1. The NEW boards are up and running!
    Boards.TheForce.net

POSTING ON THIS BOARD HAS BEEN DISABLED

MOD ANNOUNCEMENT FOR EUC AND LIT -- EVERYONE LOOK AT THIS: Thread prefixes, mergers, and the new boards

Discussion in 'Expanded Universe' started by Havac, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Havac Moderator of Your Temporary Lit Substitute

I'm sure you all have noticed these fancy tags in front of the threads by now. When you make a thread, you're able to assign it a thread prefix in the thread title bar. It is necessary that you select a prefix for your thread identifying it as either a Lit or EUC topic. This is important both so that moderators can be clear on whose responsibility each thread is, and so that people using the tags to filter threads and see only one or the other forum's topics can see all the threads belonging in that forum.

It's also important that you all get in this habit now because EUC and Lit may remain merged on the new boards. Because the tagging system allows two forums to coexist in the same space, and be filtered out by someone who only wants to look at one forum, we are considering keeping Lit and EUC in the same space to encourage more cross-pollination of posters. The board would look like it does now -- one EU forum with tags for EUC and Lit. If you only want to see threads from one forum, click on that tag to filter out all the other threads. We would like your feedback about such an idea, and to answer any questions you might have.
  2. CooperTFN Jedi Grand Master

I have no practical problem with this, but I'm telling you now it will take me about six months to remember.
  3. Todd the Jedi Jedi Grand Master

I'm fine with how it is now. I don't usually post in EUC, but it's nice to have it here too. And as long as the filtering system stays, navigating the two forums should remain pretty simple.
  4. Kais Jai Sheelal Jedi Grand Master

I like it the way it was, clean and simple.

While the idea of raising traffic is a good one I'm not sure where this is going to leave the fan clubs of the EUC such as they are. While Lit is for highly serious discussion of important stuff:p the EUC is a far more relaxed atmosphere based around the simple idea of having fun. Just looking at what went on here when the temp boards came on line I could easily see a lovely, serious, probably heated discussion about Karen Traviss in Lit spilling over to the Republic Commando fan club just because they could end up right beside each other on the thread list.

Now this certainly would not happen often with our current userbase as everyone is very familiar with the forums, what discussion goes where and such. But the new users are potentially going to be a different nest of gundarks.

If an EUC fan club has to deal with every second post being something negative then that fan club could cease to be a destination for people very quickly. I could see similar problems happening with a LOTF fan club, a FOTJ fan club, so on, so forth. Even a safe fan club in relative terms, like say hypothetically a Dawn of the Jedi , could quickly find itself inundated with negativity due to the comic getting cancelled or a change in the creative team, just because its in and around the Lit threads and people are looking to vent.

Whatever happens going forward I'll be good with but I did want to bring these thoughts up incase such notions hadn't been considered.
  5. The New Empire Jedi Youngling

Sorry, but I'm a bit confused.

Lit obviously stands for literature but what does EUC mean? Expanded Universe.... ? How do i know what goes where? Could I have some examples please.
    AwesomeSauce likes this.
  6. Coric Force Ghost

I'm guessing Expanded Universe Community...
    s65horsey likes this.
  7. manisphere Jedi Master

See, I knew this would happen. All of us thrown together on one board like animals!
  8. Barriss_Coffee Retired Sith Lord

I'm going to find a way to label everything with the TCW prefix.
    Coric, Kais Jai Sheelal and Gorefiend like this.
  9. Bardan Jusik EUC 1st Mando Chancellor

I agree with all of this. The EUC is more a place for like minded fans of certain EU elements to get together and share their enjoyment with one another. From my limited experiance Lit is devoted to more serious and indeed crtitical conversation about the various literary elements of the EU. While cross posting between the groups is certainly desirable, as has been pointed out, the potential for " negative leakage" is also quite high. This can only result in hurt feelings and a diminished community for both Lit and the EUC.

There is also the potential for one group to bury the threads of the the other. Granted we can use the tag and filter features, but if we are filtering out the tags from the "other" group than this defeats the purpose of having Lit and EUC merged in the first place. Now don't get me wrong, I don't post often in Lit, but I throughly enjoy lurking there and reading the threads. I just think that things would be better off if Lit and the EUC were to remain seperate.

Coric is correct the EUC is the Expanded Universe Community.
  10. manisphere Jedi Master

You go with you're own! That's what my father used to say. I fully support forum apartheid.[face_not_talking] In fact I think lit posters should wear armbands while posting and we should ride at the back of the bus.
  11. Gorefiend Jedi Grand Master

I actually like the back of the bus better anyway. =)
  12. Addie Retiring RSA 5 days to go!

Whilst here I have watched the merging and its working here, but with more threads and clubs in the EUC, I suspect it would get very confusing. I think for this we should be separate. I have quoted earlier that I felt there was less literary comment being made, but judging by the amount of threads that have sprung up on the temporary boards, I am clearly wrong. A second thought tells me maybe we should be separated.
  13. CooperTFN Jedi Grand Master

Maybe I'm missing something, but if looks like if I set it to just show me "Lit" threads, then I'd miss literally everything else - not just EUC, but a "Mod" thread like this one as well. Is that advisable?
  14. GoodValors Jedi Master

I'm torn...

On one hand, it's been nice seeing some different faces in the Lit threads. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to trawl through more threads than I need to, which I suspect would lead me to doing what others have said, and filtering out the non-Lit threads, thus defeating the point.

So... I don't know. Not an easy choice...

My chief concern would be if a combined board was too big once both Lit and EUC resurrected all their regular threads, in Lit's case things like the TOR thread, the "series threads" for things like FOTJ on top of the individual novel/issue threads, the various Force philosophy, Celestial threads, etc, etc.

Right now, it's probably been a bit of a slow month posting wise with us in limbo and having mostly just focused on discussing the current releases like EGTW.
    *sends mani to sit on a table at the back of GoodValors on his own*

That work for you?:p
  15. Join the Schwarz Community Manager

Just for the record, a navigation bar like the one in Community and Fan Activities would probably be implemented.

That way you get the benefit of a expanded community but can still filter out the board (the prefix) you don't want to see for navigation easeness.
  16. s65horsey Jedi Grand Master

My only concern is that this is not an accurate representation of how the EUC operates. We've got a few threads here, but for the most part we've been waiting for the boards to come back. When you add on 8 or 10 more active Fan Club threads I fear a lot of the deep conversations in Lit are going to end up buried or cause users to use the filter which again defeats the purpose of merging. I love seeing new people in the EUC threads and I know the EUC can benefit greatly from this, but I anticipate people who are primarily Lit users getting frustrated at the massive bumping of EUC threads that occurs regularly in our forum. Ultimately I see Lit kicking the EUC out again.

Things that go in the EUC:
    Anything labeled as a fan club. So a fan club has discussion about the topic (say the Cade Brigade) but also a social aspect to it which is what isn't allowed so much in Lit. Favorites threads are not generally allowed in Lit (though it looks like they are allowing some now?) and those usually go in the EUC.
  17. CooperTFN Jedi Grand Master

Would it be possible to set filters in the opposite direction? So rather than "only show me Lit", one could set it to "everything but EUC"?

...which sounds mean when I put it like that. [face_sigh]
  18. Join the Schwarz Community Manager

Considering you only have two prefixes... er, yes, you can. :p
  19. s65horsey Jedi Grand Master

Well but there are 3 prefixes if you include MOD and as Coop pointed out before if you filter to just Lit, you don't see the MOD stuff.
  20. Join the Schwarz Community Manager

As I've said before, I doubt we're going to use MOD in the moved boards, exactly for that reason.

Basically because I was the person that made up the MOD prefix during the initial configuration of the boards and I never intended it to be a permanent fixture. ;)