main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think if we go Room 237 we have to start contending the Prequels predicted the future. [Insert 2016 election joke].

Rylo Ken likes this.
  2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Palpatine is running against Jar Jar Binks?

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Nooooooooooo!

Michael Leader, the Stormtrooper who bumped his head on the DS has died.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Geez I don't read this thread for a week and you have a multipage debate on the *prequels* of all things?

I get that there are prequel fans. I, too, suffered from Stockholm syndrome and forced myself to find things to like about them. They were all we had.

But it's really feeling like there were a handful of ppl who liked the PT and are super bitter TFA was so successful by repudiating the PT.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    These fans might be more bitter about their God no longer being in charge of the series.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    (But srsly I get that there is a whole generation that grew up on the PT and thinks of it as SW etc etc. Whatever, they can like what they want.

But the people in that group who dislike TFA for moving away from the prequels and changing what SW media looks like... gee, it's almost as if now they get why we were upset at the PT!

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've seen people try to shovel an incredible amount of symbolism and "subtext" and **** into TFA as well.

SuperWatto likes this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You know who else cares about subtext and symbolism? Kylo Ren.

Don't be like Kylo Ren.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    TPM was pretty successful back in the day. I don't think a SW movie making lots of money is the problem. It's good for the franchise.

Although TFA is too much of an ANH remake for my liking, it's way more watchable than the PT movies.

Maybe Rogue One will be the great equaliser. Enough references to the Prequels but styled just like the OT.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    But Kylo Ren has feelings and puppy dog eyes and great taste in shampoo.

And he treats Rey like his guest, just like the Beast in the fairy tale.

Didn't you see the bridal carry? It's meaningful.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  11. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    I think the symbolism stuff should be more "icing on the cake" rather than the main course. Like if all that symbolism is there in place of actual substance, then it's not gonna be too enjoyable of a movie. Unless of course you happen to prioritize that stuff; then it'll be the best movie in the world! But for me, if a movie is like a pyramid, then believable/interesting characters and story should be at the base creating the foundation, whereas something like ring theory would be the upper-most piece & not really necessary for the rest of the structure to stand (kind of like this very post, since I used a metaphor that was ultimately not necessary to make my point).

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Subtext and symbolism are fine, just like how Kylo Ren is right that his lightsaber looks totally rad. It's when they're conflated with value and quality that appraisals derail, and that's the major problem when they usually come up in internet discussions - just like how Kylo Ren's lightsaber is unstable and a bit crappy.

What I'm getting at here is I really like Kylo Ren's lightsaber.

13. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    This is so like when that film God's not dead came out.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Subtext and symbolism are the garnish and seasonings of a well-cooked meal. If the meal is half-baked, you can't just dump a bunch of salt on it and call it tasty.

But if the food is good, then yes, seasoning can make it an amazing experience.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

15. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I remember something Lucas said at the time. I don't remember when, might have even been before TPM came out. He said - lol - he said that he wanted to make the characters more like 1930s and 1940s characters, more aloof and more elaborate. After all, this would be about civilization! Whereas all we'd seen in the OT was junk.

He took it too far. What a strange, costly, financially succesful but critically utterly failed adventure. I'll admit I think it's courageous. To turn Star Wars into a big-budget arthouse project. But it's so jarring, and that's why it fails.

16. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, I honestly admire what Lucas was trying to do. I even suspect that he was trying to, in his own way, make an anti-war trilogy. Kill his own monster, basically.

It just didn't work out. The result is disastrous.

Darth Guy likes this.
  17. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Kylo Ren is the best Star Wars villain we've had in a long time.

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Nonsense, think about all those memorable post-PT EU villains like...

... Um... that one guy! Who did the stuff! The villainous stuff. He sure was distinct.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    You mean Glork Karblop.

a star war and jp-30 like this.
  20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I can't even tell if that's a joke.

21. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I liked it when Glork kept sneezing.

22. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    It was way better than Grievous' coughing.

23. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
  24. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
  25. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Nice box.