main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Not American Superiority but American Centric produced by a US NGO. I mean it more from the standpoint of where was everyone else, a more pan-national approach perhaps.

2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    wasn't that song a follow-up to the Band-Aid song Do they know it's Christmas ?

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't know what's going on in this thread anymore. Can we just talk about hot pockets or dead gorillas?

Alpha-Red and Sarge like this.
  4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think an argument for Americans to make charitable donations pretty rightly featured American artists and titled itself as American.

5. firesaber

Mar 5, 2006
    Yes, but this was a British/Irish joint

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  6. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    yeah I know , but . . . . oh I dunno .

(btw - that's ^ the wrong vid )

7. firesaber

Mar 5, 2006
    Yeah-first one I came across. Apologies and you are correct there were several renditions going back to the 80s.

Pffft- For anyone who thought we couldn't bring Star Wars into this:

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Post the right one!

firesaber likes this.
  9. firesaber

Mar 5, 2006

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    You're giving me flashbacks to the TPM opening crawl.

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    What your saying that TPM’s crawl was easy to understand? :p

12. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Do They Know It's Christmas was a good song, with a heart.
    We Are The World was the typical American take on an original idea: sappier, with more celebrities, more glitter, and more gold. And Dylan.

Both made some cultural mistakes, that have long been acknowledged by their creators, and that everyone but Wocky understands by now. Did Bono really sing "tonight thank god it's them instead of you?" Is that line really followed by "and there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas/ the greatest gift they'll get this year is life"? Pretty reductive for a whole continent.
    They made the same mistakes in the US. "USA for Africa" didn't make the average African feel as warm inside as it made the average American. "We Are The World" doesn't mean "we're in this together" - it means "we're saving our own lives".

firesaber likes this.
  13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Look at how hard Ellie Goulding is trying not to look at Ed Sheeran. "Oh no, you dodgy ginger, you're not claiming my soul as your newest freckle!"

Good on her. Standing up against pallid darkness.

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  15. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    This is a very different sort of criticism. Philanthropic efforts are quite often failed, presumptuous, belittling, or otherwise problematic. But that's separate from a question of whether or not their branding was meant to express some sort of sentiment of superiority or naked self-importance. It wasn't.

16. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Meant? No.
    You are arguing against a claim nobody made.

17. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I like Band Aid 1984.

18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Eh, correct in that post.

However there was a follow-up post claiming explicitly that the song was "American centric." This, even though it was conceived explicitly as an effort to boost American charitable contributions, was the brainchild of American activists, and was both written and performed by American artists.

Will you also complain that Bastille Day is too French centric?

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh I don't know, given how people who are 94th generation American still celebrate St Patrick's day and call themselves Irish, you guys could probably celebrate Bastille Day too.

DANNASUK and SuperWatto like this.
  20. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    That's not my claim, but I can see some value in it. We can't ask Michael Jackson, but maybe we could ask Lionel Richie who the "we" were in "We Are The World".
    Probably shouldn't ask Quincy.

21. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Stop Calling It Bastille Day
    "France’s national holiday is not about the storming of the Bastille during the French Revolution. Yes, the fortress/prison was taken down on July 14, 1789, but what the French are celebrating is something that came a year after that, called Fête de la Fédération. July 14th was picked because it is the official day of the Fête de la Fédération, the event of 1790 honoring the brand new French Republic. The national holiday is about national pride: the national bleu-blanc-rouge flag and the national anthem La Marseillaise created to highlight the French values of Liberté, Fraternité and Egalité — the three foremost rules of the country."
    ... Maybe you thought it was like how Americans celebrate July 4th?

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I like how la Bastille is merely a "dangerous" roundabout. You can tell Ms Sawyer has spent significant time in Paris and therefore thinks driving like a demon possessed is natural.

Calling any roundabout in Paris "dangerous" is like calling American gun culture "a tad problematic".

Rogue1-and-a-half and SuperWatto like this.
  23. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    And the Fete was in turn deliberately timed to coincide with the storming of the Bastille.

As with many things that exist in the vernacular, it's neither entirely accurate nor preferred. But for ease of communication, it's employed.

Sarge likes this.
  24. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Jabba I'm not trying to make any serious points, I'm just messing. Just trying to keep this from being about Star Wars. You're good.

Have you driven there ES? It's very strange. The lines between lanes aren't chalked on the streets - they're formed by drivers sticking out their middle finger at each other.

Ender Sai likes this.
  25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I have, yes. One of my best friends was living down in Barbizon, as her husband was doing his MBA at Insead in Fontainebleu. Her mother in law had a small pharmacy in the 10th Arrondissement, and we drove in there one day to drop her daughter off before wandering the city.

After we met up in 2013, I ended up going to Germany then Italy, and in Italy I had a car for a few days. So driving in Romantic countries where the rules of the road aren't enforced, I had some experience at automotive chaos. They also don't queue, which is bloody rude.

SuperWatto likes this.