1. The NEW boards are up and running!
    Boards.TheForce.net

POSTING ON THIS BOARD HAS BEEN DISABLED

MOD Lit + EUC Merger Poll

Discussion in 'Expanded Universe' started by Rogue_Follower, Apr 20, 2012.

?

Should Lit and EUC be merged into one forum?

Merge 48 vote(s) 40.0%
Don't merge 72 vote(s) 60.0%
  1. Rogue_Follower Lit Moderator

This thread is intended to get quantifiable feedback on whether Lit and EUC users support or reject the idea of merging the two forums on the new boards.

The argument for a merger is that it would increase traffic and bring the TFN EU fanbase (i.e. you guys) closer together. The new board software lets us assign prefixes to threads, clearly marking them as Lit topics or EUC topics. See the tagging discussion for more details and this very forum for an example of how it would work in practice. EDIT: To be clear, the temp board's "Expanded Universe" forum is exactly what the merged Lit+EUC forum would be like.

This vote is not binding.

However, it will influence the discussion in Mod Squad about whether to merge. No decision has yet been made. We'd like to get as much feedback as possible before that happens. So please vote and post your reasoning below. Questions are also welcome.
  2. FiveThreeOhNine Jedi Grand Master

Don't merge, but keep the tabs. I like having the options.

I'm far more interested in Lit, but if I don't click the tab I can still see if anything interesting pops up in EUC.

At the same time, if I feel like EUC is just spamming up the first page or if Lit is just on fire atm, I can click the tab and get EUC out of the way for a while.

Then once things slow down, I can go back to looking at both at the same time.

I like it the way it is right now.
  3. Bardan Jusik EUC 1st Mando Chancellor

I think my position is well known from the other thread. ;)
    CPL_Macja likes this.
  4. Grand Admiral Jello Community and Expanded Universe mod-type person

FYI (and this is important), the way it looks right now is what it would look like after a merge.
  5. FiveThreeOhNine Jedi Grand Master

I guess I voted wrong.:oops:

I like it the way it is now, but I thought the poll was referring to a future merge that would just completely throw out the tab system and make Lit and EUC one integrated forum with no options.

If this is the merge, then count me in.

But I suppose you cannot change my vote.
  6. Bardan Jusik EUC 1st Mando Chancellor

I do have a quick question that I don't think has been asked yet. Between Lit and the EUC just how many individual threads are we talking about merging here?
  7. JackG Jedi Grand Master

Don't merge, I feel that EUC clogs up the page when all I want to see is Lit and I'm sure many EUC prevalent users feel the same about Lit. The tab system is fine but I'd still like separate forums.
    Addie and Bardan Jusik like this.
  8. dp4m Jedi Grand Master

Can we vote to eliminate EUC and force everyone into JCC so everyone can be social? >.>
  9. Havac Moderator of Your Temporary Lit Substitute

It depends. We can take the old forums, tag everything, and then throw them all into one forum. Or if we wanted to streamline it, we could merge the past couple months of active threads into one forum, lock the old forums as an archive, and move any old thread left there into the new forum upon request. Since we don't have issues with duplicated threads, we could probably merge all the threads from each forum into one forum.
  10. TypoCelchu Jedi Master

Though I do frequently visit both forums, or perhaps because I do, I say they stay separate. Each forum has their own feel and customs, and I don't think either would work well when pushed into one another. And let's be honest, it's good for Lit to be able to gently guide newer EU readers into the EUC where they can get a good feel for what they do and don't like. Otherwise we're going to have a thousand locked threads about how people don't like how Anakin got killed, and so on. This is a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
  11. CooperTFN Jedi Grand Master

Never used EUC, don't plan to start, but if I had to choose, I'd say merge. I see a lot of casual visitors not bothering to filter, and the new blood would be nice.
    TheRedBlade likes this.
  12. TrakNar Jedi Grand Master

It would be best if the forums remained separate, as each one is unlike the other and would just be a cluttered mess if they were merged. Basically, my opinion on merging these forums is the same as it is with merging the Fanfic forums: Don't. Leave them separate.

I'm set in my ways, I don't take to change very well. :p
  13. Kais Jai Sheelal Jedi Grand Master

My prefered choice is known already as well. I'm hoping for the don't merge option to be adopted.
  14. Addie Retiring RSA 5 days to go!

At first I was ok with the merge, but seeing how the Lit threads easily drown the EUC threads, I think being separate would be good.
  15. MasterSkywalker86 Jedi Master

I feel they should be separate as well, I hear wonderful things about EUC but it's not my scene.
  16. instantdeath Jedi Grand Master

My opinion:

If I had to choose, I'd say merge.
  17. kataja Jedi Master

Since you ask for feedback I'd say, don't merge. Tags could do the job - but they're less clear, and what's not clear tends to change over time. We have two forums now that satisfy different needs - let's keep the diversity. Besides, I don't think anyone refains from visiting a thread of interest just because it's another forum - so the argument for mergings seems pretty lame to me.
    Bardan Jusik likes this.
  18. Mitth_Fisto Jedi Grand Master

Don't worry, I clicked the wrong button on accident so our mistakes cancel each other out :p

I have to agree with Kataja on this one, the reasoning is weak and either way you have to click a button or two, only the old way newbloods are not stratching their head about our self-imposed abreviations. Personally when I first saw EUC my thought due to my past was 'Enemy Unit Combatants', slightly off the mark ;)
  19. Atin Jedi Knight

I only joined a few days ago, and I barely understand the difference. I think I have it figured out, but the way I usually post, I really don't care if the thread is LIT or EUC. If the topic is interesting, I'll post in it, and so far (while my posts have been pretty much just in LIT threads, with the Mandalorian/Republic Commando thread being the exception) I'm not having any trouble. That said, if I have to choose, I guess I'd vote for merging.
  20. Bardan Jusik EUC 1st Mando Chancellor

Atin. As a new user you give us a unique perspective. I am curious, have you stayed in just the EUC/Lit forum or have you also ventured into the other forums and posted there as well?