main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I have issues with the "everyone is old now but we're still doing everything we used to do" approach that EF mentioned above.

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Exactly... the roles could be played by other people. If the characters are being brought back, it isn't really required that they be played by the same actors. Ewan was a great Obi-Wan. Also, I think the idea of cameos by Ford, Fisher, and Hammil is a pretty cheesy idea, to be honest.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Luke as an old, wise Yoda-type figure I think would be fine and wouldn't exactly require Hamill to do very much.

cratylus and Juliet316 like this.
  4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    [​IMG]

jp-30 likes this.
  5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    No way in hell would they have other people playing old Luke, Han, or Leia. It was a totally different scenario with Obi-Wan in the PT. You can't make an actor alive again and suddenly younger for a prequel. But with a sequel, with those actors still kicking around, it would be incredibly weird to pretend someone totally different was Han Solo. That would be the most ridiculous thing ever and no way would they do it.

As I've been saying over and over, my preference would be a sequel set far enough in the future that they're all dead legends. Thousands of years could be cool, as Daveed said, however my feeling is that they'll still want to connect it to the Skywalker family more. So I'd bet instead on something involving grandchildren or great-grandchildren. I do think it would be cool to do something more disconnected, but that's probably not going to happen. So this would be the best route.

I would be for Artoo and Threepio being in them, though. There's something kind of fantastic about the notion that these two droids, one quite clever and the other fairly oblivious, have wandered through such important bits of galactic history. They're like the Forest Gumps of the GFFA :p

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Luke shouldn't talk funny like Yoda, but there's no reason he can't occupy a similar role or have the Obi Wan role in the new trilogy whoever he might be played by

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Be in the first bit and then die? I wouldn't mind it. If they insist on having one of the big three in the film, as I said, Luke in a brief Obi-Wan role would be the only thing I could see.

But Hamill would still need to get in better shape.

8. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    They can start from scratch and it will still be Star Wars, so long as it sets out to do what Star Wars initially did, which is to pay homage to storytelling, really. There's plenty of material to draw out of the same well that Star Wars initially drew from. It's out there, but instead whoever has been running the show has decided to focus on the things people are familiar with from itself, instead of looking outside to other things, and so we end up with things like the PT, and I'm very afraid we'll just be getting more Clone Wars(which I have nothing against, really. I don't watch it. But whatever).

Calling it Episode VII shouldn't mean that it has to be the next episode, because the whole "episode" thing in the first place is an homage. Star Wars used to be special because it was film; now we're here talking about the Star Wars movies because they've become a franchise of movies. I don't mean that derogatorily, I love movies, but it's not often that any movie "franchise" is any good once it gets past 3 or 4; because at that point they're making movies, and not films(again, I'm not bashing movies; I'm trying to create a separation between making something for entertainment's sake and making something artistic, which I think Star Wars initially was but has sadly fallen away from).

I don't believe this new movie will be done in anything like the spirit of the first film(or even second or third). It's not going to be Bambi, I fear, but Bambi II.

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    What...? Why is this something that needs to be said? Do you think Yoda spoke that way due to age or something?!

10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    He spoke that way because he's a weird alien, same reason Jar Jar speaks as he does.

I meant it more in that when I say he could have a Yoda role I don't mean he should be some mad isolated hermit who speaks in a confusing way. I'm sure when the OT first came out some thought Yoda's dialogue was because he was a bit mad. The PT showed he talks like that all the time anyway

11. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Lucas has always said the one constant from Episodes I to IX would the robots, so if he has any say in this new Trilogy at all the robots will be in it (as long as Anthony isn't too old to put the suit on of course, though even then C3PO can probably easily be CGI'd with Anthony doing the voice)

I'd put money on the robots being in it. A very old Chewbacca is also possible? But as far as Luke, Han and Leia are concerned I'm not sure. Luke maybe as the wise Obi-Wan/Yoda type figure perhaps, but I have real doubts Han and Leia will feature.

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Or Luigi it could be like New Trek which, IMHO, is much better than the old films. It kind of depends on how much they consider this sort of a reboot. Not to wipe out anything else that happened, understand. I just mean if they try to make it a bit more separated from the OT they could make it fresh. There's just no possible way to know what they are even thinking right now.

13. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    i still can't believe we are talking about the sequel trilogy for real.

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I guess with Chewie, and to an extent even the droids it would depend how far in the future the movies are set. I would think even a droid would sturggle to run well and be the same after 1000 years, more likely R2 & 3PO would have been replaced by the next generation of droids by then.

Something like 100 years ahead would be OK if you wanted Chewie & droids in it

15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Carrie Fisher is the best.

17. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I watched the roast of Roseanne recently, and she was ****ing hilarious... easily the best one.

19. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Yeah, get it out of this forum, stat.

20. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    She was very good, but Gottfried I thought was the best.

21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I can't stand Gilbert Gottfried.

22. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Of course. As soon as we finish setting up the Episode VII forum.

23. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Suddenly that old Episode VII April Fools Day forum doesn't look so foolish now.

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah,. for real... my JCC is starting to stink like fanboy.

25. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    27 pages? That was quick!