main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Zoom In (Rent crossover, J/J/K Z/A/A R/L J/TK) UPDATE 1-31! Finale B!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Lusa_Thul, Dec 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkwriter

Darkwriter Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2006
    Ohhhhhhhh...so sad.

Really great post!

Janet

2. Lusa_Thul

Lusa_Thul Jedi Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    Alright, guys, update on tuesday, ecause coordinating post with holidays makes me hppy! (See the verh first post of this entire thing! :p )

Janet

*Passes tissues* Thanks!

3. Lusa_Thul

Sep 9, 2004
    It's Halloween, and I'm possting 'Halloween'! I'm so clever! :p

Part 36 - Halloween

Why did Mimi knock on Roger's door
    And Collins choose that phone booth
    Back where Angel set up his drums
    Why did Maureen's equipment break down
    Why am I the witness
    And when I capture it on film
    Will it mean that it's the end
    And I'm alone?

Halloween
    , from Rent

Glancing at his chrono as the service ended, Kyp suppressed a curse, realizing he was late for his meeting with Wolam Tser. While the others lingered before the coffin a moment longer, he stepped outside, switching on his commlink and setting it to the frequency he had been given.

A cheerful sounding receptionist answered it. ?Hello??

?Hi, it's Kyp Durron.? He answered. ?Is Wolam there??

?I?m afraid he?s in a meeting at the moment.? She replied. ?Can I take a message??

?Just tell him I'm running a little late for our appointment. I'm still coming, and I signed the contract. But I?m at,? he paused, swallowed past the lump in his throat, then continued, ?I?m at my friend?s funeral, so it may be a while before I can be there.?

?I?ll let him know. Thank you for calling.? The bland, unaffected tone of her voice disgusted him, and he switched the commlink off with a sharp click.

He hated that the galaxy could just go on while his whole world seemed to be falling apart. He had hated sitting in there, feeling the anger and hurt between his friends at what should have been a time when they were all there for each other and for Raynar. Instead, they half of them were not speaking to each other, and the few who were were too sad to do anything about it.

The worst part was the knowledge of how much things had changed. Hearing the others speak about their memories of Lusa had made him realize just how different things were now. Less than a year ago, we were all alive and in love. He thought sadly. How did we let that go?

Then again, it had seemed almost too good to last, almost like a fairy tale. The events of Midwinter Festival had been pure coincidence: Alema had just happened to knock on Zekk?s door, Lusa had been walking by when Raynar regained consciousness, Jaina?s equipment had broken down just hours before the performance. It had been a charmed night; what were the odds of its effects lasting?

Shivering slightly in the crisp autumn air, he glanced around once more at the clear sky and bustling traffic before returning to the heartbreak inside.

4. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    Way to angst, Lusa! =D= Poor Kyp. Poor Raynar. Poor Zekk. Poor everyone. :( I suppose it's too late to hope for a happy ending? :p

5. kotorchick

kotorchick Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 11, 2005
    Such angst! Such heartbreak. And so true. How others go on and be happy when you're dealing with the hardest thing ever- it always hurts on some level.

Goodbye love.. my favorite.

6. Darkwriter

Jan 28, 2006
    Nice. I like how that was iterated. Good job.

Janet

7. Lusa_Thul

Sep 9, 2004
    JoE

I suppose it's too late to hope for a happy ending?

Ummm...Well, don't want to give anything away, but you might want to get soem more tissues next time you go to the store! :p

kotorchick

Why thnk you! And I love Goodbye Love, too! I couldn't believe they cut most of it from the movie!

Janet

Why thank you! :)

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    :_| That was so sad!!! :_|

But I absolutely LOVE that song. It and the next are my two favorite RENT songs. They make me want to cry.

9. Lusa_Thul

Sep 9, 2004
    Alright, dudes, I don't know about you but I was darned upset that they cut the best parts of this song from the movie! I have no idea what that were smpking to come up with that brilliant idea, but, hey, whatever. Anyways, I love this song, cause it makes me cry every single time I see the show, and honestly had a lot of fun writing it, which is probably kinda bad, cause its, like, depressing, you know? :p Alright, here ya go!

And, I think if I can time these next few posts right, I can get the Fanale up on Christmas, which would make my day!

Part 37 - Goodbye Love

Goodbye love
    Goodbye love
    Came to say goodbye, love, goodbye
    Just came to say
    Goodbye love
    Goodbye love
    Goodbye love
    Hello disease

Goodbye Love
    , from Rent

All of the mourners had left, with the exception of Lusa?s closest friends. Raynar still stood silent and sad before the coffin, his arms wrapped around the worn coat.

Breaking away from where she stood with Anakin, Alema crossed hesitantly over to Zekk. When he did not acknowledge her presence, she asked, softly, ?I heard Jaina say you were selling you instrument and buying passage out of the system.? He nodded, but did not elaborate. After a moment, she added, ?Where are you going??

He shrugged. ?I don?t know. Any place is better than here.? She looked away, not meeting his gaze as he added, ?You really are back with Anakin??

She nodded hesitantly. ?He?s what I need right now. I know you don?t understand that, but it?s true.?

?I understand perfectly.? He growled, glaring from her to Anakin and back again.

Alema opened her mouth to respond angrily when Jag jumped to her defense. ?Don?t push it, Zekk. Not here.? He said, glancing at Raynar?s forlorn figure.

?You really have to be in control of every situation, don?t you?? Jaina snapped at him, joining the growing argument.

?I?m not being in control,? He shot back, ?I?m being considerate. You might want to try it sometime.?

?I can think of a few other people who could use some practice at that, too.? Alema added, glaring at Zekk.

?At least I didn?t show up here flaunting my new lover!? Zekk retorted, clenching his fists.

?We came here to say goodbye to a friend.? Anakin said icily. ?I know you may not be good at that, Zekk, but don?t use it as an excuse to make other people?s lives miserable.?

?You guys,? Kyp pleaded, ?Jag?s right; do this somewhere else.?

?Shut up, Kyp!? Zekk snapped. ?At least the rest of us have a reason to fight. You spend all your time behind that stupid camera instead of bothering to try to connect with anyone else. You don?t even have anyone to argue with.?

?Hey, he?s not the only one who?s not fighting.? Jacen interjected.

?And you?ve got even less reason than he does to get involved.? Jaina retorted. ?Just stay out of it!?

?Stop it!? A new voice sliced through the turmoil, halting them sharply. No one had noticed when Raynar had left the coffin and moved to join them; they had been too caught up in themselves. Tears still streaked his cheeks, and he looked lost and frail, as though one touch would shatter him. When he spoke, though, his voice was as hard and cold as ice, quivering with emotion. ?I have never once asked you for anything for myself. Ever. I?ve never been selfish because I?ve never believed in doing that to my friends. But I?m going to be selfish now. Don?t do this to me.? He said tightly, ?Not today. Just once stop fighting and try to help me. Do you think she would have wanted this?? He asked, gesturing to the coffin. ?She hated it. Didn?t you ever notice that she always went out of her way to bring you back together? So just for once stop thinking about yourselves. Do it for her, if you won?t for me.? He finished softly.

The sharp, pain-filled silence that followed his words was worse than the fighting. Raynar shook his head sadly, closing his tear-filled blue eyes for a moment before adding quietly, ?Forget it. I should have known it was stupid to ask.? Before they could speak he was gone, hurrying from the room, his

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    :_| :_| :_| I think this is my favorite post out of the whole story. Poor Raynar!!! He's totally not being selfish; the rest of them are. Love how Jag hugged Jaina :) And Zekk's just being something that violates the TOS :mad: Alema still loves him!!

I [face_love] this song as well, and I'm so mad it's not in the movie. It's in the deleted scenes, though (and so is Halloween) and they're both included on the full movie soundtrack.

11. Lusa_Thul

Sep 9, 2004
    Oh, come on now, guys! Don't leave me hanging here! :p

12. Lusa_Thul

Sep 9, 2004
    You guys FAIL! F-A-I-L! If I weren't trying to time this to get teh fanale up on Christmas, I would deprive you of an update! (Except for Nat, who gets 50 thousand gold stars)

Part 38 - What You Own

Dying in America
    At the end of the millennium
    We're dying in America
    To come into our own
    And when you're dying in America
    At the end of the millennium
    You're not alone
    I'm not alone
    I'm not alone

What You Own
    , from Rent

Kyp sat in the empty loft, editing the footage he was preparing to send to Wolam Tser for the evening news. The room was well lit now and warm, a far cry from the way things had been last year. Working did have a few benefits, even if he hated it.

Shaking his head and taking a sip of the now-cold caf sitting beside him, he continued to work. He did not really know what he was editing, and frankly he did not care. It did not mean anything to him, just another set of meaningless frames.

He absently opened another file, thinking it contained more footage of whatever this story was. A new image appeared on the screen, and he froze, staring in surprise at Lusa?s smiling face as she spoke to the Life Support meeting. With a start he realized this was from Midwinter Festival, the first day he had met her.

It seemed strange to him that he had just been thinking about how much he hated his work, and then had suddenly stumbled across this. He must have been saving it for his film, though the specifics escaped him.

Suddenly he paused, leaning closer to stare intently at the image, the spark of an idea beginning to flicker in his brain. He grinned, making his decision before he had even been aware he was considering. Hurrying over to the comm unit, he dialed Wolam?s frequency. The elderly man answered it and, taking a deep breath, Kyp said, ?Wolam, this is Kyp. I know this sounds crazy and out of the blue, but I need to quit.?

Zekk did not know where he was. Some second-rate cantina on an equally backwater planet, that was all that mattered. He glanced around at the mixture of beings that filled it, sipping his drink as he did.

He tried to ignore the band that was playing in one corner, but was unable to suppress a wince at their lack of skill. Trying not to focus on them, he let his gaze wander to the twi?lek who was dancing on the floor in front of them. She was green, not blue, but he still found himself looking away, unable to watch her.

Trying to distract himself he began to hum absently, his fingers drumming lightly on the table. Suddenly he froze, realizing what he was doing. Then, with a frantic flurry of movement he grabbed for a napkin, pulling a stylo out of his pocket and scribbling frantically on it before the melody left him.

Taking a break from his film, Kyp climbed out onto the fire escape, shivering against the cold. Leaning on the rail, he stared out at the city. Evening was beginning to fall, and the lights of the buildings and speeders shone like jewels against the rich blue sty.

Dropping his gaze down to the pavement, he watched the people on it. Almost no one was out at this hour, and he was about to look away when a tall figure with dark hair caught his attention .He grinned, not needing to see the bass mando slung across his back to know who it was.

Zekk looked up, catching sight of him. An uncertain smile spread across his face as he waved. It became a grin a moment later as he reached up to catch the key Kyp had dropped down to him.

?Welcome home, trash collector.? Kyp called down as he let himself in.

13. jedi_of_ennth

Mar 1, 2005
    Nice couple of updates. As always, you manage to wrench every bit of emotion out of the characters. :)

?Not today. Just once stop fighting and try to help me. Do you think she would have wanted this?? He asked, gesturing to the coffin. ?She hated it. Didn?t you ever notice that she always went out of her way to bring you back together? So just for once stop thinking about yourselves. Do it for her, if you won?t for me.? He finished softly.

Poor Raynar. :(

14. Darkwriter

Jan 28, 2006
    Goodbye Love was so awesome. I was listening to Josh Groban while I was reading it, and I almost cried. During the movie, I did cry.

I know I say this a lot, but What You Own is one of my favorite songs. Nice job with that.

Janet

15. Lusa_Thul

Sep 9, 2004
    JoE

Aww, thanks! :)

Janet

Wow, thanks! *Passes tissues* I cry every single time I see it live! Its so sad!

And I totally love What You Own! Its so cool!

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yay!! New post!!!

Very awesome that Zekk came back and Kyp quit the job. Can't wait to see what he'll do with the holo!!

And me getting 50 million gold stars = way awesome :D

Also, I think you might like this :D

17. Lusa_Thul

Sep 9, 2004
    Aight, yo, I decided to go with the way they did this song in the movie and have the firends call instead of the parents like in the show, bascally because all the characters except, like, 2, are orphans! So there ya have it!

Part 39 - Voice Mail #5

Mimi, chica, donde estas?
    Tu mama esta llamando
    Donde estas Mimi -- Call

Voice Mail #5
    , from Rent

The comm unit clicked on with a buzz. ?Speak.?

?Zekk, Kyp, this is Anakin. I was wondering if either of you have seen Alema. She dropped out of rehab and moved out, and I haven?t seen her in a while. I?m starting to get worried about her. If either of you see her, could you please call??

?Hey, Zekk. Jaina here. Anakin and I went and talked to the manager of the Nexu Club. He said he can?t remember the last time Alema showed up for work. I asked him to keep his eyes open, and we spoke to some of the girls who work there, but none of them know where she it.?

?Hey, you guys, it?s Raynar. I?ve been asking around after Alema, like I said I would. No one at Life Support knows where she is, and she hasn?t picked up her medicine in a long time. I even managed to hunt down her spice dealer. He said he thinks she might be living on the street, but he doesn?t know where. He did say she hasn?t bought anything from him in a long time, though, so I suppose that?s good. I?ll keep looking, but I?m getting worried. It?s getting really cold, and if she?s living out there?I don?t want to loose another friend.?

?Hi, Zekk, this is Jacen. I went ahead and filed a missing person report for Alema, although I?m not sure what good that will do. Tenel Ka says she would use the Hapian intelligence network, if she thought it was trustworthy. Which its not. I?ll let you know if I hear anything, though.?

?Jag here. I?ve been asking all the homeless beings I see if they?ve seen Alema. A few said they had, but either it?s been awhile, or they don?t remember where they saw her or even know for certain if it was her. I think she must be nearby, she just doesn?t want us to find her.?

Zekk listened to the message in silence, waiting for it to end before turning to gaze sightlessly out the window into the cold winter night.

18. Darkwriter

Jan 28, 2006
    Very nice post. Poor Zekk.

Janet

19. jedi_of_ennth

Mar 1, 2005
    *sigh* Zekk needs to swallow his pride and go after Alema!

Nice update. :)

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Good post!!! I like the way you divided it up into messages from different people :)

So, it's Christmas Eve tonight!! Are you going to finish the story tonight? Hard to believe it's been a year!!

21. Lusa_Thul

Sep 9, 2004
    Aight, yo, stay tuned for an update at a predictable time tonight! :p

Darkwriter

Thanks bunchies! :)

JoE

Maybe he will, maybe he won't! Wait and see! :p

Nat

Thanks! I thought that would work well! And there are actually 3 more posts in this thing (I know, right?) but there is gonna be one tonight! We stil got 'Fanale' 'Your Eyes' and 'Fanale B'! :)

22. Lusa_Thul

Sep 9, 2004
    DECEMBER 24TH, 10 PM, EASTERN STANDARD TIME! I CAN'T BELIEVE A YEAR WENT BY SO FAST! TIME TO SEE WHAT WE HAVE, TIME TO SEE!

*Ahem* Can I have a moment to be sumg about how I've been synching all the holiday posts in this thing? Thank you! :p

Part 40 - Finale

Who do you think you are?
    Leaving me alone with my guitar
    Hold on there's something you should hear
    It isn't much but it took all year

Finale
    , from Rent

?I can?t believe a year went by so fast.? Kyp admitted as he made a few final adjustments to the projector.

?Me either.? Zekk agreed from where he sat on the arm of their single battered couch, tuning his instrument. ?You?re really going to show that?? He added, nodding at the projector.

?Amazingly, I really am.? He replied. ?As soon as Raynar shows up, that is.?

?Maybe he got mugged again.? Zekk suggested, sounding amused.

As if to disprove his point, the comm unit beeped. ?Throw down the key. It?s cold.? Raynar?s voice demanded.

?Sure thing.? Kyp replied, standing and climbing out the window to do so. Raynar caught the key cheerfully, then disappeared from sight as he entered the building.

A few moments later he opened the door, triumphantly waving a handful of credit bills and carrying a bucked of food. ?Happy Midwinter Festival! Almost.? He greeted cheerfully.

?Where did you get all that?? Kyp asked, raising an eyebrow questioningly.

?Don?t ask.? Raynar told him, setting the supplies down. ?Trust me.? Changing the subject, he gestured at the projector. ?You really finished it??

?Why does everyone seem so surprised?? Kyp demanded, looking hurt.

?Because it took you a year?? Zekk suggested.

?Oh, like your song took less time.? His friend shot back sarcastically.

Before Zekk could reply, a scream from the street sliced through the chill winter air. ?Kyp! Zekk! Anyone! Help!?

?Jaina?? Kyp called, hurrying out onto the fire escape, his two companions in tow. Zekk was the last out, and he leaned around Kyp curiously to see what was happening. Catching sight of the scene, he felt his heart stop. Jaina and Jag stood staring up at them. Jaina looked frantic, but it was Jag who caught his attention, as he stood holding a limp blue body in his arms.

?Throw us the key so we can get in!? She yelled. ?Hurry!? Raynar, who still held the key tossed it down to her and she caught it deftly. Moments later they were inside, looking around desperately for a place to set Alema. The furniture was covered with junk, but after a moment Kyp dug out a blanket which he draped across the table.

Jag gently placed the twi?lek on it, standing back as Zekk pulled off his jacket to cover her. She was shivering uncontrollably, her form wracked by shuddering coughs. ?She was living on the street.? Jag explained. ?We just found her.?

?I?ll call a medic.? Raynar said, hurrying over to the comm unit and dialing. After a moment he broke into a frantic string of curses. ?I?m on hold!?

?Don?t waste your money on me.? Alema wheezed before doubling in another fit of coughing.

Zekk slid his hand into hers letting her cling to it tightly, as though it were all that kept her there. ?We?re not wasting it.? He whispered. ?Just hang on, please.? He shook his head desperately. ?I never should have left. I?m so sorry. It wasn?t because I didn?t-?

?I know.? She cut him off, trying to smile. ?It was my fault, too. If I hadn?t-? Zekk shook his head, silencing her. She started to speak, but was halted by a bout of coughs. Gasping for breath, she shifted her grip to his arm, pulling him closer as she whispered weakly. ?I love you.?

?Don?t go yet.? He said softly, fighting back tears. ?Not yet. There?s something you should hear.?

23. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    *Catches up on everything because she's wicked awesome like that.*

What a ride, Lusa! I love how everything is managing to come together. :) And you are so genius for synching it. :p

It's almost over! That's going to make me cry.

Anyway, GREAT bundle of updates.

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That was so good!!! And now you've got me on edge for the next one!! ARe you going to have Zekk sing the song? [face_praying]

25. Darkwriter

Jan 28, 2006
    Eek! So wonderful! I can't wait until the next post!

?Don?t go yet.? He said softly, fighting back tears. ?Not yet. There?s something you should hear.? I'm going to sound like an old English teacher, but I really like the diction right there.

Awesome!

Janet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.