main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't dislike the PT but focusing on Anakin's angsty side was a major issue. I personally focused on the heroic fun side that we saw in the speeder chase scene and the opening of ROTS but I'm stubborn like that; I had been waiting for 16 years to like Anakin. Thankfully we got more heroic fun Anakin in TCW but we really should not have to watch a cartoon for that.

I don't care about the RLM criticism of "no clear protagonist," I was fine with having several protagonists, and I liked most of the characters.

It would have been nice if Anakin would have had better reason to think the Dark Side was a better path, as opposed to desperation.

Also, so many criticisms of the PT get chalked up to "not understanding Lucas' art" or symbolism/literary mumbo-jumbo, which is not exactly a selling point.

2. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    lol. It's okay for me. They've harassed me about this since I came here. :p

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    well you brought it up and specifically asked for criticisms so.

4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    The speeder chace scene wasn't fun... it was painful. Badly acted bickering Jedi in stacked LA.

5. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    Our of genuine curiosity, what changed your mind?

Yes, I expected it. I wanted to know, really. I'm not offended or put off in any way.

tom likes this.
  6. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I sat down with some friends to watch the whole saga in 2007. I remember telling them after TPM "the next ones are going to be good though!", but they didn't even have to say anything. I was shriveling up from embarrasment the whole time. These are not movies you want to show your friends.
    Imagine my exhilaration when we got to the OT. Suddenly it was cool.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  8. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    That does make sense.

Dammit, I can already feel myself turning. Ya'll are going to make me a prequel-hater before I know it, lol.

SuperWatto likes this.
  9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    You'll definitely have a nice echo chamber to express that opinion in. :p

Bacon164 and Anakin.Skywalker like this.
  10. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Yes, it's called the world

11. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    Alright alright rub it in...:p

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Weirdly I think this is actually the whole of the matter. Everything most folks think of as wrong with the PT is in the OT, it's just a lot harder to unearth because there's a lot more energy and competent editing. The bad dialogue and somewhat half-baked characters are there, folks, Han Solo only cares about the money. Money is what he's in it for. He expects to be paid. Money is all that he wants so it's what he'll get. We don't notice because we're too busy getting swept up in competent (at the time revolutionary) pacing and the kind of difficult to explain but clearly present youthful exuberance that's impossible to replicate. Then you get Empire where a director far more competent at handling actors gets to temper the product a bit into something more generally palatable (Hence the oft-repeated claim that it's the best of the bunch, which I've come around to agree with albeit very cynically because "this thing I, personally, enjoy is bad" is where I operate these days), and then, tellingly, you get Jedi which is maybe best described as a film that attempts to succeed in spite of itself and still fails in key ways. Is it any wonder, then, that the PT collapses under its own weight? That TFA is best loved by those searching, consciously or otherwise, for Star Wars II: But With Writing? That Rogue One plummeted out of "the discourse"? No. Star Wars has always been bad; Star Wars was worm-eaten from birth (to steal a phrase). Thus one's enjoyment of the PT is entirely contingent on understanding Lucas' art - his bad, festering art, in all its putrescent undisguised glory. The grotesque lack of ability that was always there, festering, of the body not unlike a cancer. Some other equally provocative and italicized statement.

tl;dr - NOTHING WAS EVER GOOD.

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i love you. by which i mean i hate everything but you.

14. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    You know what.

You're absolutely right.

15. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    The next stage, Ramza, is where you realize that a "good" movie is also a subjective quantity. A movie needs to do what it sets out to do. That's all. Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back surpassed that. The rest of the bunch just ticked the boxes.

This was never going to be high-brow. The OT knows it's pulp. The PT forgot.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  16. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    ....no, I think the PT knows how pulpy and weird it is.

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No, true enlightenment comes from realizing that everything you think is good is actually bad, you merely like it.

18. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    I think Star Wars is something that needed to end a long time ago. It really do think it's being overdone, especially now.

It's being overused and I think we all feel that to some degree.

cratylus likes this.
  19. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I certainly use that point-of-view toward many of my culinary & vice choices.

Ramza and SuperWatto like this.
  20. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    c
    which is why you joined this site?

21. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    When I joined, I was more into SW than I am now.

Sometimes I think the only reason I stay here is because of the people.

Not you people.

Other people.

:p

Honestly, I'm hardly an SW fan anymore...

SuperWatto likes this.
  22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It was inevitable once you began posting in this thread. When you gaze too long into the garbage ouroboros the garbage ouroboros also gazes into you.

23. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I'm a huge Star Wars nerd, and proud of it.
    I don't think it's any good, though

24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm glad we're getting more star wars and that it's popular again. even if the movies are bad the waiting in line is always a good time and the endless circular debates afterward are of course amazing.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm only a Star Wars nerd so I can use Star Wars quotes on a regular basis and to debunk the dumb idea that Star Wars is for boys.