main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Yoda's violent death still haunts me.

Darth Punk and Ender Sai like this.
  2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    He didn't really die. He faked his death, realizing the problem with his plans. Snoke is how he looks with several decades more physical deterioration.

He is trying to engineer his own violent death so that he can gain immortality. That's what the new series is about.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I think the major miracle is that people like Luceno could sell 100,000 books, given the absolute lack of talent.
    However, it's telling he hasn't had a career outside of Star Wars. Or that only Bob Salvatore and Terry Brooks have. They stopped going for established fantasy writers when they started getting nerd rage threats?

4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I think an even bigger miracle is that someone who writes books with excruciating titles like "Sword of Shannara", "Wishsong of Shannara", and "Elfstones of Shannara" managed to write a book that sold 1.5 million copies!
    Poetic justice is that it's the TPM novelization.

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    It's not like there are any Fantasy titles that are that dazzling. "A Song of Ice and Fire" and "The Lord of the Rings" both sound like they should have a "Dragonlance" icon on their covers.

Rogue1-and-a-half and SuperWatto like this.
  6. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Maybe children's fantasy literature does a better job with titles. Chronicles of Prydain titles are all dazzling if you ask me.

SuperWatto likes this.
  7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Frank Oz is being cagey on if ghost Yoda is returning in The Last Jedi. I hope he does, as that opens the door to Hayden returning and CGI Alec Guinness.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  8. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    The post-mortem adventures of Yoda could be a Star Wars anthology series if that Han Solo thing doesn't work out.

Diggy likes this.
  9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    So look, I love Rebels, but the last episode was terrible. They literally did "Anything you can do, I can do better, I can do anything better than you" between two droids. [face_plain]

As for fantasy titles - again, my man, Joe Abercrombie.

"The Blade Itself" - taken from a line by Homer in the Odyssey: "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence."
    "Before They Are Hanged" - taken from a quote by Heinrich Heine: "We should forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged."
    "The Last Argument of Kings" - taken from the inscription Louis XIV had carved into all his cannons, Ultima Ratio Regum - the last argument of kings.

Since all the characters are dubious in honour, one would have to suggest Wocky is basically Collem West.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  11. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I saw an episode on TV today called "Mandalorian showdown". Or rather, I saw the first couple of minutes, but then had to switch channels because of its unwatchableness.
    All the characters overact. Why do they move so much? Look at this guy

It's not just the walk cycles - all the moves are as if performed by a marionettist.

It's so frustrating because scenery, spaceships, music, atmosphere are all excellent.

Diggy likes this.
  12. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Found this on Reddit. Pretty cool if you ask me.

[​IMG]

13. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    that is nicely done. The lightsaber effect is ridiculously easy to do in After Effects, but what that has is a great short story hook, and it's professionally executed. Fantastic natural light. A great location. A great gimmick with a crane-mounted camera, or someone with a handheld camera standing on a cherry picker. Something like that. truly creative.

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Crane-mounted camera? I believe it's a go-pro warn by the murder victim.While it may appear to be lifted by a crane, that's actually a trick of the camera; it's actually Vader using The Force to lift him.

15. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I hadn't thought of that. It could be a drone, one of those DJI phantoms with a 4k camera. That would be pretty cool, but I think the side-to-side movement looks handheld.

Diggy likes this.
  16. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Needs more Shooting Stars.

17. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    lovingly crafted fanfilm shorts never fail to make my day. AT-AT dog may still be my alltime favorite

Also, this film features my worst moment of misunderstanding ever in the context of Star Wars. When Vader does that motion with his hand, I thought for a split second he was demonstrating the size of his wounded opponent's penis. I know, I know. It could be a woman. Or a nonhuman without a corresponding gender attribute. Assume. Ass out of you and me.

SuperWatto and Diggy like this.
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You can't mention that film without posting at least one gif, that's poor form.

[​IMG]

19. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Not your fault, he's DOING IT WRONG

Rogue1-and-a-half and Rylo Ken like this.
  20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  21. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Love the lightsaber battle video. it took a bit to load for me so I thought it was meant to be in slow motion. Kinda chuckle when it suddenly sped up.

Thank you! That is hilariously awesome.

22. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
  23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What do you possibly want anyone to say about that?

25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    You can say whatever you wish to say about that or nothing at all. [face_dunno]