main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I don't know. I've read some contemporary reviews and essays that highlighted how corny and cheesy and old-fashioned everything was. They were not a majority, of course, but it's always been there, and same with the Indiana Jones saga. A throwback to how entertainment was two decades before... kind of like The Expendables. Oh no.

(And at the same time, if you try to modernize the humor, you get all the GET YOUR MARVEL OUT OF MY STAR WASR complaints, so.)

Sarge and Bacon164 like this.
  2. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Single-post

jp-30 likes this.
  3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    For the record, I was fine with most of the humour. I can sort of see the Marvel comparisons in a few instances but overall I don't think it was quite the same.

Sarge likes this.
  4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Maybe a mod can fix, though not exactly mind-blowing spoilers.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Specifically in regards to the very first joke in the movie, people are all "I don't like that, it's too Marvel, too jokey!" when we literally have this as a template:

It's that, which is just a stalling tactic from a roguish pilot...

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Good thing Juliet talked about it instead of hitting report, in a helpful manner, amirite?

Just got back from second screening. I do not know what it was - maybe it was that I had a Ready Player One trailer so I was like "ok well that is the most terrible thing ever" and was already settled into bleakness. Or maybe it's that the film has come at you from an angle you didn't expect and you have to be able to roll with the direction the plot takes to get stuff out of it.

Either way, I enjoyed it way more on the second viewing. Some parts, like
    SPACE WITCH ****ING LEIA
    will never be ok. And Rey's dialogue about Kylo Ren and the dark side if PURE PREQUEL BULL****. But, other things worked so much more. Vice Admiral Prequels and the subplots are still barking mad though.

IMPROVEMENTS/Things I Noticed This Time Around:

* Yoda looked cheap and sounded like he wasn't speaking Yodaspeak in the first viewing. I don't know why but this time I was like "oh, that's the ESB puppet, and that's how he spoke in ESB." I had to forget prequel Yoda, which was easily done. So, that scene worked well for me.

* Luke, during the face-off with Ren, does tellingly not disturb the salt crush to expose the red minerals beneath. Kylo does. You don't notice it at first but definitely did second time.

* Canto Bight is still prequels-esque, which is to say awful. The politics of it, which are just DBAB guidelines really, have the grace and subtlety of a Slowpoke thread about franchise villains.

* Vice Admiral Prequels' whole plan was basically dumb, because it was only there for an "a-ha!" moment.

JoinTheSchwarz - regarding the humour... disagree with you above. Yes, they've had their cringe worthy moments, but they were just that. Moments. This keeps going and going and going and going way past the point where it was too much. It's like when IATI is trying too hard, basically.
    Holding for Hux. I'll keep holding. Yep, still holding. Yeah, I'm on hold. Holdin' holdin' holdin... or BB8 having to be the little boy sticking his fingers in the dykes, to repair Poe's ship... it was grating, overbearing, and terrible. The only line to me that really worked was "Where are you from, Rey?" "Nowhere." "No-one's from nowhere." "Jakku". "Ok, that pretty much is nowhere..."

Daisy Ridley/Rey continues to be a revelation as an actor and character, and I know there are men (HI RICHIE) who don't like female heroes because male genocide, but they're fools. She's easily the best protagonist of the three trilogies.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    There were people here and in the world who thought Rey would be the granddaughter of Obi-Wan. To them we say:

[​IMG]

It was a terrible idea and I'm glad they were wrong.

8. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    They should like it since they're always whining about too much nostalgia & fan-service, & calling for more originality. On the other hand they're 3 miserable cynical ****s.
    I didn't even get a chance to post in it [face_waiting]
    After first viewing: was very unsure about it, bordering on disliking it. To me it was a case of the movie being too different to what I expected, & being in denial/mourning over Luke's fate at the end. After seeing it twice more I've done a 180 on this thing. I think it's astonishingly good. Some observations:

- Hamill was perfect as Luke & I've grown to appreciate his arc. Once more he saves the galaxy in the end.
    - The idea of he & Ben Solo's past incident was a stroke of genius. Seen very differently from each other's viewpoint it really plays on the "truth from a certain pov" concept. Ben Solo caught his uncle moments from murdering him. Luke knows it's his fault that Ben believes that.
    - The movie shook things up in the SW universe. Dispensing to some degree with the concept of inheritance & bloodlines. If the Force is everywhere & within every living thing why can't random nobodies be players in the Saga.
    - Loved the Leia in space scene. Goes some way to dispelling the false movie myth that being in the vacuum of space means instant death. Also shows us what would logically happen when a person who is weightless in space reaches out with the Force & pulls a starship towards them. Great combination of science & movie lore, but it does expect people to figure that out. I've seen a lot of muppets scream "how the **** can Leia fly in space?" :rolleyes: . It's a brilliant scene & probably J.Williams' best moment too.
    - Yoda's physical appearance might not have been perfect but his scene was IMO. His dialogue & his lesson to Luke about the master-student role was one of the highlights of the movie. If only Luke had not cut himself off from the Force Yoda could've been there helping him years earlier.
    - Holdo repeating the last words of the medical frigate captain before he died. "God speed Rebels". Although that phrase seems slightly anachronistic for the SW universe. Similar to Han's "I'll see you in hell". Perhaps in that sense it's an ESB homage.
    - Kylo foreshadowing Luke's fate at the end of the movie. Telling Rey that if she were behind their Force projections it would cause a strain that would kill her.
    - That Force projection idea is as brilliant as it is simple. Great idea.

Sarge likes this.
  9. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    So I've seen it 3 times now and enjoyed it more with each viewing and have had some time to process my thoughts:

What I really liked:

- The whole movie just looked great - some really beautiful shots throughout the movie.
    - I thought Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Carrie Fisher, and especially Mark Hamill were all great.
    - I liked that Rey was a "nobody" and that there wasn't some weird, shoe-horned way to make her a Skywalker/Solo/Kenobi
    - I liked that Snoke was just Snoke. I really don't know why so many people feel we need to know more about his backstory, don't we pretty much know just as much about Snoke as we did about the Emperor during the OT?
    - Basically everything from the throne room battle on was great; especially the First Order ships being taken out by Dern's character going into lightspeed and Luke showing up as a projection to confront Kylo Ren, I loved the end of the movie so much.
    - Porgs
    - Rey, I love her as a character - with TFA and this film I shared a theater with young girls who came out excited about her and telling their parents how much they love her, that is far more important to me than the feelings of the fanboys crying about her being a Mary Sue any day. I can't wait to see what is next for her.
    - I still really liked BB-8, I know others didn't like how he was used as much this time but I still found him to be great.
    - General Hux. I know people are split on him but I'm in the camp that enjoys the character and how over the top he is.
    - There were a few scenes that really got to me. Luke asking "Where's Han", seeing Luke and Leia together again, and Luke's death looking at the sunset.

Things that I liked better after another viewing:

- The Leia in space thing. The first time I cringed. I was glad she lived but it seemed kind of dumb to me. The 2nd time it didn't bother me as much and thinking about it I kind of thought it works just as well as a little green goblin lifting a spaceship out of a swamp or an old wrinkled dude shooting lightening out of his fingers.
    - The Yoda scene. Actually, I really like this scene now after thinking something was off initially. The first time I had trouble hearing Yoda and was still kind of shocked to see him, but watching it again it worked for me. I also totally missed the Jedi texts being in the Falcon at the end of the movie the first time I watched it, which made Yoda's line about there not being anything in the tree that Rey didn't already possess make more sense.
    - Luke. This isn't how I had imagined Luke's story to go. I had to think about it and kind of accept that this is the way it is. Watching it again I was able to appreciate his story more and just how broken he was. I think they gave as good a reason as they could for him going into exile and I think his death was very well done, even though I still kind of wish it hadn't happened.

Things that still don't work for me:

- As many have mentioned, some of the humor was just off. Not even close enough for me to hate the movie like some people do but it was definitely off to me in a few parts.
    - The Finn/Rose looking for the code breaker really could have been edited - there was just too much there and it took up more time than it needed to.
    - The whole beef between Dern's Admiral character and Poe was a bit too much. I really don't buy that she couldn't have just told him/them the plan and cut out the whole mutiny thing. Yeah it would have made Leia's return different but I don't think it would have made the Admiral's sacrifice any less meaningful or the way she took out the First Order ships any less awesome.

So yeah, I'm firmly in the "really liked it" camp but I certainly had conflicting feelings at first and do get why some people aren't as happy with it as I am.

DarthTunick and Sarge like this.
  10. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Rew likes this.
  11. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Does anyone have any thoughts on the significance of...

...the gold die?

PS: can we do away with spoiler tags around 20 December?

12. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    carrie fisher in space was the best part of the movie

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  13. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    so have the boards been down all night ?

Mark Hamill was on the Graham Norton show last night , he was great , plenty of stories etc.

TLJ - I'd like to see it again , but I'm gonna find a cheap screening , its gotten too damn expensive here

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    My main issue with the film is
    as many others have said, the Canto Bight part. And not because I don't like it or I think it's a prequel planet (I guess any world that's not a desert is one of those): I like the idea, I love the idea of seeing space Monte Carlo and finally seeing the lower classes of the galaxy, but I feel like that plot and the whole Supremacy plot should have been streamlined and perhaps turned into one. Canto Bight should have been more fleshed out, because it's an intriguing location that we barely see. As it stands, the movie has four acts, or maybe two second acts. I guess the script should have had another pass, probably also improved the mutiny plot... I don't know.

It's an existing Falcon prop, although redesigned.

[​IMG]

DebonaireNerd and Sarge like this.
  15. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I’m trying to give the film a five act structure in my head but in that structure the first two acts are a bit unclear. But I don’t see two second acts, I see two distinct climaxes or third acts. The film’s plotting doesn’t bother me both because the film moves briskly and the mechanisms of the plot don’t spin at the expense of the characters. It’s as if Rian watched Luke dangling at the bottom of Cloud City and asked, “How can I give every main character that moment?"

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  16. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but...

If Admiral Laura Dern had just told Poe about their plan then they'd have got to the planet without a problem, more of the Resistance would've survived and Luke would probably still be alive, right? The only reason the First Order found about the transports was because Benecio Del Toro told them, isn't it? No Space Monte Carlo, no Del Toro, no exploding transports and ex Jedi Masters.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  17. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Yes all of the characters are fallible I’m glad you understand the film

Ghost likes this.
  18. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005

Why won't the characters talk to each other though? There's no reason for that particular plan to not be divulged.

19. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Poe asks why she’s keeping the cards close to her chest. And the answer’s in the opening scene.

ukijedi and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  20. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Looks like fan disgruntlement is no match for a fully operational box office - second biggest Friday ever

Rew likes this.
  21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The ability to destroy an audience approval score is insignificant next to the power of franchise inertia.

22. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    There were two die so I would say golden dice. Anyway, from what I've read/heard, those type of dice are used in the game Sabacc. Han won the Falcon from Lando fair and square supposedly in a game of Sabacc. Therefore, in my opinion, Han keeps the dice as a souvenir of his good fortune. The dice also represent a piece of Han and the Falcon. If I were a betting man, I'd put a good amount of money that we'll see them again this May.

I don't remember what Luke says to Leia word for word as he hands the "dice" to her, but from what I gather is he makes the statement that Han will always be with them and Kylo/Ben is lost and beyond saving. If was pretty much the opposite conversation Luke had with Leia before going to save their father.

23. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003

Wow, not the same thing at all, imo. The Star Wars scene has Han trying to explain away why all the cameras are out in that sector of the detention block, and the humour comes from him inexpertly struggling to give a credible answer. The Imperial officer on the other end is unconvinced, having noticed Han's obvious lack of professionalism (and credible excuse). I find it quite believable and, if you've ever tried to cover-up something on the fly, horribly familiar.

The Last Jedi scene, on the other hand, comes straight out of some frat-boy comedy.
    Hux, despite having risen to near the top of the First Order military structure, plays witless foil to Poe's cool-guy hero; he's facing off against an inferior enemy fleet, yet stops to let Poe make fun of him for a painfully long time with a terribly unfunny joke which I struggle to believe anyone I've ever met would fall for, let alone a military commander in a top position in a serious fighting force.
    Hux is in no way a credible character, he's pretty much TLJ's equivalent of that awful sheriff from Live and Let Die. If he was a dim-witted minion on a backwater planet it might work, but as the leader of a major space-fleet I thought it was embarrassing.

I liked a lot of the humour in TLJ, but I thought that particular scene was just indefensible.

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I had no problem with that joke. I've overheard too many conversations on airplane and traffic control radios that sounded a lot like that; it was totally credible to me.

cratylus likes this.
  25. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Oh God, really?

That's... just depressing. And worrying.