main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I won't be revealing any plot details not revealed by the trailers already, however since I am going to say what aspects I thought worked and what didn't, I'm going to put it behind spoiler tag. So:

As is revealed by the trailers, and by the ending of TFA, Rey is training with Luke in this one while the rest of the cast is somewhere else. This part of the story was underwhelming to me. Characters go through changes and growth here that I feel the movie doesn't adequately account for. I felt like we're supposed to go with it because the movie is at that point in the runtime now, and it's time to move to the next plot point. I didn't find this part of the narrative as engaging, and I didn't buy all of the developments. However, it does have some inspired spins that I quite liked, and some aspects add a new level of maturity.

What worked much better was the stories of the non-Force users. Leia, Poe, Finn and some newcomers are the ones that shine in this story IMO. The movie has a thematic throughline that is spoken by the Force users in the film, but I think it's through the other characters that the movie really displays those themes in action, whether by their own actions or by what happens to them. A level of depth and character growth is given to proceedings here that I think is unrivalled in the movies so far. I mean, characters learn lessons here. Outside of Jedi characters, when have characters in a Star Wars movie learned lessons before?

Edit: I should clarify that when I say it's meh, I don't mean that it's bad, or even disappointing. I mean that it's perfectly serviceable. It's fine. Neither bad nor amazing. It's just good. It's okay.

2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Don't read VVM's post. Don't read anything. VVM, we must do this - come with me to the movie forums.

3. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I already know what happens.

It's really a sequel to Unbreakable.

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Here is my dilemma. VVM likes a lot of my posts. But I'm going to have to guess has terrible taste (to be confirmed when I see TLJ tomorrow.

Could it be I post a load of crap?

Edit: Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, VVM just sucks :)

6. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Your mum sucks. [face_bleh]

Alpha-Red likes this.
  7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    And how!

Wait...

You know I lub you, VVM! [face_love]

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  8. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Hey, dissing the new Star Wars movie is one thing but dissing Diggy's mother really crosses the line. She's a saint!

Diggy likes this.
  9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    His dad, however, can go **** himself.

10. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    You wish you had a dad like Diggy, Guy.

Diggy likes this.
  11. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    You know, when I said it was meh, I didn't mean it was bad (I believe I made that clear in the very first post). I just meant that I wasn't blown away by it. It wasn't amazing. But it was a well made film by all means. It was entirely adequate and entertaining.

12. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    It's official: VVM hates the film and wants 2.5 hours of his life back and, if he could, he would erase his history from these forums.

Others may not understand what you meant, but I hear you VVM. I hear you.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  13. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Is it really that hard to avoid spoilers? I mean okay, I'm not a big fan of the SW sequels so maybe that makes it easier for me...but even when I do look forward to a movie, it's not that hard for me to stay mostly spoiler-free.

Edit: VVM is a girl?

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Perhaps it was serviceable in the generic, highly forgettable and ultimately pointless way many other mass produced, over-formulatized, assembly line productions are when they've been sucked of all ingenuity or genuine interest, instead replaced with a reliable evocation of some Pavlovian, profit-generating response that would make the most inhumane behaviorist proud?

EDIT: VVM is a male you fool.

Sauntaero likes this.
  15. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

Nope. Just lacking my dose of Melbourne coffee.

All fixed.

16. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    You mean like Star Wars (1977), written and directed by George Lucas, based on the Campbellian monomyth, cynically featuring such universally appealing elements as a band of freedom fighter underdogs resisting a tyrannical empire, a wide eyed country boy meeting a wise elder wizard and being swept up in swashbuckling adventure to save a princess?

Oh wait...

17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  18. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Out-Wocked would have worked fine, no?

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Not really. What you pointed out is that he borrowed liberally from existing canon. What I criticized is a near clinical focus on consciously replicating story elements that have proven highly profitable. A simple example can help us distinguish the two cases.

Mother! was a sort of weird retelling of well-known parts of the Bible. It was also an a box office failure. By contrast, Thor 3 is a film which, despite being about a literal mythological figure, deviates significantly from these story points to bank towards elements that Marvel has found commercially successful: A joking/irreverent tone, a quip-ready protagonist, etc. This, even though it violates not only the inspiring material but the characterization found in the actual previous films and the plot they seemed to be setting up for.

Sauntaero likes this.
  21. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    It's not an accident that I ended my post on Wocky's catchphrase, detective doofus.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It was...... different.

I didn't like it, but I didn't hate it.

Johnson certainly made some radical decisions.
    It both advanced the story & ended with much being the same.

Everyone was good in it, especially Hamill & Driver.

Lots of jokes, sometimes too much humour.

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  23. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I have seen this movie. There is not "too much" humour.

SuperWatto and Diggy like this.
  24. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Having had some more time to digest what I saw, I have to change my impressions. I no longer think it was merely good, but in fact very good.

I think this one is going to be remembered as the TESB of the sequel trilogy. It takes what was established in TFA and adds layers to it, elaborating and innovating in a number of very satisfying ways. As a matter of fact, I think it innovates in many respects that are admirable and impressively daring. In terms of new story beats that we haven't seen before, in terms of world building, characterisation and in the sense that it has a running thematic throughline that I don't think any of the movies have ever had before.

Much like TESB, all characters are given their moments to shine here, but beyond that they also grow and are drawn with richer colour than what I think we're used to from Star Wars. I liked that the story team were willing to tread so much new ground here, but at the same time, once it had wet my appetite for all of these innovations, I was disappointed that there wasn't even more of it.

I'm not yet sure if I like it better than TFA, but it's up there with the best. Top four, I'd say.

Darth Downunder and SuperWatto like this.
  25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I preferred TFA, as a first reaction.

soitscometothis likes this.