1. The NEW boards are up and running!
    Boards.TheForce.net

POSTING ON THIS BOARD HAS BEEN DISABLED

Lit 138 ABY and Beyond: The Essential Post-Legacy Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Expanded Universe' started by AdmiralNick22, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Crimson Zephyr Jedi Master

Yeah, I'd like to see a different side to Corellia, though. The "badass navy, intrepid explorer" side, not "the reckless adventurer who spends eighty percent of his time emulating Han Solo side" or "the idiotic contrarian who rebels simply to rebel side."
  2. Obie_Two_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Forgive me if someone has already touched on this, but the very last page of Legacy War shows an aquatic scene with what I took as new life being "born". I assumed that the point was that Dac was already mending itself?
  3. Zander Duo Jedi Knight

I believe that this was Traa Saa's ritual thing that she was preparing during The Battle of the Hidden Temple, similar to what the tree dude on Ossus did when it was obliterated in TOTJ. Same concept, but on the Hidden Temple planet.
  4. AdmiralNick22 Jedi Grand Master

I wish as well. Hell, show us a Corellian that is devoted to galactic service and government too. I swear, sometimes I get the vibe that some authors forget that Corellia was a Republic member for 25,000 years, so they aren't exactly anti-galactic union.

--Adm. Nick
  5. Havac Moderator of Your Temporary Lit Substitute

Yeah, I'd love to see a take on Corellia as a great naval and economic power that's been crucial to galactic government and exploration throughout history. And not just as a bunch of smugglers and reflexive rebels.
    Bud Charles likes this.
  6. Grand Admiral Jello Community and Expanded Universe mod-type person

EGTW did point out that the Corellia of Antilles and the Corellia of Fel were almost two different worlds, so there's... that.
  7. GenAntilles Jedi Master

Personally I wouldn't mind if Corellia said 'Enough of this, were out of the GA/Empire, anyone who wants out can join us.' and creates their own Republic/Confederation/Alliance of dissatisfied systems that aren't hostile to the GA/Empire, but strictly independent and neutral.
    Bud Charles likes this.
  8. Crimson Zephyr Jedi Master

I'd be fine with that if the powers that be didn't constantly portray Corellians as being fascists or terrorists bent on going about it in the worst possible way. I mean, they really made almost every Corellian national in LOTF out to be a slimy jerkass who resolved any difference of opinion by having their opponents murdered and being blatant in their intention to do so.

For now, I'd just be happy with Corellia as a loyal Alliance world. An independent-minded one, but a loyal one. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
    Bud Charles likes this.
  9. AdmiralNick22 Jedi Grand Master

THIS!

You are absolutely correct that being independent and a member of the GA don't need to be mutually exclusive. If anything, making it that way is lazy writing, IMO. Corellia can be part of the GA yet still have strong opinions and this can be shown in scences where the Senate debates hot issues. Alas, authors have forgotten how to use the Senate in an interesting way, hence the issues we have seen in recent years.

--Adm. Nick
  10. GenAntilles Jedi Master

Sadly the issue is in current star wars politics there are two types of senators, the scheming corrupt ones, and the dead ones.

But I really don't want to see a return to the staus quo where the GA is the ultimate power in the galaxy and controls nearly all of it but is constantly being threatened with destruction. If you are that big and powerful you shouldn't be nearly toppled every time a crisis happens. If the make the GA the superpower of the galaxy they have to make it competent, but the only way to have the GA in a story and still have their be tension and worry it seems is if EVERY crisis is powerful enough to destroy it.

That's why I want a more balkanized galaxy, cause then the storylines they have will be believable. They can have the GA in crisis all they want then.

Not to mention I can't imagine why any planet or system would jump for joy at rejoining the GA, it has one of the worst records in governmental history.
  11. Crimson Zephyr Jedi Master

The problem is that, since NJO's 19 book competition to be as Grim Dark as possible, the powers that be in the EU are all about sequel escalation. Everything needs to be bigger, bloodier, and more epic than the series that came before. They end up populating the cast with jerkasses and lunatics (personality disorders our chosen heroes are strangely immune to) and coming up with a contrived reason for conflict that rips off the film saga's basic premise (or Starcraft's, in the case of the Dark Nest trilogy). It's entirely possible to have smaller threats by having a smaller focus, by shifting the focus away from the ruling elite and more to the guys fighting the good fight in the trenches. If we're going to make the leader of the Jedi Order, the leader of the Empire, the GA Chief of State, and a goddamn space-Cthulhu part of the central cast, and upon whom the story focuses primarily on, then of course they'll need huge threats. Otherwise, the first three would be doing desk jobs. Instead of making these guys mired in relatively mundane issues, focus on less politically-powerful characters. Make a central character a Senator; a ship captain; a minor, newly minted Jedi Knight. These are guys for whom a pirate attack, a slaver ring, or a smuggling operation would seem like appropriate threats.

That's part of what I liked about Star Wars: Republic. The characters and the conflicts meshed. If there was a crisis, it was appropriate for the scope of the story. Quinlan Vos didn't start out grabbing beers with the Chancellor and then going on a mission to clear out a smuggler's hideout. He vaguely knew the Chancellor, interacted most often with his immediate superiors in the Jedi Order, and went to clear a smuggling operation. When he actually got that high up in the Republic government, he was commanding armies and the missions he went on in the beginning were now missions undertaken by greener Jedi.
    GenAntilles likes this.
  12. GenAntilles Jedi Master

I agree. If Luke and the High Council are involved it should only be for MASSIVE threats. Same with deploying the GA fleets, which I've lost count of how many there are and which are destroyed in the latest wars. I want more politics, more minor issues, and can we please have a war that isn't a galactic war?
  13. Ghost Jedi Grand Master

I think John confirmed that's the site of the Hidden Temple, and those were T'ra Saa's children.
  14. LegacyJedi Jedi Knight

I don't know, but when I get older, I want to become a comic book creator, and work myself into Dark Horse comics, and write a comic 400 years after legacy. Just hope I can get in.
  15. The Soldier of Fortune Jedi Padawan

Corellians reminiscent of themselves in the Alsakan conflicts-willing to take action but not fighting for the sake of fighting.
  16. Sinrebirth SWC, ToR and EUC Mod-Imperator

I want more Legacy. There. I said it.
  17. AdmiralNick22 Jedi Grand Master

Dark Horse needs to bring it back. Either as a re-brand (ala Republic into Dark Times) or in a series of 5-6 issue stand alone arcs. The current crop of comics, while containing some gems, lacks the power that a schedule with 2-3 flagship monthly ongoing series can bring. Stories have room to grow and breath in monthly ongoings. The same cannot be said always for these mini-arcs that are followed by months off.

-Adm. Nick
  18. AdmiralNick22 Jedi Grand Master

@The Soldier of Fortune

Heck, I hope that Alsakan gets used more too. The EGTW made it too interesting to ignore any longer.

--Adm. Nick
  19. The Soldier of Fortune Jedi Padawan

Yeah I don't think I'd ever heard of them before The EGTW.
  20. darthscott3457 Jedi Knight

I would love to see Corellia be brought more into the spotlight, and hopefully as a consequence we get to see some big fleets of Corellian warships along the way. I also hope they would make them a monarchy again. I always prefer the heroic noble approach (Prince-Admiral Jonash e Solo) rather than having more politicians, senators, prime ministers etc...