1. The NEW boards are up and running!
    Boards.TheForce.net

POSTING ON THIS BOARD HAS BEEN DISABLED

MOD ANNOUNCEMENT FOR EUC AND LIT -- EVERYONE LOOK AT THIS: Thread prefixes, mergers, and the new boards

Discussion in 'Expanded Universe' started by Havac, Apr 16, 2012.

1. FireJade Jedi Knight

So "tags" are like a 1-level folder system, not like GMail tags? o_O (I thought that was the whole point...)
  2. Kais Jai Sheelal Jedi Grand Master

I can disagree with with Coop opinion of how light hearted Lit is. Is it uncomfortable for you that I view Lit in this way?

A few years ago when we had the lengthy discussion in Comms about the state of the Lit forum where many of exact same issues were discussed. Its not like its new or that it should be a surprise to anyone that some people feel this way.

I spend a lot of time in Lit. I think its generally not unfriendly, as I've already stated. I like it there , but that doesn't I have to pretend that I think its an incredibly lighthearted corner of the forums.

Its no different really from Lacwac CT, where there are differing veiws on topics that get blown up and sometimes angry. How many times have I seen you get angry or scold another poster in Lacwac? Same difference.

Where it differs from the EUC is that we basically never see that behavior there. The odd time we do its because people have mistaken what we do in the EUC with Lit.

Its not a Lit vs EUC discussion, both are excellent in their own way. Its a discussion about if the two forums can effectively share the same space. I do feel like people, in case they are not familiar with both forums, should hear the pros and cons and what other people think - even if it makes some people a little bit uncomfortable.

I'm sure that Coop's views are completely geunine, but again that doesn't mean everyone shares them.
  3. Havac Moderator of Your Temporary Lit Substitute

I'm really doubting that paging through the hundreds of pages of inactive EUC or Lit threads, just to take a look, is an actual thing people do. Even if it is, three and a quarter pages of A&A threads are unlikely to get in the way of the thirteen hundred pages of old Lit threads after the merge.

Look, you don't need to throw every single contrived argument you can against the merge. I'm not against a merge, but I'm not particularly for it, either, and I'm trying to seriously consider all the implications and tradeoffs of a merge. So when you start throwing out nonsensical ticky-tack objections-for-their-own-sake about how eighty-five threads are going to get in the way of a combined thirty-five-thousand-plus threads, it doesn't help anybody. It gets in the way of the people who are trying to seriously consider the issue and muddles up the argument. And it's not helping you, because I can't possibly take that kind of objection seriously, and the more you do it, the harder it becomes to take anything you say seriously. If you're going to be throwing out every single possible minuscule inconvenience or slightest conceivable problem just to get it out there, how do I know which of the things you're pointing out is an actual concern worth considering? They're lost in the fluff. I'd like to concentrate on the serious objections you do have and give you every shot to convince me of them, but I can't do that when I have to keep pointing out that A&A is not even remotely significant as an addition to the merge to make sure that other people aren't being distracted and misled.

The fact of the matter is that the bulk of inactive threads have no impact on the supposed "clutter" of the active threads at the top of the forum. The inactive threads are all buried, and it doesn't particularly matter whether the archive of buried threads from seven years ago that no one ever looks at goes back two hundred pages or two thousand. Especially not with a functioning search ability, watched threads, and sorting by tag.

As for the discussion in general, I want to lay out some of what I've observed. So far, all the EUC threads that anyone's actually posting in are regularly on the first page or the top half of the second page. It's not getting drowned out so far, and the fact that it's running at half-speed with a lot of big threads not present, while Lit is running at near-full speed with recent releases out, makes me think that we can safely discount the idea that EUC is going to be drowned out by Lit. If anything, we may have to worry about a larger number of active EUC threads drowning out Lit when we return to the main boards, but I'm not sure about that.

While there might be an adjustment period as people settle in to the distinctions between EUC and Lit, that's what moderators and rule threads are for, and I'm not convinced that a month of adjustment is a sufficient reason to scuttle a move that could otherwise be beneficial. If someone disrupts a fan club, tell a mod. Or just tell them, "Hey, the sign says FAN CLUB," and then tell a mod in the unlikely event they don't learn from that.

As to whether it would be beneficial, the idea is that every forum needs a steady supply of fresh blood or it's going to die out. We've seen steady declining traffic, and this is a continual concern for the mods and the JC community at large. In the "Community" board here on the temp forums, several other boards have been merged together, and the results so far have been very positive as people took a look in threads and forums they never would have otherwise bothered to check. The fact of the matter is that people do get entrenched and don't want to venture outside their comfort zones because it's work to try to acclimate themselves to other forums. A merge is a way to counteract that inertia, and it's looking so far like it's really making a difference in Community. It hasn't made as much of a difference here yet, but we are seeing some cross-pollination and I think that's promising.
    Rew likes this.
  4. Grand Admiral Jello Community and Expanded Universe mod-type person

There have been a lot of spats in EUC in the past, actually. One of the founding principles of the EU Senate was to be a neutral community floor where arguments and such could be arbitrated without needing to get mods involved. But you can be assured that there's been a loooooooooooot of drama in EUC, and some of it fairly recent. I don't think any forum on this board is free of heated arguments, and I don't think that it's an essential consequence of a merge.
    Bardan Jusik, s65horsey and Addie like this.
  5. Kais Jai Sheelal Jedi Grand Master

As I've said I'll accept whatever you all decide is the best course. We just can't have discussion without, well, discussion.

In my experience the EUC has been completely different than Lit, but I certainly don't post in the entire EUC. If Jello says he's breaking up fights there all the time I have no reason to doubt him.
  6. Grand Admiral Jello Community and Expanded Universe mod-type person

Ah, no. Things are definitely a bit more mellow this past year. But problems do sometimes happen.
  7. FireJade Jedi Knight

Oh, I see... prefixes, not tags. Immensely different, those two. :p
  8. ceiranharmony Jedi Master

QUESTION for MODS and those involved in the Move:

I know these tempforums will be deleted once the move is complete. But can single topics be saved and transfered, like the most important ones, f.e. Book discussions like Warfare guide, or New New Character guide? if you can merge lit and EUC, it should be not hard to merge temp boards with old ones and just clear out double topcis that exist in both, redirecting one into the other, right?

given the duration of the move, some good stuff is in here I'd not see getting lost. and screencaps can't save everything sadly ;)
  9. Havac Moderator of Your Temporary Lit Substitute

We're actually likely now to close the temp boards down for posting, but keep them archived on the new server. The reason we can't just merge them is that all the accounts here are different, so we'd have duplicates of everyone's accounts, and there would be a whole giant process just to migrate and merge this data. The boards should stay available for viewing, though.
  10. ceiranharmony Jedi Master

ah I get the problem. thx for explaining. but keeping them in archives would be sweet! please do that!
  11. JackG Jedi Grand Master

It'll be like the Jedi Archives without all the death and destruction of Knightfall :)
    Mazzic likes this.
  12. Erich Jedi Knight

I don't care whether or not these boards will be merged with the official one. Granted, it would be nice to have some of the threads, like the book discussion threads, transferred back to the official boards. I just want the official boards to be back and running again.
  13. Trip Jedi Master

awwww cannot get your ship out
    TheRedBlade and CooperTFN like this.
  14. Kais Jai Sheelal Jedi Grand Master

15. Trip Jedi Master

16. CooperTFN Jedi Grand Master

You two have quite the slow-motion tête-à-tête going on here.
  17. ceiranharmony Jedi Master

lately some thread prefixed seemd randomly chosen by posters... too many lit topics marked as EUC or even some unmarked ones OI noticed. maybe it is better if mods choose prefixes after checking new topics out, or alter prefix if needed and poster is unsure what to use?
  18. AwesomeSauce Jedi Master

Okay can we have some sort of big paragraph maybe in the first post of this topic saying what is a Lit thread and what is an EUC thread and good examples of each?

Because I want to start a topic but have no idea if it's Lit or EUC. Basically I'm an EUC/Lit n00b and I can't tell the difference, apart from the social/fan club threads definatly being EUC.
  19. Rogue_Follower Lit Moderator

That's close. They're somewhat blurred here on the temp boards, but here's my mental distinction between the two:
    • Lit is for general EU topics, such as threads discussing books, comics, in-universe events, continuity, questions about the EU, etc.
    • EUC is more for fanclubs, games, discussions of real world fandom, and other community oriented topics. But all still EU related, or else it'd be in the JCC, SWC, or somewhere else.
    Also, you are allowed to start a topic that is untagged. If that's the case, a mod will eventually come along and tag it appropriately. Though sometimes we're not even sure.[face_shhh]
  20. Todd the Jedi Jedi Grand Master

So what's gonna happen to the Authors and Artists forum? Most of the VIPs seem to have been scared off don't post too often, so it almost seems redundant for it to be it's own thing. Maybe it could be merged with lit, or just gotten rid of for good?