main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    No one is forcing you to be here. And I'm not sure you're asking the right person to get a life if your only joy is the topic of discussion in a single Star Wars thread on a forum otherwise dedicated to not discussing Star Wars on a site that is dedicated to Star Wars.

2. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Yeah, Watto. You're a Dutchman discussing US politics on a Star Wars message board. We're all morons here. You hardly have any grounds to tell anyone here to get a life. At least Wocky has never been tragic enough to voluntarily be a mod, unlike you and me. :p

3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    That movie you enjoy is bad!

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    wish death upon someone, sure. wishing the film forums upon them is a step too far.

5. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I wish we didn't discuss Star Wars in the JCC.

yankee8255 likes this.
  6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I wish I could wish this thread away.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I wish the new trailer would come out.

... Partially to reroute this thread, mostly to make me forget that Star Trek trailer.

Sarge likes this.
  8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I love that the Star Trek seems to have accepted the trailer I posted as valid.

9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I wish I could just wish away my feelings, but I can't.

10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Sharp as a tack, is our Tony.

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    He catches on pretty quick.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The entire thread is one big cluster ****.

14. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Because Jabba-wocky can't get it elsewhere

15. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    In all seriousness, when thinking about movies, I'm reminded from CinemaSins that no movie is without sin and TFA is no exception. We heard reports of J.J. Abrams and Kathleen Kennedy sitting down and speaking for hours on what kind of person Luke Skywalker is and that is what convinced JJ to say yes to directing and writing TFA. But what did we find out? We find out he's the type of guy that goes into hiding just like his predecessors did when **** went bad. Well what the heck happened to him?

We get some information but TFA isn't his story, sure his influence is felt, but it's the story about how a bunch of people we know and people we never met before came together to solve a problem. We got that in TPM too, but we got a lot of blockades and meetings and politics and a lot of stuff that just wasn't fun. So JJ took all that non fun background information out and we're getting those nuggets about the First Order and the Resistance from the comics, novels, and visual dictionaries. Personally, I have no problem with that.

Luke wanted to join "the academy" in a ANH. He wasn't talking about the Rebel Academy. Obi-wan mentions the Clone Wars and the Jedi Knights that existed before the dark times. We get bits and pieces of the past and that was enough at the time, but now it appears that some of us expect more.

Well thanks to Disney we are getting more and what we don't get we can use the power of imagination and make up our own minds based on our own personal experiences with each movie. Is Boba Fett alive in the Sarlacc? Did Vader let Luke win their final battle? Did Mace Windu survive the fall? Where does Yoda come from? Is Ahsoka alive? What happens to the Ghost crew? Some answers we may get definitive answers and some we won't, but I definitely look forward to what we do get and I hope it's an enjoyable experience.

16. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    IF the Star Trek thread gets a little more active, it can join The Politics Thread and this one in the Axis of Morons.

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The higher ed thread wants to know why you're ignoring it.

18. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

I don't disagree. The points i made, which Wocky's algorithms failed to adequately understand, was that the organic responses to the first film were being engineered here. Hence the point about the Campbell stuff being filtered through the ANH take on it. It's basic a modern, lovingly accurate replicate of the classic British AC Cobra - everything but the soul of the original is there. And the replica might be soulful as all get out, but it's not the same.

However, as Ramza said - and I do note you're saying this too, so I'm not disagreeing here - it's also clear they're going for the veiled approach where things will magically become clear as more films come out.

I feel like this is a more visceral approach, hence why an unstoppable trolling machine of pure logic is finding it a bit iffy.

19. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Bulgaria gets ignored in the Axis too you know.

20. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Have you ever once tried to reckon with the notion that perhaps this is a terrible goal? That the rest of us, like any child, could see their ham-fisted attempt to recreate ANH, but also saw how bizarre it was to imagine that the only way you can have commercial success is by almost remaking something that already exists in the same franchise? Trying to justify every sacrifice as being in service of a larger purpose doesn't mean anything if that larger purpose is dumb.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So is missing the point with with a DEX of 22 and mutliple ranks in dodge. :)

22. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    None of the sentences in my previous post were constructed in such a fashion as to allow a response starting with "so is." Two were questions and one was a general statement.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ok let's try this is really simple terms then - you're arguing with me on a matter of opinion. When I point out that you've missed stated plot points you turn around the debate the merit of the plot as a whole. It would be like me correcting you on the lyrics to say "I was looking back to see if you were looking back at me to see me looking back at you" and you saying "Safe From Harm is a very difficult song to dance to."

Ok mate. Great. Tops. Good stuff.

24. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    The two points you offered don't clarify anything.

1. The Rey thing is incidental to the film. It doesn't tell you anything about the First Order. You may as well point out that at one point in the film TIE Fighters had a goal of shooting down X-wings.

2. You are hanging your hat on "this is the last day of the Republic, a regime that acquiesed to disorder?" Really? What, beyond generically disliking the Republic, does that even say? Was his problem with the disorder? With the acquiescence only? Something else.

There is huge, bizarre gap in this film insofar as several of the main characters are deeply familiar with the First Order, the film acts like we should know, but they don't offer any real explanation. Your two fleeting moments don't substantively alter that, which is why I hadn't bothered to address it.

25. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I bet Chris Cornell read this thread after his concert last night.