main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Zonoma's Old Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Zonoma, Sep 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    I am not sure how you cheated exactly, but that is a beautiful painting. She looks like somebody I have seen before. Did you base her on that girl from Serenity?

Great job!

AG88

2. Courtney_Solo

Courtney_Solo Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Awesome stuff, Z! =D=

C @};- S

3. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Look how cute you are, were, is... you know what I mean.

I'm going to print it out and show people that not only do I have a friend, and that she's talented, but she's got a face to go with her name.

4. Nefarious_21

Nefarious_21 Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2006
    Little sith is adorable, great attention to detail!
    And the self portrait looks good- I'm sure seven years hasn't made any difference in who you are in tha picture- everyone loves a kidder.lol
    Cool stuff Z!

-NeF

5. Excalibur14

Excalibur14 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2006
    Zonoma

Awesome work my friend! I love your style of illustrator/vector work in the Jaina Solo as well as your SithSon. Beautiful stuff!

Excalibur14

6. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    Wow... Zonoma, wow!!

I have never peeked in this thread before, but wow! I went through all the pages. You are getting sooooo good! I can paint animals and scenery alright, but people is another matter... drawing is my thing :)
    That last picture of jaina for chapter 5 is... she looks miserable and sad, you definately got what you were trying to get there! And OMG she that picture looks like a photo of a person taken in photoshop and just messed with... i mean it looks so shockingly like it couldn't really have been painted!!!

Wow I can't wait to see more work!
    Take care and God bless!
    ~N

7. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    Oh my! I don't check the thread for a while and "BAM!" I have new faces! My apologies for not coming sooner. As I don't have a lot of time, I will simply post the new sketch and do replies later, though, okay?

This is one I am diligently working on, but feel I am beginning to rush and need a break from. Thus the posting! I can still think about it, but the pencil isn't on the paper.

This is the first work that is honest to goodness artwork that I have done for a very long while. Nice to know that I haven't completely lost my touch, you know? I am already seeing things I am dissatisfied with but everything is a learning experience. This is graphite and bristol board, using much of FF's methods that she was kind enough to share with me.

The gentleman is not someone I actually knew, but a gift I am doing for his widow. I can't help but thinking that he looks an awful lot like I always pictured Cal Omas, though. Aiya, I have Star Wars on the brain, I'm afraid. Imagine that.
    :D

[image=http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/Mustafear/PICT0242.jpg]

Oh yeah, this is just a pic, obviously, because I have no access to a scanner, currently. Oh well.

8. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Wow! :eek: He looks great! And it's so nice of you to draw him for his widow!

Can't wait to see the finished drawing.

9. Basement24

Basement24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2005
    Wonderful piece, even in a non-finished state! I really look forward to the final one!

10. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Already mentioned how much I like this in the PM, but I'll say it again: this is just a wonderful beginning on what will surely become a superb portrait--and I simply cannot imagine how grateful this gentleman's widow will be to have such a beautiful portrait of her late husband! What a wonderful gift to her, Z--such a generous thing to do with your skills! =D=

I, too, will be waiting with anticipation to see this one finished--it looks just wonderful so far! And actually--I think this fellow looks a bit too forthright, honest and gentle to be a politician--for Omas, I think we need someone a bit more "used-car-salesman"-looking: just a little shifty, with most of it in his eyes (*admits to detesting most career politicians*). Think Kenneth Lay (of the late Enron...). ;)

FF

11. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    Author Replies ? long over due!

Your_Worshipfulness ~ Thank you for the kind reply! I have always loved your work and get torn between despair of EVER being that good and inspiration! As for the clown nose, I guess that sometimes we are all a contradiction in terms, and I definitely have a tendency to take myself too seriously at the worst possible times and end up acting the fool. An ?anniversary? portrait? Perhaps next March, that will require courage of a different sort because I have changed much. I suddenly find myself grinning in anticipation. Thank you.

Chilla ~ You are always so faithful, constantly peeking in here. Thank you. I will have to put up some new Jaina stuff just for you, okay?

Darth_Snuggle ~ Thank you! I learned a lot doing that scan. Especially about color, which has always been a weakness for me.

AG88 ~ I scanned it in and then used MS Paint to block in color over it. Taught be a great deal about what really IS there vs what I THINK is there. It is Eliza Dushku from Tru Calling, I don?t know if she is in Serenity because I still haven?t seen it, shame on me!

Courtney_Solo ~ Thank you!

Lola!!!!!!!!!!! ~ *tackles* You know? I think I owe you a seriously long time no see PM! I missed ya, girl. And? LOL. Feel free to print it out, then! It doesn?t look precisely like me anymore, though.

Nefarious_21 ~ Hello and welcome! I am sorry that I missed this for so long ? and then, yes ? put off replying for a few days longer. I?m glad you enjoyed the portraits of myself and my son and hope to see you around some more.

Excalibur14 ~ Hello and welcome, Excalibur!!! Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Nidrail ~ Thank you for your kind comments, esp on Jaina: Lost! I?m afraid that it WAS a photo, though, that has been painted over with MS Paint ? it was essentially a learning exercise that I put to good use. This last one (on page 9) is more my speed, I?m afraid.

Basement24 ~ Wow! How did I get lucky enough to have sooo many new faces in here???? Thank you for taking the time to tell me you enjoy this thread.

FalconFan ~ Last but certainly not least.

On the self portrait (?Foolish?), thank you for telling me that I could make you laugh with that. It made my day (several of them, actually!). I think I speak for a whole lot of people when I say that this place would NOT be the same with you. Thank you for all that you do. I will save my response to your last two posts in here for when my head is a little clearer, k?

Thank you, Everyone!

Humbly,
    Zonoma

12. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    ART UPDATE!!!!!!

May 30th, 2006
    May I take some time to share something a little more serious tonight?

Today, I did something incredible. What, Z? What was so extraordinary?

I drew a picture. Now, I realize that this may not seem like much, but for me, it was a huge mental and physical victory. Starting that portrait was the bravest thing I have done for years, I think.

Let me tell you why:

Many of you know that I was diagnosed with a brain tumor on June 1st? of 2003. The necessary 14 hour surgery later that same month resulted in scar tissue on my brain and seizures which are ? now ? thankfully controlled easily with medication. However, the first few days in ICU and recovery, the seizures were terribly violent and left me paralyzed on my right side for hours and hours at a time. I only regained some shadow of movement just before the next seizure struck.

Lakes of fire aside, the doubt and knowledge I faced lying there were Hell. One of my concerns, which seems petty when you remember that my children would need a mother, was that I would never be able to draw again. Strange how ?tragedy? can force us to face wasted minutes, isn?t it? I had a talent that I had largely ignored.

I did, of course, eventually make a full recovery (as well as can be expected anyway) - that is to say that if you met me on the street, you would never know I had a tumor - but I never quite regained the fine motor control of my hands. I allowed fear to dictate my life in ways that I never tolerated before. I began, eventually, to draw but allowed myself to trace the ?outlines? and fill in free hand. I thought I had lost my touch.

Then the oddest thing happened. I, quite out of character, offered to draw a portrait for a widow that I didn?t even know. I promised it, in fact. When she sent me the picture to use, I found that I couldn?t trace it. I panicked?. Then I put off drawing it until just this week.

This week I made myself a promise to stop allowing fear to lead my life and to start living it the way I used to. One of the first things I did was start changing the ?rules? in my marriage. That was terrifying! You know what, though? Even husband is happier, and the kids, too. I certainly am. THIS is me, not HER. The next thing I did was dig that picture out and begin to draw.

This is the first portrait I have done in YEARS without some sort of cheat, help, tracing outlines, whatever. I nearly wept after the first evening of working on it when I realized that I COULD do this still. Not only could I do it, but I could excel.

I was afraid, I faced my fear, and that makes me brave.

I do have to make concessions, of course, and must take frequent breaks because my fingers begin to tremble but SO WHAT? And yes, there are things that are obvious and glaring mistakes in this one but I am very satisfied with it and plan on continuing the learning process with many, many more in the future.

So, now that I?ve told my story, here is the finished picture all ready to be framed and gift wrapped for Mrs. Heaton:

[image=http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/Mustafear/PICT0250.jpg]

13. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh lord! :_|=D=:_|[:D]

I had to wait for the tears to stop before typing this, Z! What a stunning, inspirational and moving account of the evolution of this gorgeous portrait! I actually had no idea, my dear, that you had been through all that, and I bow to your perseverence and courage...what a wonderful glimpse into YOU! Thank you for sharing (and baring) yourself--it only increases my regard and respect for you! [:D]

Now--this awesome portrait... I'll say, you haven't lost your touch!! This is just beautiful!! The detailing of the skin textures, the creases and wrinkles, the texturing of the clothing (the tie really got me: it looks real enough to touch...) and that wonderful warmth in his expression are all just gorgeous. The eyes are amazing... =D=

I can't even imagine what Mrs. Heaton is going to say--she's probably going to just break down and cry like me! What a beautiful, beautiful portrait--and I'd say you can most certainly dispense with further tracing and the like: your talent is more than intact--it's positively bursting out of you now, and I cannot wait for your next piece! Congratulations on this triumph, Zonoma--Brava, I say! =D==D=[:D]

FF

14. DarthMikus

DarthMikus Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2005
    Wow,
    I'm glad I came back to see this.
    Ive never been one to pry, and i remember certain vague mentions of seizures, but I never wanted to pry and start to ask uncomfortable questions.
    Knowing NOW...wow.
    I love the work..
    I can relate many ways to your story, but I'm glad you're still around and I'm ten times as glad that you're still working and still cracking out great pieces of art.

also, thanks for always keeping my nose from getting too dirty when writing.

15. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    That's a brilliant portrait. No wonder you are so pleased.

I can't imagine not being able to draw, I think it's something a lot of us here take for granted. It is so great that you didn't let your fear of faliure prevent you from creating a picture - I think that is something that lots of artists struggle with, and one of the biggest problems to overcome.

I am happy that you have rediscovered your gift, and wish you success in your future artwork.

16. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Oh yeah, excellent portrait, Zonoma! You should be proud. :)

17. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    *grins*

Like I said over at the Cloister, great job, and it's really cool that you began to draw again. :D

KT

18. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    Deb ~ I thought you knew most of that! [face_blush] I forget who knows and who doesn't honestly. It's something I try to be very open about because you never know who is struggling with what. I might be able to help someone else, you know?

This was the very first time I tried working with wrinkles - I've always let them intimidate me before. I love the way they turned out, too. The worst part was just getting started! As they say: Well begun is half done!

I have forsaken tracing for this year, unless I need a 'lesson' in proportions that I consistently get wrong (ie: I always do my eyes too far apart. What is that about?) so you may notice a decline in some aspects of my work. Time will tell and eventually going without crutches will teach me more than with.

Mike ~ Keeping your nose clean when writing??? I hardly do anything! LOL. I truly enjoy helping out with the questions you come up for me, rare as they are. Keeps me on my toes.

You can relate to some of it? We'll have to swap war stories some time. Thank you for coming by and reading my story, it means a lot.

soits ~ Whoa. You stopped by my thread! I'm a great fan of your work, thank you for peaking at mine.

ShrunkenJedi ~ Thank you! I am![face_smile]

KT ~ Thank you, Nate. I think so, too.

~*~*~

And now for something completely different:

NEW WIP:

Ignifer Apollonis, WIP 1
    Ignifer Apollonis, WIP 2 Oops! She needs yellow eyes, not blue!

She's an original character from a Harry Potter fanfic I've been following on fanfiction.net. TOS (I think) prohibits posting the outside link, but look it up under the author's pen name lightning on the wave. It's an incredible series of full blown novels. I've never seen anything like it. Beware, though, it won't let you go. It's that good.

19. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Now that I've seen both, I definitely like the blue eyes better. But it's still the lack of a nose and mouth that is freaking me out, not the sithly eye color.

20. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    Sara ~ [face_laugh] Well, then, here's some amateur lips! More tomorrow, for now I have to walk away or scream.

Ignifer Apollonis WIP 3

21. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Umm... I meant yellow eyes in my previous post. That's why I shouldn't post late at night. [face_blush] And those are quite the lucious red lips. :*

22. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Ooooo--dangerous-looking lady, Z! I love the flame-red hair--an excellent color--and the "Sithly eyes," as Sara calls them, are definitely unsettling! As this is a WIP, crits will wait, but I really like how this is coming together so far: the face looks lovely, with beautiful features and placement, and a wonderful, sort of superior expression. It's great, isn't it, to do female villains? To put the face of evil on someone beautiful is a great exercise in contrasts and dichotomies! This looks wonderful, and I'm looking forward very much to seeing more (and I still can't believe you're doing all this with a mouse!!! You simply must get a tablet--for birthday, Christmas, something! It would make things so much easier!)! Had to laugh a little at the "crutches" comment: I'm afraid I still use tons of them, all the time! lol! Wink-wink-nudge-nudge-know-what-I-mean? :D [face_laugh]

FF

23. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    Deb ~ [face_plain] I have just one thing to say to you:

YOU ARE A MONTY PYTHON FAN?!!:eek:[face_laugh] I knew I liked you.[face_mischief]

And... I know that I haven't finished the Apollonis picture yet, but there you have it.

Here is one that I almost didn't post just because it isn't what I wanted. I kind of like it, though.

Oh well, I'm a sucker for feedback, so here goes:

Ben Skywalker concept sketch with chalks

::shrugs:: I never play with chalks and this way fun. That's the important thing, I guess.

24. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, I like you very, very much, Ben! ;) :D

This is wonderful, Z!! And I can't believe you got so much depth out of only four colors here! =D= I love this piece: he's got that wonderful cocky teenager attitude going, and the pose is great--sort of a flourishing gesture! The little sideways smirk, however, is all Uncle Han! [face_laugh] "...Pirates..." [face_laugh]
    Great work--and I very much like your take on young Skywalker!

FF

And yeah...I'll admit to Python addiction... "And now, for something completely different..."

:D ;)

25. TelannaTani

TelannaTani Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Hope you don?t mind I followed you here?

I love all of your art, Z! While your fantastic pic of the HP lady intrigues me, I?m not allowing myself a peak over there! I?d be addicted, I know! Maybe later in the fall?

And I really do love Ben. He?s got the greatest look on his face, and his hair is so Luke Skywalker meets Mara Jade ? very fitting. I love the chalks and the texture and character it give him. I have to say, though, his stance and such reminds me of the kid from The Sword in the Stone!

You?re so talented! Looks absolutely fantastic!

Voz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.