1. The NEW boards are up and running!
    Boards.TheForce.net

POSTING ON THIS BOARD HAS BEEN DISABLED

Lit Clone Wars Era novels to skip?

Discussion in 'Expanded Universe' started by Greenblade, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Todd the Jedi Jedi Grand Master

This.
  2. instantdeath Jedi Grand Master

Cloak of Deception is kind of in the same vein as Rogue Planet, in that it gets very mixed reception. Sure, you'll get some neutrals, but it seems to be mostly love-it-or-hate-it.

Even as someone who's generally only moderately excited by political intrigue, I found that Luceno handled that section of that novel very well. In addition, it makes The Phantom Menace much, much more watchable due to the background it provides. Finally, it gets the most points for having one of the best, if not the best, depiction of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon's relationship. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Jude Watson
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. JackG Jedi Grand Master

Cloak of Deception is one of Luceno's finest works; tight, well-written, great continuity and very enjoyable. Like Gorefiend said it really contextualises the decay of the Galactic Senate, so I consider it essential reading for the Clone Wars.
    Did I mention James Luceno wrote it?
    RC-1991 and Zeta1127 like this.
  4. anakinfansince1983 Shelf of Shame "Winner"

I didn't dislike the book and I agree as far as Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, especially since Jude Watson couldn't write anyone in character if her life depended on it. But I read it after Plagueis and found much of the political intrigue to be similar.
  5. Jedi Ben Jedi Grand Master

That's the likely problem, if Cloak of Deception is arguably the start of the Luceno-verse, Darth Plagueis is the end.
  6. JackG Jedi Grand Master

Most read CoD first, due to it being released years earlier. DP really summarises it and supplements it so reading CoD second must render lots of the novel less-than previously engaging. For example the political machinations are neatly referenced and explained in DP so reading what you've essentially been summarised before in expansion may not be that exciting.
  7. blackmyron Jedi Master

Agreed. At the Essential panel, Pablo indicated that DP would come after anyways, since the action continues beyond COD - so if you were reading them in order, you'd get the proper effect.
  8. instantdeath Jedi Grand Master

I definitely think reading COD first helped. One of these days I'm going to read Plagueis and insert all of the comics, the Luceno short stories, Cloak of Deception and Shadow Hunter in their appropriate places.
  9. RC-1991 Jedi Master

That's a good idea. Sort of like how A.C. Crispin told the reader where to read the old Han Solo novels during Rebel Dawn?