main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Hm, I've got mixed feelings, because while I agree that characters within a film should be taking potential ramifications seriously (unless it's an outright farcical comedy), I don't actually think Star Wars takes itself all that seriously (Frankly on a purely beat by beat basis if Star Wars was self-serious it'd be a rather depressing slog with a feel good ending rather than a pulpy throwback romp) and by Return of the Jedi it definitely doesn't. Large swaths of Endor in particular are played for laughs.

But let's go back to your original comment
    Now admittedly my response was very flippant, but Han shows up in the first movie as a cocky wise-ass only in it for the money, and never really stops taking joke potshots. I don't see why him wise-cracking his way through a standard adventure story should be objectionable on its face.

2. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    At the beginning of RotJ, we're laughing at a band of goofballs tripping their way through a rescue of Han Solo where the characters make self-deprecating jokes about their own incompetence and Han kills a feared villain from the previous installment by way of a Mr. Magoo pratfall. In his first movie he answers a hostile military radio with the line "everything's fine, we're all fine here now, how are you?". And his ship is always falling apart in almost slapstick fashion. His interactions with Chewie in TESB are right out of Mat & Pat.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The humour of Han originally was his sarcastic carefree personality. He wasn't a joker, he was a space pirate/cowboy who didn't give a ****
    Plus he did originally just straight up murder people in cold blood & seemed not to think twice about it.

Han is not a nice person in ANH, until the end. So it makes sense he'd be even less of a nice person in the time before ANH

If Lord & Miller wanted the Han movie to be some zany space comedy about a young guy in his beat-up ship winking at the camera & doing in-jokes, they chose the wrong character.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    And not to put too fine a point on it, but throughout the series his primary occupation was as a drug dealer. Even when his one-time significant other was the head of government.

5. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I don't think reframing the OT as comedy is the point here. It sounds like Lord and Miller were making a movie that would be decidedly different in tone to all other Star Wars movies. I guess that is a capital crime in anally retentive Hollywood, but I would welcome it.
    It would probably send the continuity buffs into a stupor but I'd only consider that a bonus.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Because not giving a **** about continuity really helped the PT.

Sarge likes this.
  7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Richie, take a deep breath... you've become the comic book guy.

Ender Sai and SuperWatto like this.
  8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

I think he is saying having some boundary breaking might be fresh and actually expand the SW universe, not bind it into a tighter and tighter continuity crushing creativity and encouraging recycling.

edit:
    At some point, Lucasfilm will have to start allowing these filmmakers to create new characters and stories or the spinoffs will get stale fast.

Hopefully the third stand alone is something new.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I thought being different and expansive was the point of the spin-offs, not being confined to the formula and style of the saga films.

Rogue One is noticeably different to the other SW movies, but it still looks & feels like a SW movie and fits in nicely as a companion between two trilogies.

Same with Rebels.

Good SW material, be it books or TV or games, needs to fit in with what defines star wars as a franchise.

If a new Star Trek series disregarded the ideals & purpose that Roddenberry laid out when he created it, is it still Star Trek?
    Slapping a name on it doesn't simply make it so.

10. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm not talking about turning Star Wars into My Dinner With Andre. I'm talking about new characters that take place in the same galaxy. Supposedly the age of the SW galaxy is roughly 30k years(if we go by Kenobi's thousand generations), yet we are endlessly mining the same 60 years over and over for the films.
    Give it to new directors and let them make different budgeted films and at different scales. Not every SW film needs to be a massively big budgeted monster.
    And giving Lord and Miller a smaller budget and perhaps allowing them to work with a new character might have allowed them the freedom to create something fresh and new.

Young Han is just…I remain very skeptical.

edit: changed A to My for Malle's film.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Your post is nice, but a fantasy.

12. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

I know. :(

I assume you are talking about the new films and characters not skepticism about the Han movie. That is not a fantasy. :p

13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Drug smuggler.

Darth_Invidious and Ramza like this.
  14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's a strictly B2B facet of the illegal drug operation thank you very much.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  15. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Does the tone even matter? It'll probably suck regardless.

16. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Nobody in this thread deserves Star Wars.

17. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I agree. That sort of punishment is only befitting culinary terrorists of the kind who would put pineapple on pizza.

Darth_Invidious and Ender Sai like this.
  18. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  19. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    want to turn everything into a Zaz amphitheater thread? Block everybody!

20. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Star Wars doesn't deserve anyone in this thread, but you know...

I say to my wife. "Our marriage is like my relationship to Star Wars. I've become old and bloated and haven't had an original thought in decades, and yet you remain a devoted fan." My wife says "I'm going out. Don't wait up."

21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Are you the man to deliver it?

harpua likes this.
  23. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Plenty of film-makers out there who could.

Edgar Wright maybe.

He recently talked about leaving Ant-Man:

"The most diplomatic answer is I wanted to make a Marvel movie but I don't think they really wanted to make an Edgar Wright movie. It was a really heartbreaking decision, to have to walk away from it after working on it for so long.
    I was the writer-director on it and then they wanted to do a draft without me, and having written all my other movies, that's a tough thing to move forward. It's like, if I do one of these movies, I would like to be the writer-director. Suddenly becoming a director for hire on it, you're sort of less emotionally invested and you start to wonder why you're there, really"

I wonder if Lord & Miller will have a similar answer one day. Although they weren't the writers in this case.

24. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I too am sad that we will never get a Han Solo movie that feels like that innovative comedic masterpiece called Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.

25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    If we have to have a "Young Han Solo" movie, it should at least be in the vein of Traffic, or perhaps New Jack City. If they want something different in tone, how about a hard look at how awful Solo actually is, and the cost the whole Galaxy pays for his chosen pursuits.