main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There were aspects of the PT I enjoyed. But using terms like "theme" and "tone" and "context" and "symbolism" to defend them is not endearing.

If the only people who can enjoy the PT are those who enjoy analyzing the hell out of everything in a film or literary analysis class, they are not good movies.

2. 2K-D2

2K-D2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 4, 2016
    If that's the whole extent of what you can argue, I'm not gonna take you seriously.

In what way did it suck? What "context"?
    Was it the relation between "unlimited power" and the next bit? Or the relation between Sidious and Anakin's lines?

Do you even know? Or did you just say "omg context" to sound smart?

Tone is how a movie FEELS.
    Context matters - you can't just quote the Bible out of context... Satan might've said it!

Symbolism exists in movies, though it's certainly not at the forefront here, and should be analyzed with the proper scrutiny instead of leaping to conclusions like most do. Not my area anyway, though.
    Themes also exist.

All of those things can be used in praise as well as condemnation - as anyone who reads the word "tone" might be aware of ;)

Then they would've received a 5% on aggregates, because most people don't like literary analysis class ;)

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm assuming when you see Sith at age....8? It and the preceding atrocities are something you defend for life.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  4. 2K-D2

Aug 4, 2016
    That sounds appropriately arrogant and condescending for someone who's probably not one bit better at defending or backing up their views than Super Watto.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The Bible and Satan?

I had no idea we were comparing Star Wars to ancient fairy tales and fictional characters.

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    And Watto is much better than you at defending views. Just because you say you're good at critiquing something, doesn't mean you are. And if I'm condescending toward you, it's because you've posted nothing that deserves anything else.

7. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Not just the last act--watch the meadow picnic scene again. Bizarro, the Superman villain, has edited the score. If you don't care however because it's "just the last act", fine, then I guess you're someone who views the glass as half full. But you must realize that in your case, that means the glass is half full with piss.

8. 2K-D2

Aug 4, 2016
    ayy lmao

Look through this exchange here:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...rs-in-the-jcc.50004769/page-720#post-53777173
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...rs-in-the-jcc.50004769/page-720#post-53777207
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...rs-in-the-jcc.50004769/page-722#post-53778120
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...rs-in-the-jcc.50004769/page-722#post-53778132
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...rs-in-the-jcc.50004769/page-722#post-53778262
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...rs-in-the-jcc.50004769/page-722#post-53778281
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...rs-in-the-jcc.50004769/page-723#post-53778290
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...rs-in-the-jcc.50004769/page-723#post-53778312

lol no

Ah, meadow picnic... lol I always zoned out during those :D

9. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    stop giving the troll attention, plz.

a star war and soitscometothis like this.
  10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    But he's talking garbage. It's fun to point out.

Yes, a victory in this exchange for me!

DarthCricketer likes this.
  11. 2K-D2

Aug 4, 2016
    If you knew what a "troll" is, you'd recognize Diggy as one - reads through exchange where SuperWatto barely makes any points at all, I make lots of points, and then says "yea Watto can defend his points!"

That's trolling.
    I, on the other hand, am as straightforward as it gets.

Pick a better term next time.

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    No, you're definitely the troll here.

13. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    You said you were leaving. Are you going to or not?

14. 2K-D2

Aug 4, 2016
    "Trolls" don't go into a thread and say "hey, you want a debate or not" - if you're this open and direct, you're not a troll.

Words have meanings.

You all could've easily said "no we don't", and I would've long stopped posting.

That's not what you did.

Instead you go "alright fine here's an argument".
    And then you keep responding.
    [​IMG]

I stopped posting, then you started namedropping me again, and now digging up previous "conversations" (i.e. before I said this isn't going anywhere and left).

Hey, could it be that you're kind of the most cognitively dissonant thread/sub in existence?
    "Fine, go away already".
    "But here's a response to your post!"
    "Oh gee, stop replying to us, just go already!"
    "Although, our response was solid though you can't deny that! Your opinion is dumb lol"
    "oh wait, no, don't reply to me saying your opinion is dumb, weren't you leaving?"

Bizarre.
    I'll probably just go on to address your "points" in a more productive venue ; - )

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Sorry, you seem to have me confused with someone you can argue the point with.

16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Ramza, as they say in the most romantic of all languages - German - Ich liebe dich.

yankee8255 likes this.
  17. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    2K-D2, do you happen to also go by any of the following names on the internet (and some on this site):
    1.) lGrandeAnhoop (on this site, reddit)
    2.) Wasserkopp (shmups.system11.org)
    3.) Standardon-Nameaux (on this site, Comic Book Resources forum)
    4.) El Nameaux-Standardon (FriendsInYourHead forum)

Just wondering, what's the point in contesting a "verdict" that is rooted in subjectivity? Like if someone posts a line of dialogue they think is awful and you "refute" that by saying it "flows, and creates the proper atmosphere", have you really convinced anyone to turn around and start liking that line? And furthermore, have you done anything besides simply give your own opinion on that line to refute said criticism?

And that's really what this comes down to: personal opinions. Yes, some people, including those on this thread, state said opinion like it's an objective fact, but they don't go on crusades all around the internet to "prove" people wrong. The most you can refute is their position of objectivity by saying something like "You may think that line is awful, but I happen to think it flows and sets up the atmosphere quite nicely". Ultimately, there's just no way around that kind of a stalemate.

Since we're on the topic of the prequels, my stance is that I also enjoy aspects of them, just not nearly as much as the original movies.

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You know, ordinarily I request people not try to "catch" other users' socks from different forums, but in this case it turns out it's a permabanned user's sock! Thanks for that.

19. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    Oh sorry about that. But at the same time, no problem!

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Did he say trolls don't debate?

Silly boy.

21. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I love this place. People stick up for you when you are asleep, and when you wake up everything has been dealt with swiftly and cleanly. And you can read it all back at leisure.

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Did you take a nice 16 hour nap?

23. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I wish. Six hours of sleep, two hours of driving, eight hours of meetings

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013

[face_dancing]