main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zuckuss is a droid?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by sith_rising, Mar 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I was watching TESB this afternoon, and I noticed something I've never seen before. On Bespin, when Chewie is trying to retrieve C-3PO from the Ugnaughts, look to the right of the screen. There is a droid, a "Zuckuss" just sitting there. He's more silver/chrome than the brown one from the Star Destroyer, but it looks JUST like him. I had always thought that 4-LOM was a droid and that Zuckuss was organic with some mechanical apparatus for breathing, but it is apparent that Zuckuss is also a model of droid.

2. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I never noticed a "Zuckuss" in that scene. But Zuckuss the bounty hunter is a Gand. He has to wear the breathing mask when he's in oxygen environments because oxygen is posionous to Gands.

3. DarthBane77

DarthBane77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2003
    Zuckuss is a Gand. He also wears breathing gear - something a droid wouldn't need.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    You're confusing Zuckuss and 4LOM.Darths Bane and Lassic are correct. Zuckuss belongs to a race known as the Gand.

5. DarthLassic007

Nov 25, 2002
    I always did notice an IG88 droid in that scene many years before reading Tales of the Bounty Hunters.

6. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    When ESB first came out, and also in the figures line, Zuckus was the droid and 4-Lom was the one in the brown robe with the breathing mask.

Sometime around the mid 90's "they" (whoever they are) changed this around to make the droid the one with the alpha numeric name, rather more apropriate...

Anyway, They just re-used props for the Bespin room, which is why we also see a droid in Jabba's torture room that was also seen in Echo base, identical right down to the dirt marks on it's torso.

It's called film making on a tight budget.

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    So, it's actually a 4-LOM in there?
    I thought that either rising was seeing things or there really was a lifeless Gand in there. Creepy thought.

8. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Just checked, and yeah, when Chewie goes into the room to get Threepio's bits back, when you see the IG-88 prop, the insectoid faced droid is in there as well, just to the right of the IG.

9. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    who is zuckuss again? which one in ESB?

10. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    the one to the very right

and, the obligatory CCG card:

[image=http://www.decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/dagobah/dark/images/zuckuss.gif]

sorry, Quest ;)

11. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    yes, i remember back when the little squatty one was 4-lom. that whole switch buissness has never sat right with me, just calling him zuckuss because the other one's a droid. what a pile of crap.

12. sith_rising

Jan 7, 2004
    I just watched the scene again to make sure it wasn't a 4-LOM droid. There is no mistaking it, it's the same as Zuckuss. It has the same bulbous eyes as 4-LOM, but even has the large round object between the eyes that Zuckuss has. So, either Cloud City has yet ANOTHER dead bounty hunter to explain, or the EU has made a very large mistake by trying to write off a droid as an organism. I never liked the whole Zuckuss/4-LOM relationship in the books anyway. It's like the writer thought, "hey, they both have bug eyes, and they're standing next to each other, lets run with that!"

13. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    The zuckuss and 4-LOM heads are pretty much identical.
    A "dead" droid, if there even is one in that scene, would be a 4-LOM type.

14. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Actually, no reason they can't both be droids anyway, one of them's just wearing a robe of some kind.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    IIRC, it was the action figure line that mixed up 4-LOM and Zuckuss's names, so it was not a name change later on, just an ignoring of an earlier marketing mistake.

>> sorry, Quest<<

Damn you! ;)

But, not to be out-done...

[image=http://www.decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/cloudcity/dark/images/cloudcityincinerator.gif]

It doesn't necessarily have to be a droid- it's a junk room, so a breath mask of Gand design finding it's way in there and just being propped off to the side isn't that far out of the question.

16. sith_rising

Jan 7, 2004
    So it that entire piece a helmet that a Gand wears over his skin? I had always thought that they were an insect-looking species, and that he just had respirators going into that large socket between his eyes. From the looks of that pic, the entire top portion of the body is a module which resembles a droid. Either that, or a Gand has been cut in half and put in the dumpster. They probably should have put a 4-LOM model in that room if the set designers just needed some filler, because now the entire concept of Gand=organic being is shot. 4-LOM and Zuckuss were both droids. The EU writers should have researched that scene a little better, IMO.

17. Snaggleass

Snaggleass Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2004
    Zuckuss was once 4-lom and 4-lom was once zuckuss. All because of the action figure, some were molto confused!!

18. DarthLassic007

Nov 25, 2002
    Like Quest said, it was just Kenner making a mistake with their action figures not Lucas.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah- apparently it was the set decorators that didn't do their research.

20. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    They probablythought that noone would be bored enough, or one day have the technology to frame by frame and then get on something called the "internet" and lose sleep over it...

21. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    Cool...I never noticed that before.

I agree with TheSecondQuest...that is most likely just a Gand respirator helmet and suit sitting there.

Zuckuss was never intended to be a droid. When planning the bounty hunter scene for ESB, the concept designs for the six characters were Boba Fett, Lizard Face, Phlutdroid (IG-88), another droid, a human, and a Lobster Face. Zuckuss was the Lobster Face.

I don't think it's ever been established in the EU how much of what we see is Zuckuss and how much is his suit. I've always thought it was a helmet and underneath is a bug-eyed alien with a mouth.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    While they're usually illustrated with their breathing apparatus, I believe there has been some illustrations of the Gand in Rogue Squadron, who doesn't need the mask since he's one of the Gand races without lungs.

23. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Zuckuss is like Plo Koon in the sense that he has to wear a gas mask. The only droids are 1G-88 and 4-LOM.

24. block

block Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2004
    I remember when they made that change with Zuckuss and 4LOMs names. Man that one messed with my head for a bit. Whenever I watch the movie 4LOM is still the guy in the robe, and Zuckuss is still the robot.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Do you mean the change when the toys screwed up, or the "change" when the mistake was ignored?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.