main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Yes, take the time to read/lurk around those forums so you can laugh at them. Time well spent!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I hope Oscar Isaac plays a folk-singing Jacen Solo.

cratylus and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

Eh... I read this forum so I can laugh at people...

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I'm excited after seeing the picture.

No ones going to get what they want from this movie since they're not writing or directing, except for a couple guys. Let the movie be whatever it is and try and get what enjoyment you can. These melt downs are just silly.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    How do you know one of us isn't J.J. Abrams?? My vote is Darth Guy[/I] -- he's really negative about him as a way to divert attention away.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    The Destruction of the EU is a good thing. The Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi series were terrible with their "Throne of Balances" and "Fountain of Nonsense" and Abelloths and whatever. Is this Star Wars or Forgotten Realms?

Yes, it's sad that the X-Wing series is gone, but sometimes you got to nuke it all.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

No I posted there too. Criticised Jello and co for buying RPG sourcebooks and using them to faff over fluff.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's only cool if you play pen and paper RPGs, obviously.

JoinTheSchwarz and Ender Sai like this.
  9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    It's been like 8 years since I've been invested in the EU, but lol, they nuked it for petty much nothing. The first "reboot" novels look like some of the worst EU stereotypes. One's literally Vader+Palps trapped on a planet. Somehow.

cratylus likes this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Hilarity could only ensue, Even.

ophelia likes this.
  11. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Yes, I've never poked my head in over there before. It was worth the wait. Just damn amusing seeing people getting very seriously worked up.

12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    It has potential to be, uh, "fun." But yeah the premise is kind of dumb.

The Tarkin novel looks intriguing though.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It won't be.

I think the problem with Star Wars is that they've made it too big.

What worked so well with the OT, and was captured by the Thrawn Trilogy and early X-Wing books, was that you saw such a thin sliver of the world that it sparked your imagination. It was, in other words, seductive. But seduction only has an allure if you know very little; that way, your imagination takes over and drives things. It speculates.

Because Lucas could go hog wild on showing everything he could with the prequels, he did and whilst it was dazzling and breathtaking to behold, it lacked soul, depth, and interest. Locations were no longer made real and almost living, but simply backdrops to set pieces that focused on showing lots of action and little character.

Simply put, we saw too much, and what we saw changed everything. It also explains why a lot of fans, myself included, can't simply put the crappy EU and prequels aside and go back to those early novels/WEG/O-OT days.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    If something is good just enjoy it for what it is. I recall some people I know refusing to watch or support The Clone Wars in any way because it undermined certain books they'd read.
    If they had looked past their silly prejudices I think they'd have found the show highly enjoyable, I know I did.
    It makes the PT much easier to deal with.

There are a lot of positives for this new trilogy so far, including the cast. No need to be negative until something actually comes out that is worth criticising (like the script or the plot).

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So you make compromises to make the PT watchable?

Thank you for proving my point. :)

16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The PT was handicapped from the outset by telling a story many people already knew. We knew Anakin would become Vader & that Obi Wan would live to become old and be in ANH, we knew Padme wouldn't die until after she'd given birth to Luke & Leia. If you know a certain character is going to survive and at what point certain characters will die it makes putting them in perilous situations prior to that rather pointless. No point in setting up a romance we all know is going to happen already (not that Lucas really gave it much build-up anyway).
    The interest in the PT was how the story we already knew would be told, as it turns out it wasn't told all that well.

The ST has a new and original story not based on work we know, that immediately gives it an advantage over the PT. That and the screenplay has been written by decent writers, and one of the PT's biggest problems was terrible dialogue.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah I recall you liked Die Another Day, so I'm going to suggest we look for different things in movies. I like a compelling plot, you like action.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I'd prefer both. Abrams should deliver on the action and spectacle certainly, with a decent screenplay and cast he should hopefully deliver on the plot and character development side of things.
    His Star Trek movies do a good job at most of that.

But he needs to cut down on the lens flares.

19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    [face_pumpkin]

20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The movies have a good cast with great chemistry, the PT sorely lacked in the latter.
    They have flaws sure, but they show that Abrams has the ability to get right a lot of what the PT got wrong. Especially if he has a better team to help him make Star Wars than he has for Star Trek.

21. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Just read the thread where the guy burnt his EU collection . . . ah, a bracing cold draft of pure Schadenfreude. Delicious.

I'm going to hell for this. So, so, going to hell.

22. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    That man should never read comic books then.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

want/need links pls.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Link? I don't want to wade through Lit and EUC.

25. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Can you post a link for that thread? I wouldn't even know where to look in that mess that is Lit.