main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Z's Drabbles (Mara, Leia, Jaina, Alema, Ackbar, Lusa so far)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Zonoma, Jul 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    "When words are scarce, they are seldom spent in vain." -William Shakespeare

This thread is a response to THE ULTIMATE DRABBLE CHALLENGE, located in Resource. Join us if you dare!

Week 1: Mara Jade
    Week 2: Princess Leia
    Week 3: Songs of Jaina Solo
    Week 4: Alema Rar (/Zekk)
    Week 5: Admiral Ackbar
    Week 6: Lusa (/Raynar)

*Every piece of artwork you see in this thread was found in the JC Fan Art Forums and displayed here with permission. The links beneath each portrait will take you directly to the thread of the 'feature artist'. I encourage you to poke around over there and perhaps leave an encouraging comment or two. They are generous folks to allow me to display their art with my work.

Zonoma

2. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    **MARA JADE**
    [image=http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/3514/mjpainting20ii.jpg]
    Artwork provided by Snap

1~ Beginnings

Everyone forgot to tell her fires roared like dragons. She wished the man holding her would put her down. She wanted her mama. Daddy had passed her to him, though, so she trusted this man because Daddy did.

The night was cold and she stared into the chaos, searching for some sign of her family. She shivered.

A gnarled hand gripped her shoulder, ?They aren?t coming, little one. They saved you by passing you out to us, Mara.?

She knew the man was right, she could feel it.

?What will happen to me now??

?You will come live with me.?

2 ~ Middles

Mara allowed the Senator?s eyes to travel her body lecherously and repressed the flash of revulsion. She had a job to do, and allowing him this brief moment of triumph was part of it. She took a small breath before speaking, allowing her breasts to strain the confines of her gown.

?The Emperor wishes you to know that your game was well played. I am sent to you with his compliments.?

Her hands opened, beckoning, and he came to her willingly. She let down her hair, smiling enticingly as she stuck the lacquered pin from her hair into his jugular.

3 ~ Ends

Screaming, she fell to the ground holding her head in traitorous, trembling hands. People gave her a wide berth, but no one stood forward to offer help. Instincts of Mos Eisley natives were sound, offering to help her right now was tantamount to suicide.

Kill Luke Skywalker!

Rage. Awful uncontrolled rage. Pain. Heat. Then the awful, icy rage again.

Kill Luke Skywalker! Kill Luke Skywalker!

She knew, stumbling blindly back to her transport, that her service to the Emperor was ended the way it began so long ago. In heat and pain and loss. In flames that roared like dragons.

4 ~ First

Doubting was something Mara was becoming more accustomed to, since the Emperor?s death so many years ago. Admitting them out loud was something new.

Extending her hand out to the man before her, she introduced herself to Corran Horn. It was hard, allowing someone to know she was vulnerable. Is this what friendship was?

She couldn?t quite explain it, but expressing her doubts about Luke?s teaching methods to Corran was safe. He wouldn?t turn on Luke. He was Luke?s friend and as concerned as she was. He also needed someone, apparently, to express his doubts to.

Perhaps this was friendship.

5 ~ Last

She sat in the dark, arms trembling from fatigue, systematically educating Skywalker on the error of his ways. She should be able to do this in her sleep.

Except it hurt.

The look in his eyes, as he clung to his perch beside her, was like a kick in the gut.

As she forced herself to continue, she felt the last of her doubts slide away. These weren?t the arrogant acts of another egocentric maniac, but rather the idealistic and innocent mistakes of a simple farmboy that, for all his laurels, was still naive about the way the universe worked.

3. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    =D= Wow. Those were beautiful. I love how you were able to fit so much into only one hundred words! I especially love the way you tied "Beginnings" and "Ends" together with the "flames that roared like dragons". Beautiful description. :)

"Middles" was wonderful, too; the way you present Mara is perfect, and again, I'm just amazed that you managed to capture such a perfectly in-character little snapshot in so little space. :)

Good job! =D=

4. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    Great job on those drabbles Zonoma!

5. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Whoa ? this was real cool, Z. :D *sits down to wait for more*

KT

6. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    This certainly is something new. I enjoyed reading them.

I liked "first" the most. Corran and Mara are friends. =D=

7. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Z: :D!

- The Imperial Ewok

8. IrishEyedJedi

IrishEyedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2005

Loved the drabble - when will we see more . . . and when will I see you write H/L hmmm!!! [face_batting]

9. Blue_Milkshake

Blue_Milkshake Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 18, 2005
    Yay! I love drabbles! [face_love] A good drabble can really set a reader's imagination going, and going, and going...

My favorite was First.

She couldn?t quite explain it, but expressing her doubts about Luke?s teaching methods to Corran was safe. He wouldn?t turn on Luke. He was Luke?s friend and as concerned as she was. He also needed someone, apparently, to express his doubts to.

I think this thing that Mara couldn't quite explain is called trust.

10. TelannaTani

TelannaTani Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2005
    My first intro to drabbles - I'm hooked!

I loved the "fire that sounds like dragons"! Such a great description of how a child must interprit the destruction surrounding them. Overall, a great interpritation of Mara, in all aspects of her life.

Excellent, Excellent, Master! =D=

My one thought: maybe you should include this warning...

WARNING: Plot bunnies MAY be spawned from drabbles. Author cannot be held liable.

:D

11. Stormtrooper_TK-421

Stormtrooper_TK-421 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    :D =D=

Awesome! Seriously, awesome! Can't wait to see another one! :)

12. Jessoass

Jessoass Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2005
    Great work Zonoma!!!=D=

Jess

13. Feng_Huang

Feng_Huang Jedi Master star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    Great work, I envy people who can produce so many images with so few little words

14. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    On the site where the challenge is, the only rule is to write the ?drabble? in the order given and make sure it is exactly 100 words. It really trains the eye in how to cull out the clutter and go back to bare bones without losing the flavor.

If this generates enough interest, perhaps we can begin a Drabble Challenge here, too. Just let me know, guys. I know there are Saga and Before folks interested.

j_o_e ~ Thank you! ?Flames that roared like dragons? was my fave line, too. I was thought I was being clever at the time, but now I just like it.

Kidan ~ Thank you!

KT ~ I?ll post 5 drabbles a week. (Gee, that sounds familiar! Maybe I can do it this time.) Thank you for reading!

brew ~ Yeah, that scene from I, Jedi was still fresh in my mind because I just read it for the first time last month. Interestingly enough, that was also my least ?confident? drabble because I wasn?t sure how it would go over and felt forced.

Ewok ~ o_O :D!!

Leah ~ Well, I?m sure I could manage some H/L drabble eventually. Just for you. Thanks for dropping by!

Blue_Milkshake ~ You love Drabbles? Do you love writing them? Because I?m trying to figure out if there are enough takers for a Drabble Challenge. The only iffy thing would be the individual ?drabble threads? wouldn?t always contain era specific drabble.

I?m glad you mentioned that one. It was my least confident drabble, it felt forced in some ways, but I felt that was a huge part of Mara?s transition.

Voz ~ ROTFLOL! I love that warning! Now I really must know, did you have a bunny nibble on your ankles from this? I can?t wait to see the results!

Padawan-Mine ~ [face_mischief] The next one we see should be written by you. I look forward to seeing the results of your current assignment! Thank you for taking the time to read mine.

Jess ~ (First of all, do you know how many Jessica?s are in this thread? Three at the very least! I find that vaguely humorous for some strange reason). Thank you for reading and letting me know you enjoyed it!

Feng_Huang ~ Thank you. [face_blush]

15. jaina_clan_solo

jaina_clan_solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    =D= Great job with this challenge! I think that you captured Mara perfectly!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the next set of drabbles.

jcs

16. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Exquisite, my dear. :D

17. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    j_c_s ~ Perfectly!:eek: I'm glad you liked it!:p

Piggy ~ Thank you! I hope you will join in the challenge, too.

18. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Fab Z! :) I look forward to many more! :D

19. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Terrific work! Loved the "flames that roared like dragons" imagery, too. But I think my fav was "middles." Reminded me of Anakin "taking care of" the people at Mustafar.

Wonderful job. =D=

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Brilliant!!! Each built on the last and was so moving in each segment and in total; especially that her service began and ended with pain, heat and loss. So true. Was touched that it hurt her to tell Luke the truth about his mishaps with the Academy and that she realized it wasn't out of malice or cruelty but innocent idealism. :) I don't know how this works, as far as the drabble challenge goes, but if you ever do Mara again, or Luke--or anyone else, I'll be tickled pink. :D No brainer: the one for Han will be sweet and funny, I'm sure. :)

21. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    Kes! ~ Thanks for stopping by! This is half your fault, you know. You and J_L got me hooked on these.

divapilot ~ I'm rather partial to that one, too. Thanks for mentioning it. There's just something about a dangerous woman....[face_laugh] but being Trace's padawan, I imagine that you love the character. Period. I do, too.

Jade_Eyes ~ If you find these that intriguing, you should consider trying it, too! The Ultimate Drabble Challenge is located in Resource. There is even an index for the challenge participants in the 3rd and 4th posts. Actually, I highly recommend checking out the others. I am not the best drabble author out there - I am new to this, too.

This is just the first week of twenty. I you choose to check it out, and want to join, my PM box is open for questions. Challenge your friends to a Drabble Duel! ;)

I am excited that you liked my Mara so much. I see your name in the Mara Resource thread often enough, and it is good to get a thumbs up from such a devout fan. Thanks!

Zonoma

22. jackyyy17

jackyyy17 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2006
    Oh, those where good.

23. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    What a perfect way to feature the highlights of Mara's life.

Bravo!

=D= =D= =D= =D=

24. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    I liked all of them. It's hard to pick a favorite, but I guess it would have to be the last one, pointing out Luke's mistakes. That had to be harder on her than it was on him.

Hope to see more from you.

25. princess_melissa

princess_melissa Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Those were awsome! They flowed nicely taking us through each stage in her life and bringing us on a roller coaster of emotions at the same time.

I think my favorite was the 2nd one.

She let down her hair, smiling enticingly as she stuck the lacquered pin from her hair into his jugular.
    :eek: ouch but that's kinda cool

Nice job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.