was his vision and they all worked for him knowing that. He had dumb ideas in the OT as well, Richie. Like the whole backstory to Ford's "I know" line in ESB, for one?

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So it begins. Have fun, mods!

Also, I had only really thought about newbies, not old posters who might come back. And, yes, see that a whole lot of us really are this sad and really have continued posting daily 7 years after what we thought was the last SW film.

MrZAP and Dark Lady Mara like this.
  16. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    I'm already setting up a tent in line. Who's with me?

17. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    Awesomely exciting news.

Unlike some, I didn't hate the Prequels. In fact, I enjoyed them. With some misgivings? Sure. But my enjoyment more than outweighed those. Not trolling or even arguing with those who feel otherwise, just saying - my excitement here isn't based on unhappiness with the Prequels.

It is based on the chance to see MORE big-screen SW, and to maybe see the franchise surprise us by working with the basic, fantastic SW universe and taking us in some different creative directions. It is based on the potential of energizing and creating a whole new generation of fans. It is based on the SW universe being kept alive and relevant for more than just the die-hards. And it is based on the sheer joy of anticipating that opening night, several years away, when SW returns to the movie theaters in a big big big big way. I sure hope I am there. *S*

Shadow

cratylus and Frank T. like this.
  18. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    I haven't really watched the Prequels since they came out, so I imagine these new films can only be better. Well I certainly hope so.

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    *gets in line*

*geeks out to The Imperial March*

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Who the **** would do that?

21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Can't wait to discuss how Rock Skywalker is clearly a clone of his father!

22. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Don't be absurd. He's definitely not.

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Noooooooooo :(

24. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Can I call dibs on moderating the Episode XII forums? And also I'll go ahead and call the Episode XXX forums just, well, because.

PrincessKenobi likes this.
  25. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Three old posters appear already. Success!

MrZAP, mavjade , Ender_Sai and 3 others like this.