main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Roald Dahl was a pretty awful person. He had several affairs too, as I recall.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh, he was an utter turd of a man, Robert Neckbeard. Anti-semitite, bitter adulterer, just a complete arse.

Also consider the message behind the protagonist of the Witches not wanting to revert to human form, once turned into a mouse, so as to not outlive his beloved grandmother...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm now convinced that the Prequels would be so much better if they were reshot in this style, tophats included. Someone get me this fan edit!

4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Palpatine: You're no match for him, he's a Sith Lord, see.
    Obi-wan: Don't worry. This Sith Lord will be sleepin' with da fishes.
    Anakin: What's a matter, doll baby? You're shaking like a stool-pigeon. Do you need me to call the meat wagon?
    Padmé: You've knocked me up, ya goon.
    Anakin/Vader: [Through a hologram projector] The Separatists have been taken care of, my master. I gave them each a Chicago overcoat.
    The Emperor: It is finished then. You have restored peace and justice to the galaxy. Now get out of there before the coppers show up and throw ya in the can.

Darth_Invidious, Alpha-Red and Sarge like this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I was under the impression he was more anti-Israel than anything else:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roald_Dahl

In 1983 Dahl reviewed Tony Clifton's God Cried, a picture book about the siege of West Beirut by the Israeli army during the 1982 Lebanon War.[74] He wrote that the book would make readers "violently anti-Israeli", saying, "I am not anti-Semitic. I am anti-Israel."[75] Dahl told a reporter in 1983, "There's a trait in the Jewish character that does provoke animosity ... I mean there is always a reason why anti-anything crops up anywhere; even a stinker like Hitler didn't just pick on them for no reason."[75] Dahl had Jewish friends, including philosopher Sir Isaiah Berlin, who said, "I thought he might say anything. Could have been pro-Arab or pro-Jew. There was no consistent line. He was a man who followed whims, which meant he would blow up in one direction, so to speak."[75] Amelia Foster, director of the Roald Dahl Museum in Great Missenden, says, "This is again an example of how Dahl refused to take anything seriously, even himself. He was very angry at the Israelis. He had a childish reaction to what was going on in Israel. Dahl wanted to provoke, as he always provoked at dinner. His publisher was a Jew, his agent was a Jew... and he thought nothing but good things of them. He asked me to be his managing director, and I'm Jewish."[76]

6. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Um...no. Say what you will about the first Clone Wars cartoon, at least that very early version of Grievous was somewhat menacing. Then ROTS happened and, well, what else is there to say? Even then, there's no way I'd put him close to Thrawn popularity wise.

Prequel lovers. Jesus...

7. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    PSA start - To the prequel lovers - I was once like you. I understand where you're coming from - some of the time. I know you get **** on, especially here, by a lot of us, in this thread. Please don't be discouraged. You're welcome to the discuss Star Wars in this forum in this thread, and don't be afraid to share your thoughts. My hope is that one day you'll be watching one of the prequel movies and you'll realize that while they're visually stunning, the story is hollow, the acting is wooden, and there is no chemistry between any of the characters. The most love Obi-wan shows throughout the entire 3 prequels is for his scene with Dexter Jettster. I digress. If you'd like to discuss the prequels with like minded lovers, there is always the prequel forum. - PSA end

So we got the official Solo poster yesterday which combines all the teaser images into one poster and adds the droid L3-37 (Phoebe Waller-Bridge) and Tobias Beckett (Woody Harrelson).

99 more days. Anyone not buying tickets for this?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Sarge likes this.
  8. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Not if I can help it, no. I guess a gun pointed at my face would be sufficient incentive. Otherwise, lol.

9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  10. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    well I'll buy a ticket on the day , I never buy tickets in advance , what if I'm hit by a bus and killed , the cinema won't give me a refund will they , so I aint falling for that scam .

11. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Any news / any idea when tickets will go on sale?

12. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    DarthInvidious: Thank you for the PSA.

I myself hold out hope that you guys will eventually come to grips with whatever trauma the PT engendered and move on with your lives.

13. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Hopefully sooner rather than later. But then it has been almost thirteen years.

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    we need at least as much time to get over the prequels as we had to anticipate them.

15. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I'll give you another year, since the standard ratio for getting over a breakup is half the length of the relationship. Your collective relationship with the backstory of Obi-Wan and Darth Vader lasted 28 years, so 14 years should be sufficient.

Plus it only took 10 years for a rebound.

grd4 likes this.
  16. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Bacon164: I've never seen anything like this in all of fandom. The disgruntled fans got what they wanted. Lucas sold the property. Disney strip-mines the OT and serves it up to said fans in the form of two "sequels". And still the PT specter remains...

Christ, I've seen victims of violent crime evince more grace than this.

G-FETT and nilzo antonio like this.
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Nice sig.

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    For some reason I'm reminded of a fantastic moment in the Netflix Toys That Made Us series where they imply every Star Wars movie after the original was nothing more than a glorified excuse to make more toys.

Edit: Oh, also
    This happens constantly in "fandom" because any group of people whose only common characteristic is enjoyment of one or more pieces of commercialized crap will cover the gamut of opinions. I myself see it all the time with Gundam fans who will never, ever get over Seed Destiny even though it doesn't even affect most of the other series in the franchise. People like to hold pointless grudges.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Adam of Nuchtern and Bacon164 like this.
  19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I don't recall that particular implication in Netflix's Toys That Made Us, as Lucasfilm was only getting like 2%-5% of Kenner's revenue of the toy sales. However, I do recall Kenner creating their own vehicles that were never in any of the films to generate revenue.
    [​IMG]

20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think it was just an incidental line about RotJ but I about died laughing.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'll have to catch that episode again.

The documentary did note that Kenner/Hasbro wanted Lucasfilms to make more Star Wars movies and suggested that George knew this, and thus waited for the original contract with Kenner to be voided (the provision where Kenner had to pay Lucasfilms (IIRC) $10K annually or the contract would be invalidated). And once that contract was voided, Lucas announced the prequels and entered into contract negotiations with toy makers.

cratylus likes this.
  22. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    "There were now three Star Wars films worth of toys and merchandise"

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Ramza like this.
  23. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I don't know why you're thanking DarthInvidious unless you're attempting to make a joke.

I can't speak for everyone else, but personally, the PT didn't engender any trauma. I want entertaining Star Wars movies. I want to care about the characters. The story and characters of the OT accomplishes this. So far, the current trilogy of films is doing that as well. The PT does not. If the PT is enjoyable for you, that's great. I don't know how you're able to enjoy it, and you don't need to explain it because it's not going to make sense.

It's like every time I go to Target I walk into the aisle with the Transformers and I look at the new toys. I spot the "Power of the Primes" Grimlock. I remember how much fun watching the 80s cartoon was and I think about buying it. Then reality sets in. It's $30. I would transform it once from robot to dinosaur. Maybe I would transform it one or two more times and eventually it would sit in dinosaur form. I would find a place on my shelf, and there it would sit, collecting dust and taking up space. I walk out of the aisle with my money in my pocket, go home, and forget about it. That's the PT.

FatBurt, Darth_Invidious and Sarge like this.
  24. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    idk you sound pretty traumatized.

DarthIntegral, tom and SuperWatto like this.
  25. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    He's right on the money with this though
    In my memory all PT characters are like Ki-Adi Mundi. "And dhraw out the Qhueen's attackher!" They utter words, but they don't actually talk.