Beyond Zoom In (Rent crossover, J/J/K Z/A/A R/L J/TK) UPDATE 1-31! Finale B!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Lusa_Thul, Dec 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Lusa_Thul Force Ghost

star 4
    OH SNAP, LOOK AT THAT! IT'S DECEMBER 24TH, AND I WAS GOING TO WAIT UNTIL 9 PM EASTERN STANDARD TIME TO POST THIS BUT I HAVE TO GO TO CHURCH! I amuse myself sometimes! Ok, really important quick notes, please read!

Really really important notes, please please please read!: Ok, Before I even do backgroud, I just want to say, especially to all the Rentheads out there, I have the upmost respect for this show. It's my absolute favorite, and I was terrified to write this because it is so powerful and has such a hardcore fanbase. I'll say right now; I cannot capture everything that Rent is in this fic, and I won't try to, but I have done my best! So enjoy! Hopefully people who have only seen the movie and not the show will be inspired to go get the original recording now because, that's right, I used all the Tune Ups and Voice Mails, as well as most of Mark's narritive bits. Anyone who has not seen the show: go see it!

A note about the Star Wars AIDS equivilent: I read through all the disease entries in the Encyclopedia, and let me tell you, THEY ARE ALL VERY BORING. I melted my brains out for you, and eventially chose Knowt?s disease because it was vague enough I could just say its the same as AIDS. One problem: it has the stupidest name I've ever heard. So I shortened it to KD, and avoided menchining it whenever possible.

A note about the guitar: I would have felt stupid using an earth instrument, so you know what I did? That's right, I also read through all the instrument entries in the Encyclopedia, and THEY WERE JUST AS BORING! But I settled on the bass mando because it had a cool name.

Disclaimer: Rent and all songs/dialogue taken from it are copyright Jonathan Larson!

Ok, dudes, I'm been writing this almost nonstop for the past month, so hopefully it flys! Here we go!

Part 1 ? Tune Up #1

December 24th, Nine PM
    Eastern Standard Time
    From here on in
    I shoot without a script

Tune Up #1
    , from Rent

?We begin on the day before Midwinter Festival with me, Kyp, and my roommate, Zekk. We live in an industrial loft in the lower levels of Coruscant. Old posters hang on the walls. They have Zekk?s picture advertising gigs. We have an illegal wood burning stove; its exhaust pipe crawls up to a skylight. Outside, a small tent city has sprung up in the lot next to our building. Inside, we are freezing because we have no heat. Smile!?

The small, handheld holorecorder finished its sweep of the dim room, moving from the dirty walls and mismatched pieces of battered furniture, coming to rest on the dark figure perched on the edge of the worn, metal table. A pair of green eyes looked up from fingers that still shook slightly as they tuned the old bass mando long enough to glare at the camera before turning away.

?Oh, come on!? Kyp sighed in annoyance, not lowering the recorder. ?Can you at least pretend to be interested? Or, say, alive??

?Funny.? Zekk replied dryly, the ghost of a smile flitting across his face. ?Very funny.?

?I didn?t mean it like that, and you know it.? Kyp said softly, realizing the last part of his comment might not have been the most tactful. ?I just meant some sort of emotional reaction from you would be a very welcome change. I?ve already got endless hours worth of footage of you being grim and depressed.?

His companion glanced around the cold, dark loft, and raised an eyebrow questioningly. ?You?d get some pretty stupid looking film if I tried to be cheerful in this place.? He commented, a sour note vibrating through the air as he returned his attention to the task of tuning the instrument in his lap.

Kyp winced at the sound, pulling a pained expression as he said, ?Please tell me you?re trying to tune that, not play it.?

?Don?t worry, I?m not that tone deaf.? Zekk replied, sounding almost amused, an improvement over his usual gloomy mood. ?Tuning, not playing.?

?Well, for
  2. mavjade It's so Fluffy Fanfic & New Movies Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Great Start!

I have never seen Rent (although I really want to, and have for years), but I have heard the original Broadway cast recording, and I love the music! I also got the whole synopsis from my best friend who has seen it on broadway!(I haven't seen the movie yet either[face_blush])

OH SNAP, LOOK AT THAT! IT'S DECEMBER 24TH, AND I WAS GOING TO WAIT UNTIL 9 PM EASTERN STANDART TIME TO POST THIS BUT I HAVE TO GO TO CHURCH!

[face_laugh] That would have been great, although it would have shown up board time which would have been 6pm.

I can't wait for more!
  3. goddess45 Jedi Master

star 4
    o i like it!!! more more!!
  4. Vongchild Force Ghost

star 5
    FIRST POST. EDIT: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! [/vader]

I *almost* forgot you were posting today - is it *really* christmas eve?

Well, I laughed my way through your notes (Broken links, btw) and then read the chappy which was FANTASTIC. Kyp and Zekk bounce off eachother so well! And you're welcome for the suggestion. :) You had some great dialogue in there, too, but I won't hilight any because I'd have to copy and paste the whole chapter.

Keep up this quality and I shall be a Zekk/Alema 'shipper in no time. But no way am I giving up J/NY!

I'm still trying to figure out how to make *my* voicemail say "Speak," though...
  5. Lusa_Thul Force Ghost

star 4
    mavjade

Why thanks! Yeah, I had the soundtrack before I saw the show, too! The movie really rocks, if you have a chance go see it! :) And, yes, I was very excited about the time of posting! :p

goddess45

Why thank you! More soon, promise!

VC

Yup, really is Christmas Eve, although it doesn't feel like it!

Hehe, glad you liked the notes: they were all true stories! Thanks for the heads up about the lonks, got that fixed! Thanks you so much for suggesting Kyp! This fic would suck with out him, I'll tell you right now! I've had an amazing time writing him! :)
  6. Vongchild Force Ghost

star 5
  7. Vongchild Force Ghost

star 5
    Why is this on page two?
  8. SoloFel_RebelGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hey, i like it! If you have a PM list, please put me on it!
  9. SilSolo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Me too, since I'm horrible at keeping up.
  10. Deneveon Force Ghost

star 4
    Very, very intriguing! I consider myself an almost-Renthead (it's not quite my favorite musical, but still)...I own the Original Broadway Cast recording but I haven't gotten around to seeing the film.

Hmm...Kyp as Mark, huh? I'm guessing Jaina's the drama queen and Jag's the uptight lesbian production manager ( :p ). Sorry, is my K/Jness shining though? ;) Anyway, this should be very, very interesting.

More soon?
  11. Lusa_Thul Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, IF ANYONE ELSE WANTS A PM WHEN THIS GETS UPDATED, LET ME KNOW! :)

VC

Thanks for the up and the grammer note, Joiner Sib! :)

SoloFel_RebelGirl

Sure thing! :)

SilSolo

You got it, dude!

Deneveon

Glad to have ya! Go see the film if you can, because they did a pretty good job with it! And, yeah, the Original Cast Recording is totally the way to go! It rocks so hard! :)

Hmm...Kyp as Mark, huh? I'm guessing Jaina's the drama queen and Jag's the uptight lesbian production manager ( :p ). Sorry, is my K/Jness shining though? :) Anyway, this should be very, very interesting.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] Haha, dude, that comment about Jag totally made my day! Yeah, you got that relationship pinned down, and the others will be reavealed shortly! :) I've had way more fun writing Kyp and Jag than should be legal, especially Kyp! And this is comming from the J/Z'er who once swore never to write anything else! :p But, yeah, Kyp has been my favorite part of this whole thing, as you will soon see!

Update tommorow, in theory! :) Party!
  12. Lusa_Thul Force Ghost

star 4
    K, so, you know what I just realised? Swarm Wars comes out tommorow. Now, I knew that, but I just realised I'm not getting on the computer tommorow, I'm reading it! :p So I figured I better update today! Also, I'm gonna be kinda irratic in my internet time throught the next week, so bare with me! Lots to do, lots to do! :)

Part 2 -Voice Mail #1

We wanted to call and say we love you
    And we'll miss you tomorrow

Voice Mail #1
    , from Rent

The comm clicked on with a hum, the answering machine recording the voice that emerged. No image accompanied the speech; the projector had broken some time ago, and they hadn?t gotten around to calling Jaina over to fix it yet.

?Hello, you guys.? The warm, polite voice of Leia Organa Solo emerged from the speakers. ?I just wanted to call and make sure the two of you were alright; just because Jaina moved out doesn?t mean I?m going to stop worrying about you.? Not that they had really expected her to. Both Zekk and Kyp were orphans, and the Solos seemed to have informally adopted them because of their closeness with their children.

?Anyways, Han and I wanted to wish you a happy Midwinter Festival. Chewie says hello, too, of course.? She added in amusement, responding to the faint sound of a wookie roar in the background. More seriously, she added, ?Oh, Kyp, we were sorry to hear that Jaina dumped you. But don?t think that you?re not still part of the family, alright? Call us if you ever want to talk.? She informed him, before finishing with, ?And that applies to both of you, got it, Zekk? Have a nice holiday, you two!? The comm clicked off as the message ended.

The silence that followed was broken by Zekk?s suppressed chuckles. Kyp glared at him. ?Shut up.?

?Her parents just told you they feel bad for you!? He replied, doing nothing to hide his mirth. ?She left you for an Imperial. It really doesn?t get much more pathetic than that, does it??

?Hey, what happened to you not being cheerful? Five seconds ago you wouldn?t have smiled for a million credits, and now you won?t knock it off!? Kyp demanded, throwing his hands up in despair.

?Ok, so I only laugh at you?re misfortune, how?s that?? He asked, brushing a strand of dark hair out of his face. Kyp pretended not to notice that Zekk?s fingers where shaking slightly. The younger man had gotten over the worst of his andris withdrawal some time ago, but its affects were lingering.

?Some sympathy might be a nice change.? He gritted out, taking a seat on a battered chair as he did.

?This is coming from the guy she left me for?? Zekk asked, raising an eyebrow. ?Allow me to gloat a bit.?

?We should start a club or something.? Kyp replied with a snort. ?Requirements; dark hair, green eyes, and dumped by Jaina Solo.?

Zekk was about to reply, when the comm hummed back to life. The answering machine clicked back on. ?Speak.?
  13. Vongchild Force Ghost

star 5
    I know it's supposed to be serious, but you're cracking me up.

?We should start a club or something.? Kyp replied with a snort. ?Requirements; dark hair, green eyes, and dumped by Jaina Solo.?

She doesn't know how good she's got it!

And I love SPEEEAAKK....
  14. SoloFel_RebelGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 5

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Man i wish i had thought of that line!
  15. SilSolo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  16. Lusa_Thul Force Ghost

star 4
    Look at me, I lied and got online today!

VC

Hehe, thanks! Don't worry, its got its funny moments!

SoloFel_RebelGirl

Hehe, thanks! :p Its so ture! Makes you wonder sometimes! :p

SilSolo

I know, I just call everyone Dude. Its kinda weird, I know, but whatever. :p Drives me female friends crazy, but its just automatic now! :p
  17. Handmaiden_Rabe Force Ghost

star 5
    *is sure to be Renthead once this is finished* I'm a tad bit lost, since I have yet to talk the 'rents (:p) into letting me go see this, but I love it so far. Moremoremore!
  18. Lusa_Thul Force Ghost

star 4
    Ok, I was gonna do this tommorow, because posting every-other-day makes me feel so predictible, but VC and RAbe are harassing my on AIM, so you get it early!

On an important side note, DON'T FLIP WHEN YOU SEE WHO I'VE CAST AS BENNY! I've really changed his character around a [/i]lot[/i]! Like it will blow your mind by the time this is done! He's really different! You're not gonna get too much explination right now, but wait around until Voice Mail #2, and you'll get a lot of information about what I'm doing with him! :)

Part 3 - Tune Up #2

Rent, my amigos, is due
    Or I will have to evict you
    Be there in a few

Tune Up #2
    , from Rent

The voice that emerged from the comm unit this time was much more casual than the previous caller. ?Hey, it?s me. Don?t pretend you?re not home, I?m not fooled.?

The response of the listeners was also different. Both sprang across the room, Zekk reaching the unit first and switching it on, as he said, ?Hey, Raynar.?

?Did Zekk just pick up the comm?? Their friend demanded, sounding stunned.

?Amazingly, he did.? Kyp replied dryly. ?Quite a miracle, I know.?

?I?ll alert the presses.? Raynar agreed in mock earnestness. Zekk glared from his roommate to the projector and back again, as the voice continued. ?But I?ll do it from inside, thank you very much. It?s freezing out here!?

?Hang on, I?ll throw down the key.? Kyp told him, standing and grabbing it before making his way to the window and balcony beyond. He waved cheerfully to the blond figure standing at the comm station below then tossed the key down to Raynar, who caught it and threw him a salute. Shivering, he climbed back inside, not bothering to watch his friend enter the building. He missed it, therefore, when a handful of dark figures emerged from a nearby alleyway. Shouts and a scuffle broke out, and the next moment Raynar was darting down the alley, cursing steadily, the thugs close on his heels.

Reentering the drafty loft, Kyp was just in time to hear the comm buzz once more. ?We certainly are popular tonight.? He commented as Zekk switched it back on.

?Hi, guys, its Jacen.? The cheerful voice of Jaina?s twin brother greeted. The two exchanged a glance, as he continued, ?Umm, this is kind of awkward?? Kyp could just picture Jacen rubbing a hand through his unruly brown curls sheepishly as he spoke. ?But I?ve got to collect the rent.?

?What rent?? Kyp demanded angrily. ?Last I checked, you said you were covering us, remember??

?I know, I know!? Jacen replied. ?But now that Jaina moved out I?ve got even less of an excuse than I did before. It was easy to keep Tenel Ka?s grandmother off my back when I was living there with you and Jaina, Kyp! Even when I moved out, I still had the excuse of paying for my sister. But now that she?s cleared out, Ta?a Chume is getting worse. She?s got some crazy scheme about evicting everyone and using the building for something else if people don?t start paying up.?

?Hey, your fault for marrying a rich princess, not ours.? Kyp shot back angrily. ?This isn?t about your family problems, Jacen, it?s about you going back on your word. I mean, your own sister is protesting against you later tonight!?

?Yeah, I heard. But she?s insane, we all know that. Look, I don?t have much of a choice in this, ok?? Jacen replied, sounding exasperated. ?At least I?m giving you a warning. I?ll be by soon.? The comm clicked into silence.

It was followed a moment later by the power, which flickered and died, extinguishing what little light was left in the room. ?Perfect.? Kyp growled.
  19. Handmaiden_Rabe Force Ghost

star 5
    Yay for harassing over AIM! :p

They sure do have a lot of problems, don't they? And since when were Kyp and Zekk so popular? No more voice mail tonight, I'm guessing, what with the power out and all. :p
  20. Vongchild Force Ghost

star 5
    ?Hey, your fault for marrying a rich princess, not ours.? Kyp shot back angrily. ?This isn?t about your family problems, Jacen, it?s about you going back on your word. I mean, your own sister is protesting against you later tonight!?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] BEST LINE EVER!!!!! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Lusa, you rock my socks!

[face_laugh]

21. SilSolo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  22. SoloFel_RebelGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    ?Yeah, I heard. But she?s insane, we all know that."

[face_laugh]
  23. Deneveon Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

JACEN IS BENNY!!!!!!!!! ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG, I think you just made my day. The excessive exclamation points show it. :p This is bloody hilarious. And Leia leaving a message for Zekk and Kyp? I was half expecting her to say something to the effect of "Sorry she left you for an icy dolt, there are other Mon Calamari in the sea." ;) :p

Sorry. I'm having too much fun with this. This is bloody brilliant. Please, please go on. I'm hooked. :D
  24. mavjade It's so Fluffy Fanfic & New Movies Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Sorry I missed Part 2, I was out of town and had no internet access!
    I really liked it!

?This is coming from the guy she left me for?? Zekk asked, raising an eyebrow.

Ouch!

[face_laugh] I love it!

On to part 3:
    Great Update!

?Yeah, I heard. But she?s insane, we all know that.
    [face_laugh] Love this also!

IF ANYONE ELSE WANTS A PM WHEN THIS GETS UPDATED, LET ME KNOW!

I would love a PM when you update! Thanks!

I can't wait for more!

25. Zonoma Jedi Master

star 4
    This is hilarious, Lusa!
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.