main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Well, your first memory is a lot more benign than mine. My first encounter with a star war left me feeling cold, shaken, and quite frankly bereaved. I uttered a ululating wail which lasted for days then sucked on my thumb and didn't talk for weeks.

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    TPM was your first?

ShaneP and Darth_Invidious like this.
  3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Nah, must've been AOTC.

4. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    The first Star Wars film I saw was ROTJ. It was on cable television on a Sunday afternoon, circa 91-92 (I don't remember what channel it was on), then when my mom got the Star Wars Trilogy VHS set for Christmas in 1995, I saw ESB. I didn't get around to seeing ANH until the 1997 SE rereleases, so I saw the OT in the opposite order.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    More like ROTS.

Diggy likes this.
  6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'll amend.

7. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    My first exposure to Star Wars was at a friend's house about a week before it opened. They had a TIME magazine subscription, and I read the review:

and my 11 year old self says, "Hardy Boys? Count me IN!"

8. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    1979 re-release for me.

4 years old and my mother explained to me I sat silent with a look of awe on my face the entire time.

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Your original impression was correct.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    It's the 40th anniversary of Star Wars and National Towel Day. 42. 1138.

[​IMG]

11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

I'll go for the compromise and say it was the Prequel trilogy marathon on SpikeTv.

12. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  13. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Happy birthday Star Wars. If not for you I would have fewer friends, and never seen Scotland!

14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Amen to this.

First film was Star Wars, on a VHS tape recorded from TV, in 1982 at the age of 2.5. First figure was ROTJ Luke, whom I still have at home. I saw ROTJ in cinemas when it was released and never looked back. Droids on TV, Heir to the Empire on release, West End Games RPG when it was current (and you know, actually used it for RPG and not for looking at stats like a Lit weirdo).

Back when it was good, before the special editions and prequels and bad EU which so rightfully died.

lol @ the EU.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    You did get the Holiday Special though

That's a great review.

I looked up others:

San Francisco Chronicle

"Every dollar is on the screen, and if 'Star Wars' doesn't get at least half a dozen Oscar nominations, I will eat my Wookiee"

Variety

"Like a breath or fresh air, 'Star Wars' sweeps away the cynicism that has in recent years obscured the concepts of valor, dedication and honor. Make no mistake -- this is by no means a "children's film," with all the derogatory overtones that go with that description. This is instead a superior example of what only the screen can achieve, and closer to home, it is another affirmation of what only Hollywood can put on a screen."

LA Times

"'Star Wars' is Buck Rogers with a doctoral degree but not a trace of neuroticism or cynicism, a slam-bang, rip-roaring gallop through a distantly future world... What happens and how it all ends hardly matters. The narrative space is jet-propelled or rocket-thrust and the invention is continuous, the crafts and sets and space complexes genuinely amazing in their minute detailing and believability."

The Guardian

"It isn't the best film of the year, it isn't the best science fiction ever to be translated to the screen... But it is, on the other hand, enormous and exhilarating fun for those who are prepared to settle down in their seats and let it all wash over them. Which, I firmly believe, with the extra benefit of hindsight, is more or less exactly what the vast majority of the cinema-going public want just now."

And I think that sums up well why we love it.
    Unparalleled escapism, taking us far far away to forget about the troubles of the real world.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    And precisely why the prequels were awful.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "Buck Rogers with a doctoral degree" is great.

cratylus likes this.
  18. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The Prequels were made with a lot of new technology at the time, Lucas once again leading the way forward so others could improve upon what he did.

It's a shame they ended being nothing more than a testing ground for the digital age. At least the OT was both pioneering & well made

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yeah, that's the problem. Not the awful story, script and acting.

Ender Sai likes this.
  20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    "The biggest failing of the prequels was perhaps that Lucas was too pioneering. People couldn't apprecaite his brilliance at the time."

cratylus likes this.
  21. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I actually don't recall seeing a star war before a couple weeks ago in the JCC.

DarthTunick and Amon_Amarth like this.
  22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You missed a star war saying killing an ant is the same as killing a human? You're missing out.

23. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I first remember watching the trilogy in the summer of 98 and it blowing me away. It was the 95 VHS release so I got to see the theatrical versions. I had a friend who was cleaning out their house so I got the trilogy set for free, at that point I had only seen the trench run on TV. I even had a Death Star trench cake but had yet to watch a full movie! That fateful night I remember reaching the end of ROTJ and wanted to watch it all again, but it was far past my bedtime at that point. The next day that same friend gave me their collection of Star Wars Insider magazines. The next weekend my parents had found a tub of Power of the Force figures with a X-Wing and TIE fighter at a garage sale and I was in Star Wars heaven!

24. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    *delurks*

Happy 40th anniversary and ta all of you for the crazy ride! SW was a phenomenon in its own right, and then the fan community(ies) made it even more extraordinary, lasting decades.

(Did not expect to get all emoshe, but here we go. :p)

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    The PT is not completely bad.

My first encounter with Star Wars was in 1999 when I was US as an exchange student and saw TPM for the first time - and thought it was the best film ever (in my defence, I was 16 and stupid). :p Anyway, that prompted me to watch the OT on VHS and I was sold. A year later I registered here, where I eventually met Everton.

So yeah, if it hadn't been for the PT, I probably wouldn't have become a Star Wars fan, wouldn't have registered here, wouldn't have gone to Celebration Europe in 2007 and wouldn't have met my husband. :)

cratylus, Amon_Amarth, Ghost and 3 others like this.