1. The NEW boards are up and running!
    Boards.TheForce.net

POSTING ON THIS BOARD HAS BEEN DISABLED

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- Enjoying time in dry dock!

Discussion in 'Expanded Universe' started by AdmiralNick22, Mar 21, 2012.

1. darthscott3457 Jedi Knight

Thanks a lot, at least its a book I have, guess i haven't looked at it in a while
  2. Tzizvvt78 Jedi Master

Yep, but I think there's a case to be made for the Nebulon-Dreadnaught monstrosity in the back. :p

Here's my take on them.
  3. AdmiralNick22 Jedi Grand Master

You and I agree almost completely! Good call on that one Corellian design being very similar to the one at the end of TESB.

--Adm. Nick
  4. AdmiralNick22 Jedi Grand Master

So, after all these years, I finally picked up the original Star Wars sourcebook from WEG and the Movie Trilogy Sourcebook. While the vast majority of the info in those guides is used in later sources, it was rather fun to see alot of the great concept art that was used in the original sourcebook. I was pleasantly suprised to see that the guide's entry on Mon Cal cruisers had pictures of both Home One and the Liberty, as well as the ROTJ concept art that was used as the basis of the MC90 battle cruiser. Not only that, but there is a concept art pic of the Medical Frigate that makes the Neb-B frigates looks much more robust and tough. It would be a great design to be used for a Galactic Alliance frigate in the LOTF or FOTJ era. Nebulon-C series?

--Adm. Nick
  5. Tzizvvt78 Jedi Master

Those images are hilarious. I'd like to think the MC90 was based on a non-Liberty/Home One type cruiser model. Maybe a subtype of MC80A. It has so many now with the X-wing, WEG sourcebooks and ROTJ appearances.
  6. Skywalker_T-67 Jedi Grand Master

Do the WEG books have the original VSD concept art? (or rather, the original ISD art that became the Vic-Star)
  7. AdmiralNick22 Jedi Grand Master

Yes, the sourcebook has that famour MacQuarrie ISD concept that ended up being used for the VicStar.

@Tzizvvt78

This image?

[IMG]

To my knowledge, it has never been used for anything other than the MC90. It is similar to the MC80A model we see in TORJ, but the engine arrangement is different and the cruiser is sleeker and more streamlined.

To this day, I think it is one of the best Mon Cal cruiser designs. Tied with the MC80B, but it is a close tie!

--Adm. Nick
  8. Skywalker_T-67 Jedi Grand Master

Yeah, that is a good design right there. Say what you will about Mon Cal's...they build some darn good ships.
    AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  9. Tzizvvt78 Jedi Master

Yep, that's the one. The MC80A type already have so many variations, what's one more? Maybe it's another named type?
  10. AdmiralNick22 Jedi Grand Master

Ah, I see. Your idea is that since it appears in the SWSB under the MC80 section that we could potentially retcon the vessel into another MC80 variant? I suppose so, but other than that obscure inclusion in the SWSB, the design was forgotten until Kennedy decided to use it as the basis of the MC90 battle cruiser.

--Adm. Nick
  11. blackmyron Jedi Master

The SWSB also mentioned the Tectors before the Tectors even existed...
  12. AdmiralNick22 Jedi Grand Master

I must of missed that part. What did it say? Is it in the ISD section?

--Adm. Nick
  13. blackmyron Jedi Master

Yep. It mentions about ISDs without hangar bays, IIRC - a bit of convergent evolution there.
  14. AdmiralNick22 Jedi Grand Master

It also mentioned that the Mon Cals were designing brand new cruisers, which would take time, so they focused primarily on converting older vessels into cruiser. It also said that the Mon Cals were known, prior to the MC80, for their smaller and medium sized ships.

--Adm. Nick
  15. blackmyron Jedi Master

That's what I love about the WEG stuff - all kinds of little details here and there.

I'm going through the AJs right now, and found out that there was apparently a VicStar at the Battle of Hoth...
  16. COMPNOR Jedi Master

The final paragraph from the Imperial Star Destroyer entry page 34:

"Naturally, most Imperials carry TIE fighters to deal with small opponents; this fiscal year's Imperial budget provides funds to retrofit the reminder with TIE flight decks. However, in light of the disaster off Yavin, funding may be diverted to more vital purposes."
  17. Gorefiend Jedi Grand Master

Allways figured they used that to explain why so few TIEs where launched in ANH, ESB and the Marvel comics ;)
  18. Tzizvvt78 Jedi Master

That just means the TIE racks and loading conveyors, not hangars in general. This is more of a variant Imperator than a Tector or Procursator model, imho. Something the EGTW accounts for. :)

I wonder if the MC90-prototype could get a profile, like a testbed for the MC90. There's also the short MacQuarrie cruisers that were used in the ROTJ comic and several other places.
  19. AdmiralNick22 Jedi Grand Master

I always assumed that the Defiance, which was confirmed to be the first of the MC90 line, was the testbed prototype. It is Ackbar's flagship for only a short while, until he switched to the Galactic Voyager. Then again, other sources have Ackbar using Home One until his retirement in 25 ABY.

As for the MacQuarrie cruisers, while I am not a fan of that design, they do appear in the ROTJ comic (as you note) and briefly in Empire's End, as well as I think one other appearance in a Marvel SW comic set at Fondor. My gut says to make these cruisers the various small to mid-sized warships that the Mon Cals produced. We already have the MC30 frigates and MC40 light cruisers, so maybe make them ships in the 600-900 meter range and make them medium cruisers. It is easy enough to explain why they are "off screen" so much by saying that the majority of the smaller cruisers remained in Mon Cal Space protecting the region, while nearly all MC80 cruisers were donated and/or built for the Rebel Fleet.

--Adm. Nick
  20. Tzizvvt78 Jedi Master

We know the MC30 series has at least three models. The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, IIRC, has them build frigates and corvettes. Maybe these are heavy corvettes, like the Empire's Vigil-class? The Calamari had raiders, too, IIRC, these could make up a majority. My ideal retcon would have the remaining Lucrehulks and a handful of Rebellion Bulwark Mk.IIIs leading defense fleets in Calamari Space, the Chandrilia sphere of influence, the Corellian rebel forces of Bel Iblis, the rebel Houses of Tapani, Tion groups etc.
    I loved the concentration of rebellious worlds around Calamari space, just think they could be added to. ;)
    These ships could make up a lot of their forces.

That's not including surviving pockets of Separatists, though.