main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Zonoma's Old Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Zonoma, Sep 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    ANOTHER WIP

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/25117361/

Another Estira concept since I am so embarrassed at the last attempt. Still a work in progress. Replies forthcoming later this evening.

KT:
    :eek:You delurked! I am flattered. Thank you.

Melissa:
    "easy, confident way she holds the Force lightning" -Thank you so very, very much. And that hair took a long time to figure out the right colors! Who knew that blonde could be so hard?

princess:
    Thank you, Padawan. Your reviews always leave a smile on my face. And the details only require a lot of patience. Probably more than its worth, actually!:p

Briman:
    I am very glad you like her. Thanks.

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, how I love the completed Lumiya piece! Awesome detailing and wonderful colors--you really got the "evil/angel" that Briman was looking for here--well, well done!

Your Estira-in-progress looks great so far! I really like the "brushstroke" effect you're getting in your work--it really looks a lot like traditional media, and I personally really like that. The shading on her face is looking great--your eye is becoming very astute in picking out the "light and dark" areas on a face! Very good! I can't wait to see this done (and had to laugh at the comment on DA about giving the character "blue eyes" to be a Dune character, lol!)!

FF

3. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Your Lumiya piece is very nice. She is so perky and beautiful looking. It is hard to believe she is Sith. But so was Anakin and he was very handsome and sexy looking before he fell in the Lava. ;)

Nice job.

You WIP is looking good also. I can't wait to see it when it is complete.

AG88

4. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    Deb,

I hadn't seen that "Dune" comment on DA until you pointed it out -at which point I had to laugh, too. SilSolo's right, though my mind kept thinking of certain X-men characters (ie Storm). I am kind of stumped on Estira honestly. I think I bit off more than I can chew this time and hope I can do something justice in that kind of close up. With MS Paint. Someday when I'm rich.... but that doesn't seem likely to happen anytime this century! LOL. Oh well. Maybe I can find another way to get an art program (sans piracy;)).

Lumiya: That red jewel on her bodice was inspired by your last comment on the incomplete piece looking somewhat medievil. That and my desperate compulsion to put SOMETHING colorful in there! I couldn't leave her all pale and luminescent. She has to chow somehow. If she were my character, that jewel has already given me serious plot bunnies, standing out as it does. Her demeanor is so simple and natural otherwise that it must have some significance, right?:p Like I said, plot bunnies. I seem to have a breeding ground inside my skull.

AG88,

Thank you for stopping by. It is always nice to recieve encouragement and props from you since I admire your cg work with poser... what I wouldn't give for that program with one of my WIPs right now! I am attempting to tweak my Serpent piece to include Jace and or Taris while it is attacking them. I think I've got the bodies right and natural but it is still up in the air.

5. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    New Art!

The First Fel Family Portrait is the first of a few pieces commissioned by Big Fatty for her story Fix You. This pictures Jaina and Jag just a few days after the birth of their daughter.

6. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, how beautifully sweeeeeet!!! :_|
    What a wonderful piece, Z!! I just love the poses--they so perfectly convey the wonder in brand-new parents as they gaze lovingly at their new child... :_| It's just so beautiful! =D==D=
    This is gorgeous, and Sara has to be doing cartwheels about now! Wonderful--and very touching--piece!

FF

7. Killik_Swarm

Killik_Swarm Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 13, 2005
    Aw? how cute, Z! And not many people hear me say that?

Great job!

KT

8. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    I guess I will do replies now rather than wait for five at a time since DA is down for the time being.

Deb,
    The picture I used for the model on this piece was one of our first family portraits. The rendering is fairly accurate, so: Allow me to introduce myself, my husband, and oldest son, age 3 days. My fave part is the baby holding his finger, though that detail is very small and easily overlooked.

KT,
    Thank you. And I imagine that they don't, though technically, I only read your post that "said" how cute!

9. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Z great job on the Fel Family Protrait! It is so awesome! I love the closeness you can see in all of their postures. Great job again!

10. jedi_master326

jedi_master326 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2005
    Great job, Z! I loved the Fel portrait especially!

*wishes he could draw like Mommy*

11. ladylaurel18

ladylaurel18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2005
    Oh my, Z. You are going to reduce me to a big gooey pile of mush.

The colors are wonderful vibrant, the highlighting well done. I didn't notice the fingers at first, but I did notice the wedding rings.

Did you blur the edges of some of this? I'm seeing an effect in there that I can't remember ever having in Paint.

Of course, I couldn't draw in paint to save my life.

12. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Beautiful painting of the Fel Family.

Oh man, I hope Jaina gets back with Jag. This Zekk, hive mind, forearm rubbing situation going on in the Dark Nest books is just freaking me out. :p

Great job!

AG88

13. princess_melissa

princess_melissa Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    OMW Z I love it!

I love the expressions on their faces. You really captured the joy of two parents gazing on at their child.

I also like that the baby is looking our way. It's like she's the only one who realizes that we're looking on at the little family scene. Or maybe I"m way off and you were just having trouble drawing her face a different angle so made her looking streight at us. Either way, I like it.

Yet another great pic!

14. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    Wyn,
    I knew that you would like this one!:p You should try the story, too!

Dan,
    *waves hand* You will learn to draw like Commander Mommy!

LL18,
    First of all thank you. I am esp proud of her ring since it was reference free (I was too swollen in the model pic to fit into mine). And the blurring actually happened when you save it into JPEG instead of a bitmap.

AG88,
    Thank you! And while I am rooting for Jaina and Jag on some level I am thrilled that they finally remembered Zekk is alive! It's about kriffing time, you know? I missed him. Now they need to fix him. :mad:

princess,
    Actually, I did not struggle too much with her face... though I was very afraid that I would! But I like that part, too. Thank you.

15. IrishEyedJedi

IrishEyedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2005

You captured the moment beautifully Z. I have no doubt mothers and father, husbands and wives have shared in these types of moments time and time again.

16. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Awwwwwww!

Z, that is adorable! :)

17. princess_melissa

princess_melissa Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I wasn't saying you had trouble I was just saying that perhaps instead of planning it the way it is you just had trouble drawing it another way, and decided to do it that way (that's the way some of my poses work) anyway, never mind I was just rambeling.

18. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    :pI knew that. (sure I did!) I was just sharing.

19. Eirate_rules

Eirate_rules Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2005
    I don't know why, but the Jaina pic reminds me of a piece of art I despretly long for someone to draw. Mara or Jaina in a dress and high heels, kicking ass.

20. Gloria

Gloria Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Omg, Fel'ies. [face_love] In MS Paint? WOW! How do you do it, I try and fiddle with pain and it looks like a second grader's attempt. :p

Great job. =D= Can we expect more of our lovely Jagged and co..? [face_whistling] :p

[:D]

21. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Oh, I have nothing against Zekk, although I do favor Jag (I just love a man in uniform :p).

But the way Zekk and Jaina are portrayed in the new books is just too weird. I have hopes of a happy solution, though. Afterall, she is the Sword of the Jedi, not the bug of the Jedi. ;)

AG88

22. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I do have to say that is an amazing piece, especially using MS Paint! It's just lovely and very sweet :)

23. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    NEW ARTWORK!

Meari, Anime Attempt, WIP

HELP!

I know that I need to do replies but this is really bugging me. Darth Mikus' fun artwork has inspired me to try something similiar. I'm not quite sure what this style is called but I just don't seem to have an eye for it. Does anyone else? Can you guys help out a bit?

Help me, Darth Mikusobi! You're my only hope.

24. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey Z--saw the "cry for help" and had to stick my nose in! :p

I can definitely see the anime influence, in her eyes in particular--just a couple of things:

Meari's expression: Angry? Questioning (as in one brow up, the other down)? Confused? Determined? I can see a slight squint in her left eye, so I'm guessing either Questioning or Determined. The slight lift to the left side of her mouth points to that as well. To solidify the mood/expression, you might emphasize those things that "make it"--anime often exaggerates facial expressions.

Features: Anime usually emphasizes the eyes, making them larger in the face than in a proportional drawing. You might try enlarging her eyes some more (which also automatically increases their impact).

Lighting: To be more anime, I think it needs to be more harsh on her face/features, more like you've done on the scarf/do-rag she's wearing. Sharper shadows for her nose, eyes, and below her chin (think directional light), and not so subtle (which you are so skilled at, and which I love!).

Do not go by my suggestions alone here--I'm a big fan of anime, but can't draw it for anything, so I'm going by my own recollections/impressions of the style. Gather what you need from other artists more skilled in the genre, hit the 'net and check out some anime sites that might provide some guidance, and save-save-save all copies of your work, so you'll always have this one!

cannot wait for this part of CotF!!!

FF

25. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    IEJ,
    Thank you, Leah, it is good to know that this one "speaks" like I had hoped.

Idrelle,
    Thank you! I think so, too, but I may be biased.

Eirate,
    I love the pose she is in, but the face leaves something to be desired. I will do better next time, though!

Gloria,
    There have been a few other Jag pieces commissioned that are in the works. And it takes A LOT OF PATIENCE on Paint, I often have to just put it down and walk away.

AG88,
    Oh, how I laughed at the "not Bug of the Jedi"!

PLJ,
    Thank you very much! I hope you visit again soon.

Deb,
    The eyes are fine for what I'm going for I think... it is not precisely anime but rather has a more western comic feel with anime influence. I really don't know what to call it but Darth Mikus' site on DA is full of the stuff (in his scraps :eek::mad: wish I could "scrap" that good work).

Probably half of my problem is that I am torn between scared and determined for the expression! She is fearful of the future and determined to live in the moment. Determined to be ready for when the mantle passed on to her. I want her almost smirking in defiance of it all. Ready. "Let's do this thing."

Again, I agree with the lighting. I just have no clue where it needs to change![face_frustrated] It is most frustrating!

And I can't wait for this part of the story, either, I am quite pleased with the plot I have come up with!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.