1. The NEW boards are up and running!
    Boards.TheForce.net

POSTING ON THIS BOARD HAS BEEN DISABLED

Lit Diversity in SW Lit - Coop's Temporary Whining Thread

Discussion in 'Expanded Universe' started by CooperTFN, Apr 8, 2012.

1. The Forgotten Jedi Jedi Master

That's unfortunate. It's a really good webcomic series with lots of diversity and excellent chracterization + character evolution, something which seems to be lacking from many series nowadays. You don't need to be a D&D fan to get into it (what little I know about D&D comes from it), and I highly recommend reading it. It would take awhile to get caught up- there are currently 848 comics (some of which have about 3 normal OoTS comics worth of panels in them) in the main series, and the main plot doesn't really become clear until around 272.
  2. CooperTFN Jedi Grand Master

Ben - I just mean someone who's intended to stand in for what the audience's experience is assumed to be. As big a character as Han is in ANH, for example, he's not the surrogate, because everything we're seeing is old hat for him. Luke, by contrast, is learning about a lot of this alongside us. Corran in I, Jedi (and even in X-Wing, to be honest) is a great EU example.

There isn't always an obvious surrogate, which is why I was leaning toward "POV character" at first - the point being, a character whose actions and perspective are meant to be easily understandable.
  3. Jedi Ben Jedi Grand Master

4. Skaddix Jedi Knight

Yes, Del Rey does tend to peddle in excuses for why they don't do anything about it. U can visualize them anyway is pointless seeing as in America they will always be made white because that is the default lens.

Sisko is a good example also had Dr. Bashir who was Arab and had superhuman enhancements.
    OOTS is pretty good, example heck it even has plenty of Asian Characters.
  5. Jedi Ben Jedi Grand Master

Yeah, Bashir has an interesting arc across the show and I found his interactions with Garak intriguing and fun.
  6. Jeff_Ferguson Jedi Master

I'm not holding my breath. Every single new character in Conviction was either "fair-haired" or "fair-skinned." It was as if Allston forgot that other visually descriptive adjectives existed.

Interestingly enough, that came from Rowling herself. The first book had some additional info about Dean's backstory that ended up on the cutting room floor, so Rowling told the film's producers that Dean was supposed to be a black Londoner.

Not much else to add right now. I largely agree with Coop, Smurf, et al. Still holding out for Omas to be something other than another generic white dude.
  7. jedifreac Jedi Master

This is going to make me sound very jaded but I'm not that invested in Cal Omas in part because he is dead, his story is already over, and making him a character of color would kind of come as too little, too late. As a character Cal Omas didn't exist as a reader surrogate or as a POV, he was more of a plot device or obstacle for other characters to face and his death was designed purely to serve the plot and Ben's character development. Making Cal Omas say, black or Latino isn't going to do very much in the same sense...it would be like retroactively making Ponc Gavrisom (yeah, I know) gay and then pointing to that as a sign of Del Rey's diversity.

That being said, if Cal Omas is going to show up in say, Star Wars: Invasion it'd be cool if someone tipped of Tom Taylor and Colin Wilson about our thoughts about Omas.

My question is, how, as a group of fans on this forum, do we make sure our voices our heard and get the word out to DelRey to let them know that we are dissatisfied with this easily addressed area of Star Wars EU?
  8. Skaddix Jedi Knight

Not Sure, I don't think DelRey Cares
  9. CooperTFN Jedi Grand Master

Three more months until SDCC, Smurf. If we get to the new woman now while she's still starting out, maybe it'll register as a bigger deal to her than it did to Shelly.
  10. Skaddix Jedi Knight

new management then a slight chance
  11. CooperTFN Jedi Grand Master

12. ESg Jedi Grand Master

Nick Rostu doesn't count? I mean he has been stated to be dark skinned.

Also Kar Vastor as well
  13. Jeff_Ferguson Jedi Master

How 'bout Wynn Dorvan?
  14. jedifreac Jedi Master

Nick Rostu is cool, but I don't know if you could say he is given the same status in the Star Wars EU as Mace Windu has. He also sells out Jax Pavan to Darth Vader (pulling a "Lando"?)

Kar Vastor? You mean the frightening jungle guy who has lost his ability to speak verbally and communicates instead in animalistic grunts and growls? Very relatable and not at all shaky-bridge-stereotype territory. This guy is supposed to be DelRey's equivalent of Lando or Jariah Syn?

Just because there are secondary characters who are people of color doesn't address the primary concern which is a dearth of main characters of color. I have my fingers crossed for Scoundrels or Mercy Kill. It would be nice to see characters of color on a protagonist team. It would sure beat a retroactive picture in some essential guide of some second or third string character.

I guess to me, DelRey retconning in someone as a person of color is kind of like the "actually, Dumbledore was gay all along" revelation. Not exactly meaningful representation.
  15. CooperTFN Jedi Grand Master

And regarding Nick and Kar, taking one of the films' only black characters and deciding that he's therefore from the Black People Planet isn't really the most progressive move.
  16. ESg Jedi Grand Master

Kar Vastor? You mean the frightening jungle guy who has lost his ability to speak verbally and communicates instead in animalistic grunts and growls? Very relatable and not at all shaky-bridge-stereotype territory. This guy is supposed to be DelRey's equivalent of Lando or Jariah Syn?

J .[/quote]
    I wasn't saying that exactly, I apologize if I was
  17. Kais Jai Sheelal Jedi Grand Master

On this devils advocate thing you mention I'd just like to point out that two of the main characters of LOTF are of mixed heritage, them being Fett & Mirta Gev. So there are three books right there that have main characters who at the very least are not pue white folks.:p

But yeah I do agree that there is a lack of said diversity in the novels of this era.
  18. Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Master

The Korunnai weren't only black - there were very definitely whites among them in Shatterpoint. I mean, one of them is even nicknamed Chalk because of her skin color. I think she was supposed to be from Rostu's clan, too.
  19. Skaddix Jedi Knight

So basically we need that standard applied to the white planets?
    God darn it saying whites planets and black planets annoys my bio knowledge.
  20. Havac Moderator of Your Temporary Lit Substitute

Chalk was black; she just had relatively light skin.