1. The NEW boards are up and running!
    Boards.TheForce.net

POSTING ON THIS BOARD HAS BEEN DISABLED

MOD future FanForce board structure

Discussion in 'FanForce' started by Obi Anne, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Miana Kenobi Pretty Pony Princess FanForce Admin

In essence, I understand what they mean. Latin America is the only other regional area that you'll find more than one language, and even then it's only 2; Spanish and Portuguese.

One thing I'm also thinking is similar to how we have the CR board up at the top of this forum, each region will still get it's giant forum and the more active FanForces can get their own subforum as well. There is also no absolute "this is how things will be forever" also; we can test out which groups want to be one large regional forum and which need their own board. If one group starts overpowering the regional board, we can easily split them off into their own subforum, and vice versa.
    Grimby likes this.
  2. halibut Administrator

It seems to me that France (like Germany) have discussed amongst themselves and wish to have their own sub-forum. I have no problem with this. It's a shame for everyone else as they will not get involved with France's chapters. I speak French, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go to another forum just to see what the French speakers are talking about. But if I saw it in the main Europe forum, then I may well join in.

But France do raise some very valid points, and it seems to me that they've made a considered decision to request a sub-forum and I will support them on that. I'd prefer them to at least try the general Europe board first, with tags. But it's their choice.
    Grimby likes this.
  3. halibut Administrator

Just to clarify, I meant that France have discussed the issue amongst themselves in the same way that Germany has. But they reached different conclusions :)
  4. Miana Kenobi Pretty Pony Princess FanForce Admin

An idea, possibly, is for the groups who wish to have their own sub-forum to keep a social thread in the main forum. I understand those are hard to maintain when you have your own sub-forum, but it's something that might work as well as a way to chat with the rest of Europe. :)
    Grimby likes this.
  5. BPStoyle Jedi Master

I will say that a big draw that got me into finding and joining my FanForce chapter years ago was coming across it while looking for a Star Wars fan club in my city. Not my region of the country, but my specific city. I wanted a group that I could interact with online and then locally offline. That's a big loss when I think of how this might be structured, if I came across FanForce and found a forum just for the Northeast part of the US. I probably would not have stuck with FanForce in general if I came across that, since it lacked the local touch.

I get the "not wanting to seem unfriendly to newbies" mentality that gives pause to splitting each FanForce chapter into a sub-forum, as it was before, but I can't agree with it, because that same sub-dividing is what attracted me here in the first place. And with chapters being drawn the way they are (primarily to each city or small region), it seems to me that to change the forum structure would have to come to some kind of change to the FanForce structure in general.

What I'm most curious about is, what the overarching goal is with this proposed change. Right now I see two possibilities:

1 - Merging the areas means less work and less clutter for areas that aren't terribly active, or not active at all. A valid and practical goal. If there's not enough people or activity in a city, I can see the questioning of downsizing the infrastructure to make it more manageable.

2 - Trying to bring FanForce closer together as an online community. Pretty straightforward since we are talking about the group's online forum structure.

To be perfectly selfish for a moment, I have to think about my local group just as much (if not more) than FF overall. Sorry if that comes off as rude; it's not meant to be. It's just how I see it. For the last nine years FanForce, to me, has been "The North Ridge" with connections to the larger organization "FanForce" and my involvement has been more or less local only. Like BobaChris has mentioned above, the North Ridge is blessed to still be active. We use the boards for a lot of things that are pretty local to Buffalo only, like event planning and sharing news from our members. Most of those are things that most of the other chapters wouldn't necessarily be interested in. If North Ridge were shared with other Northeast chapters, we would probably bury most of the other cities' threads pretty quickly. If I were a new user from Watertown (purely for example, I honestly don't remember if Watertown had a FF Chapter previously), and I came on the boards and saw "BUFFALO" "BUFFALO" "BUFFALO" for half the page and then maybe one or two "WATERTOWN" threads, I'd probably lose interest pretty quickly thinking not much was happening in my area (even if that weren't the case, and Watertown were booming with FF activity but it only kept to one or two threads). That's not to say we want to be petty and have our own boards for the sake of having our own boards, or not to talk or partake in activities with other chapters. Quite the opposite. We love our group and I know I'd want every other FF chapter to be just as big and loud and fun as ours, so those fans can have their own amazing experiences, just like we have.

If there is at least the OPTION to have sub-forums for the truly more active chapters, perhaps there's a way to split the difference. Have the FanForce regional boards, and then when a certain goal is reached (a predetermined number of a chapter's tagged threads within a certain amount of time, or a certain number of members from one area activated, etc.), open up a sub-forum for that chapter and move their threads into it. This would keep the team making these boards from having to necessarily make EVERY chapter's sub-forum right away, and potentially keeping the infrastructure pretty light for the areas that don't need a sub-forum for every city. Plus the bigger chapters don't end up stealing screen real estate away from the less active chapters, that, with the right amount of TLC, could become pretty active once more.
    Grimby likes this.
  6. Jedi Dajuan Administerer: Protector of the Triforce

No decisions have been made in either direction yet. Also this is something that many of the RSAs/GSAs would like to experiment with, not one person in particular. So please leave the borderline personal jabs out of this.

We've said over and over that if we try this and it doesn't work out for a chapter we'll make sure that chapter has their own forum again. Period. I promise. Regional or mixed forums won't work for every chapter, we know that going in. Some chapters may have their own forums from the start. There are a lot of chapters who could benefit from being merged with chapters tags. I know my FanForce and a few other chapters in the midwest could really use something like this. I'm working on setting up tags buttons like the JCC has so people can get a feel for what things could be like. It won't be exactly the same because we only have regional tags and not chapter tags, but the idea will be the same.
    Grimby likes this.
  7. Addie Retiring RSA 5 days to go!

I agree that in some areas it simply wont work, the language barriers play a big part. But for Oceania, I think it will be a good thing as we all speak English and we are all so separated that putting us with other like mind people will give us a better connection to each other and I suspect more traffic due to more interaction. I would like to give it all a go. ;)
  8. Miana Kenobi Pretty Pony Princess FanForce Admin

Buffalo's too big and obnoxious, so of course we're planning to give you guys your own forum. ;) But seriously, like Dajuan said, we're just discussing it right now and trying to weigh all the pros and cons first. :)
  9. redlord CR France

That's what I meant.
    (And I don't know what you have forecasted fro them because I don't know to what FF area they belong (Asian, Pacific, or else)
  10. redlord CR France

We used to call this kind of topic Embassy and I like it.
  11. Lordban Jedi Knight

I do remember a British Embassy.
    In Europe? Oh well :p

I like the idea some regional boards with local sub-boards, and some without, tailored on regional needs.
    72Princess and Addie like this.
  12. PattyB0123 Latin America RSA

No too much diference for the Latino America boards.
    Still I remember it was a little territorial board problem between two regional areas from Chile.
    But I think no more. The CR from one region might not able to come back.
  13. Join the Schwarz Community Manager

I'm guessing we Spaniards are going to have to ask for asylum in the Latin American boards, as we're no longer an official chapter.

Right? :p
  14. Darth Lars Jedi Padawan

I think that we should start with pretty much the structure that was on the old board, but have forums and subforums (and not just categories and categories of forums).
    When the new board has been up for a while, then, regional managers and CRs could work on merging forums and tagging topics according to the wishes of the members within each region, after each chapter has been able to discuss it for a while on the new board.

It is much easier to see the structure and discuss about it when the new board is up. I am also convinced that there are many members who don't bother registering on the temp board; members whose voices we will not hear (read) until the new board is up. Having a Grand New Structure when those members come back is just asking for trouble.
  15. Jedi Dajuan Administerer: Protector of the Triforce

I would put you guys in Europe based on location. But, I could see having a re-direct link in Europe to the Latin boards if you would want that.

Some kind people (Miana and Ramza) made link buttons for us here. If we merge some areas we would have links like that on top of each forum. Click them and you will see only threads with that prefix. Prefixes will be different obviously, but give it a shot to get a feel of how things would be.
  16. Valiowk Jedi Master

Miana, I beg to respectfully disagree. Do keep in mind that only Western encodings worked on the old IGN boards; this essentially meant that there wasn't any incentive for people from countries that required non-Western speaking encodings to request for their own board - it would most likely make more sense for them to use their own board/message list which allowed them to converse in their own language. I feel that the ability to post in pretty much all languages now that we're using Unicode may be an incentive for more people to request their own area.
    Grimby likes this.
  17. Miana Kenobi Pretty Pony Princess FanForce Admin

I was agreeing with the Europeans who preferred to keep their own board instead of one giant board because of the language difference. My point was merely highlighting that pretty much all the other regions are only 1 or 2 language areas, so Europe (and Asia, if we get more people to come back from there) are completely different cases because of the multilingual aspect. :)
  18. Skiara Sports loving Mod dressed in yellow/green

The same goes for me with Spanish. Maybe I would even try to learn more about this wonderful language again.

Exactly. :)

Quote, just to say it once more. :)

So, mainly we just need to know, which chapters like to try it and which don't want / can't use it. Shall we create a list of FF who like to try it and who not? Maybe that helps to make progress in this discussion. :)
  19. Jaden Jedi Knight

I am not a fan of this idea. I think it would be better if certain areas were allowed to create a forum for their fanforce and if they did not do well, then the forum could be erased. I have a small fanforce but we are trying to grow. Ours is Nashville, Tennessee, USA. This would be disaterous for us since we are only 5 or 6 members strong. Sorry, I just think it is not good.
  20. Bobachris12 NE USA RSA

I'd like to chime in, but it appears that things are starting to be repeated over and over already.

I do agree that we could potentially create problems by announcing a new structure after the "rebuild" of the forums.

I am strongly in favor of sub forums. If people want to visit other cities, they could still pop in and say hello. Perhaps a passport thread could be a sticky in each sub forum to use as a catch all for visitors. If someone wants to plan for a physical visit with that group, they can use any other thread to get information and communicate.
    72Princess likes this.