main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Didn't you say you were going elsewhere?

2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    all are welcome. cross over to the light 2K-D2.

3. 2K-D2

2K-D2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 4, 2016
    I was.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Is there a coherent defence of the prequels which doesn't involve having to add in layers of interpretation inherently absent from the narrative - explicitly or implicitly - in order to make it work?

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    No.

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes I know this Vivec, it was more my way of saying that Random Astromech Droid Name hadn't done much in the way of his promised "g37 r3k7" nonsense and he should try it?

7. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    He did.
    But he didn't realize he was defending a scene, he thought he was defending random bits.
    Make of that what you will.

8. 2K-D2

Aug 4, 2016
    Define "defence".

Why should I do "much" on a fluff thread like this? ;)

I "thought" I "defended" "random bits"?

You're making less sense than Pyrogenic.

9. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    It's no fluff thread, pinned to the top thusly. That's a sure sign of seriousness.

Ender Sai likes this.
  10. 2K-D2

Aug 4, 2016
    It's a load ay huff'n'fluff.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes and as adults we accepted the prequels were utterly naff and a distraction. We are grateful that they were as stupid, bloated, awful and terrible as they were because it's given us Rogue One and TFA. But that's about it.

DarthCricketer and SuperWatto like this.
  12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Would we not have got those anyway?
    The poor quality of the Prequels didn't stop Disney buying the franchise. Had they been as great as the OT then Disney likely would have tried much earlier

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Richard, there was a sense of a rescue mission with TFA; we have to make it good, because Revenge of the **** and Attack of the Drones were still busy ****ing the joy of the franchise into the ground with its paper thin characters being the focus of all saga related merchandise.

By which I mean, that the Clone Wars cartoon was better than the films doesn't meant it was good. It just means the bar was so low they couldn't fall over it.

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  15. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Looks like the quality of the PT can be ascertained by looking at the quality of posts from those who expound it.

16. 2K-D2

Aug 4, 2016
    Obviously it was so good that you had to "tl;dr" it :D

"Hey, man, here's my criticism, see? you can't explain that!
    ....."
    "Here's how it's wrong".
    "oh, um.... oh! didn't read lol"
    :D

Look, you couldn't defend your opinion if you tried, alright?

You can hide behind this thread, saying "we don't do discus here LOL", but if you were on a proper thread somewhere where people DID discuss, you wouldn't be able to defend your opinion.

No one can.

So, that'd be a response to all your future "beyting" :D

17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    In Ender's defence, who the heck wants to talk about the PT?

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    If you can be bothered we've been over it in detail before, and without the added benefit of borderline illiteracy trying to defend the indefensible with passive-aggressive annoyance.

You're 722 pages in, and assuming the topic never came up before. Good job mate.

19. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    2K, I have now had the time to read your wordy reply. It was bizarre. You judged every line in a scene I posted separately, totally oblivious to the direct context - while the context there is the prequels' biggest fault. You must truly love these films, to be able to lose yourself in details on that level.

I guess there was a time many of the people here did that. But then we looked at the bigger picture, and we came here. Welcome.

20. 2K-D2

Aug 4, 2016
    Wait, I thought you said "nah man this is just a thread for chillin', we don't like pretentious stuff here" - but now it's "we've all made points and that's why"?
    Wow - lots of cognitive dissonance here it seems...

So.. you've had 722 pages of going over it "in detail" huh?
    I bet this post here is the best critical piece on these movies on all of these 722 pages.

That "in detail going" never holds much water - I've seen things, I've been places, trust me. ;-)

According to Ender, who liked your post, obviously you all for 722 pages :D

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Did you parents especially hate you, or was it more they were just unable to provide you with a basic, let alone good, education?

I'm genuinely curious here.

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    2k, you said it in your own "defense" of the prequels. they aren't the terrible train wrecks that people want to make them out to be, the prequels are mediocre. that was apparently the best defense you could muster. not exactly high praise. unfortunately, and this might sound paradoxical, being mediocre is what makes them terrible. there is nothing more boring than mediocrity, and no worse fate for the franchise could have been imaginable to those of us raised on the ot. at least a spectacular failure would have been interesting. that would have been something to talk about. instead we have the most insistent defenders of mediocrity i have ever encountered, and the rest of us who really don't need to relive the spiritless, mind-numbing experience. i haven't watched a prequel since 2005. i'm unlikely to ever watch one again. why would i want to keep talking about them? it's fine if people like them, and i will exercise my right to think those people are weird and not talk to them.

23. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I get up 30 minutes early each day just so I can hate the prequels longer.

Pretty much the only thing I'd salvage is the music, especially the TPM score. I wish I could listen to it without getting 'Nam flashbacks though. It's telling that the scores get butchered in the films, AOTC notably. Bizarre cut-ups, stray cues, chunks missing, and so forth. It sometimes sounds as if you're inside the head of a crazy person.

24. 2K-D2

Aug 4, 2016
    Wait... the jarring tonal shift was actually the point of your post??

Well gee, I wish I'd guessed that correclty, then I wouldn't have proceeded to make that very point, in an elaborate form, in my response :D

"The context" was the main point of my post - and, unlike your post apparently, mine didn't rely on people to guess its meaning.

So... I'm oblivious to context huh? You've read that post 3 times now - that's more than enough to at least have gotten the basic jist of it, don't you think?

Christ.

I don't "muster" anything, I just do proper film critique - unlike you ;)

When people say "mediocre is the most terrible", what they mean is that... oh wait here you're explaining it anyway:

Well as I was saying, what they mean is that actual horrible quality is more memorable, entertaining, or provides more opportunity to make fun of - doesn't go for every kind of horrible movie though; weird bizarre horror flicks, yes, Life of Timothy Green, NO.
    I'd prefer that horrendous singing scene to have been mediocre, rather than the complete abortion it was.

Point is, what I'm about is film criticism - "average"/"horrendous" is the verdict, and "therefore horrible for franchise"/"at least spectacular lol" is up to the people and how they want their "ironic bad movie session".

That part doesn't really concern me that much - the verdict is what's important, and if the verdict is "5%", then it's nonsense.

Well, you people are calling it a spectacular failure - so pick one already.

People talk about it all the time - like you right now :D

Hey, at least right now I'm euphoric at being a better film critic than you, and having more focused thought than you ;)

Then don't :D

Why did you write this?

That's just the last act, thoe.

25. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I posted a scene and said it sucked.
    You have convinced nobody that it doesn't.

DarthCricketer likes this.