1. The NEW boards are up and running!
    Boards.TheForce.net

POSTING ON THIS BOARD HAS BEEN DISABLED

SWC Obi-Wan hang out

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by Valairy_Scot, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Valairy_Scot Jedi Grand Master

obip105.jpg Others (TCW :(:mad:) may hang our Obi-Wan out to dry, but this is a place for his fans to hang out! Check in all - you don't have to think our fav Jedi is the greatest ever, you just have to appreciate his finer qualities of which there are many.
  2. Obi-Ewan Jedi Padawan

As you can probably tell from my handle, I'm a big Obi-Wan fan, moreso after seeing Ewan McGregor take the part.

Looking at the history of the script for the first film, I'm rather of the opinion that, until Episodes II and III came around, Obi-Wan got screwed out of a role. Luke Skywalker began as more of an Obi-Wan type role, before becoming a Jedi apprentice instead. (That draft would have focused more on a Jedi Master than the apprentice.) Obi-Wan was meant to guide him through his journey, but then he got killed off, and only showed as a ghost for a handful of scenes afterwards. Also, it's not until he's dead that we discover the truth about Darth Vader, or meet characters like Yoda and Palpatine.

The prequels would have been his moment to shine--but then in Episode I he was once again changed from a Jedi Master to an apprentice, overshadowed by Qui-Gon Jinn. Finally in Episodes II and III he got to be both a mentor to a young Jedi apprentice, and a leading role and action hero in his own right. We also see him right in the midst of those story elements that, other than the Clone War, we only learned of in Empire and Jedi: Anakin's transformation into Vader, Yoda's involvement, and of course Palpatine's machinations.

I was more impressed by McGregor's performance than by Anakin Skywalker, for two reasons: first, it's a role that really does cross over between trilogies, moreso than Anakin, IMHO, and is an essential part of bridging the two generations, regardless of which trilogy you start with. He's one of the first familiar faces you see, and having him around helps to remind a viewer that, despite the different styles of the trilogies, this character remains constant. Also, Ewan McGregor got to play the part all three times instead of just two. He also becomes more and more like Alec Guinness as time goes on. Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen have a superficial resemblance to Mark Hamill, but are really just playing his father. Natalie Portman kind of resembles Carrie Fisher, but is only playing her mother. Ewan McGregor makes the part his own, even though he's playing Alec Guinness's part.
    nawiboTEMP likes this.
  3. H_J Force Ghost

I'm quite annoyed by how TCW S4 treated my favourite Jedi.

He'd better behead Maul.
    Valairy_Scot likes this.
  4. True_Zandalorian Jedi Grand Master

I love how James Arnold Taylor manages to capture Ewan McGregor's phoned in performance perfectly. Or maybe he's just lazy?
    FiveThreeOhNine likes this.
  5. Ashla Jedi Knight

I second this.
    Valairy_Scot likes this.
  6. Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Master

I agree he'd better.

Hopefully in TCW S5 we won't have this scenario: Obi-Wan is getting a serious beating from Maul and it seems as though all hope is lost, but then Anakin and Ahsoka aka the "Jedi Master Padawan Sparkly Glitter Extraordinaire Team" swoops in, kills Maul, and saves Obi-Wan. I honestly hope that does not happen.

Hopefully Obi-Wan will get to kill Maul and hopefully he'll team up with Ventress. Anyways here's to Obi-Wan. Let's just hope he gets better treatment in Season 5.
  7. H_J Force Ghost

To Obi-Wan!

Ruby Bliels for everyone!
  8. Valairy_Scot Jedi Grand Master

I third that, but phoned in performance? Sure, Ewan stumbled a spot or two but he was the best actor of the prequels (yes, Ian was great but he went way ovah-the-top when Darth'ing Anakin). This, from someone who was not that familiar with Ewan until TPM, and he had hardly enough screen time to make a lasting impression then.

As for Hayden - he glowers and scowls well. I'm sure he's a nice guy (see the behind the scenes footage) but in the films, especially AoTC, he's- well - I'm no Anakin/Vader fan, let's say. Whether directed that way or not, it was too one-dimensional (well done one dimensional, yes) one step away from the darkside.

What I regret most about the post-Prequel era is the retconning of Obi-Wan from a noble, good Jedi who made some mistakes like any human might and would, into a cold, heartless man who single-handedly drove the sweet, very human, likeable Anakin into the arms of the Sith.

Talk about revisionist history! Bah.
  9. True_Zandalorian Jedi Grand Master

Phoned in in the sense that he plays the character as rather laid back and world weary. He's got the skills to prove it and he doesn't feel the need to impress everyone. So he's all laid back and calm all the time.
    Valairy_Scot likes this.
  10. Darth Corvx Jedi Master

I like Qui-Gon more.
  11. Valairy_Scot Jedi Grand Master

Sorry for the double-posting...I so agree. What is it with the "new" depiction - he was absent practically the first half of this season, then was disguised for almost the entire Hardeen arc, got beat down, a##-thumped numerous times, half of his early season appearances were arm-crossing-giving orders only.

But - I loved him in Trespass (season 1) and in LAPR - that scene where he struggled to his feet for his last stand...oh, yeah.
  12. nawiboTEMP Jedi Master

Hey I didn't know you started it already. :) Here's what were the last posts on the previous thread: The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v. 3.0:

Hopefully this is edited enough to be readable:
    StarWarrior92
    Date Posted: 3/11 2:35pm Subject: The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0 - Date Edited: 3/11 2:36pm (1 edits total) Edited By: StarWarrior92

Maul coming back doesn't diminish Obi-Wan's awesomeness to me.

And besides, I think that Ventress, Grievous, or Dooku (not another Jedi) will eventually kill Maul.

Jedi_Kenobi32

Date Posted: 3/12 8:07am Subject: The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0
    I have to agree with Veloz and Naw Ibo that it probably will be Ventress who will team up with Obi-Wan. It would be so nice to see them working together.

Ventress: You are so adorable my darling General Kenobi.

Obi-Wan: No time for sweet talk. Battling half a Sith Lord that I thought was dead and his expy brother here.

Ventress:

Valairy_Scot
    Date Posted: 3/12 6:13pm Subject: The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0

Anyone want to roll up their sleeves and give a reality check over in the Prequel thread?

It's - guess - all Obi-Wan's fault again. He failed Anakin.

Cover my back, will you (but be nice - I'm starting to froth at the mouth and that tends to get one ignored, so if you're nicer, you might make some headway).

roguegirl
    Date Posted: 3/15 4:45am Subject: The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0

I'm having visions of you frothing in the mouth,Val,and it isn't pretty. well,Obiwan has been time and again warning Anakin about Palpatine.and that sneaky Sith has designs on Anakin eversince,Obiwan is just a barrier in his way.so,Palps must have tried different ways to get rid of Obiwan,but the Force loves Obi so much. So sneaky Palps decided to turn Anakin against Obiwan,in effect destroying the most beautiful friendship in the annals of literature.in short,it's Palpatine's fault Anakin fell.not Obiwan…Palpatine!
    someone's bound to fill in your blanks,and I hope it will be Asajj Ventress,c
    oming to Obiwan's rescue.

Valairy_Scot
    Date Posted: 3/15 10:35am Subject: The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0

I'm not the only one standing in the midst of the carnage - er, that is to say, there are others who are being quite reasonable. I was being forced to pure "defense" or in other words to an extreme to combat an extreme - but the truth lies in between the extremes, truthfully.

Oh, dear, all that frothing has turned my mind to mush..

Anyone looking forward to Obi-Wan vs. Maul in tomorrow's episode? Maul taunts Obi-Wan with Qui-Gon's death. We're supposed to end with a cliff-hanger but I have no idea who or what is hanging from what cliff.

Just hope its far better than last week's Brothers. Boy, that was bad on so many levels.

StarWarrior92
    Date Posted: 3/15 10:39am Subject: The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0

I'm really looking forward to Obi-Wan's "Duel of the Fates" Round II tomorrow.

I saw that vid where Maul was taunting Obi about Qui-Gon. Dang, Maul! You're a meanie!

iLoveAnakin7
    Date Posted: 3/15 3:22pm Subject: The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0
    I'm only watching tomorrow's show because Obi-Wan is in it. Still miffed about the retcon of Maul's death though. Some things I have to separate and pretend never happened in the actual SW universe, that do in fact happen on this show, just to remain sane. LOL

StarWarrior92
    Date Posted: 3/16 6:17pm Subject: The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0
    The CW finale was awesome, despite the fact that Obi took quite a beating at first.

I loved his lines: "I like your legs! They make you look taller", and "When I cut you in half, I should've aimed for your head!"

Valairy_Scot
    Date Posted: 3/16 7:03pm Subject: The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0

^^ Spoilers! No spoiling! It's not on for another hour here (8pm PDT).

JediMaster_1977
    Date Posted: 3/16 7:47pm Subject: The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0 - Date Edited: 3/16 7:50pm (1 edits total)
    Edited By: JediMaster_1977
    StarWarrior92 posted:

The CW finale was awesome, despite the fact that Obi took quite a beating at first.
    I loved his lines: "I like your legs! They make you look taller", and "When I cut you in half, I should've aimed for your head!"

There much better

StarWarrior92
    Date Posted: 3/16 7:56pm Subject: The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0
    Ah crap. I should've known better. Sorry!

Valairy_Scot
    Date Posted: 3/16 8:33pm Subject: The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0

Too bad Obi-Wan only did half a job on Maul. I see he was outfought once again, though 2 on 1 when each is fueled by Talzin jet fuel makes it a bit more palatable.

roguegirl
    Date Posted: 3/17 9:41pm Subject: The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0

Gosh,I envy you guys! you'll get to watch another epic battle.I emailed Cartoon Network about TCW4,asking them when will it be shown here in Manila.their reply wasn't very reassuring(but at least they replied).I guess I have to wait for the dvd in a few months time.I shall be patient,knowing the outcome will be worth waiting.

Valairy_Scot
    Date Posted: 3/17 10:17pm Subject: The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0

Well, one must say the second half of the season had a lot of Obi-Wan in it - although in his arc he was disguised as someone else practically the whole time and he's had his a$$ handed to him practically every time he's engaged someone.

It's not been the best of seasons for him, and it's just added to the "Obi-Wan is nothing special" and worse, "less than" average trash talk.

roguegirl
    Date Posted: 3/18 11:27pm Subject: The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0

Obiwan is the greatest of all the Jedi,the Chosen One said so. If Palpatine didn't butt Obiwan and Anakin would be brothers till death.

Veloz
    Date Posted: 3/19 1:15pm Subject: The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0

I enjoyed the finale even if Obi-Wan did end up taking a beating *again*. It seems season 4's main theme was let's-beat-up-Kenobi-as-much-as-we-can , but let's hope that isnt the case next season.

I loved Obi's funny lines while dueling Maul, not to mention towards Ventress . I'm quite intrigued by where things will go next season, especially regarding Ventress. I wonder if Obi will take her to the jedi Temple with him... can u imagine the reactions!? . I know Anakin would most likely flip.

roguegirl
    Date Posted: 3/19 6:40pm Subject: The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0

If there's anyone who can straighten out Ventress,it's Obiwan.by the way,I found a cute action figure of Asajj Ventress when I was looking for one of Obiwan.couldn't find one of Obiwan,so I got Ventress.even if I did find one of Obi,I would still get Ventress. s the she has gotten to be a favorite character of mine since the first microseries.she looks a lot better in this present series though.

Darth_Gamek
    Date Posted: 3/19 6:44pm Subject: The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0

Veloz posted:
    I enjoyed the finale even if Obi-Wan did end up taking a beating *again*. It seems season 4's main theme was let's-beat-up-Kenobi-as-much-as-we-can , but let's hope that isnt the case next season.

At least they didn't beat us over the head (lol) with it like in the Slaves of the Republic arc.

Watto
    Date Posted: 3/19 11:43pm Subject: The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0

This was just establishing Maul as a threat so that Obi can kick his butt in Season 5!

Obi-sajj FTW!

Jedi_Kenobi32
    Date Posted: 3/20 8:06am Subject: The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0

Well Revenge certainly turned out better than I thought. My only criticism is the whole "How is Maul still alive" was not really explained enough outside the whole "his hatred kept him alive" deal.

And this may sound like a Captain Obvious statement but man Maul was flat out cruel in that episode.

I did feel bad for Obi-Wan this whole season as reasons already explained though.

Yup Revenge turned out better than I thought. I'll admit that I was a little apprehensive about this episode because Brothers actually turned out to be my least favorite episode of Season 4.

Watto
    Date Posted: 3/20 11:27pm Subject: The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0

Starwars.com posted:
    Asajj has long enjoyed a peculiar relationship with Obi-Wan Kenobi. Though as a Jedi Knight, he is her sworn enemy, the two engage in banter as they cross lightsaber blades. There is an unusual attraction that connects the two combatants, but their encounters rarely last long enough for further exploration.

Valairy_Scot
    Date Posted: 12:04am Subject: The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0

Last post of mine before "The Move"? #6262 in the Obi-thread!

Brothers was pretty bad, but less horrible than my first impression. But I am not happy with the dumbing down of the Jedi in general and Obi-Wan in particular.

He's a JEDI MASTER fighting what was a broken, bisected man who'd gone insane, had uncoordinated spider legs, no training and poor nutrition - and the Side gave him strength enough to whup our boy.

I'm also a bit sad that it seems the Obsession arc in the comics is non-canon now. I loved how Obi-Wan kept trying to redeem Ventress even after she tortured him.

Now they merely flirt - which I do enjoy, by the way, but I liked the theme of Obi-Wan trying to pull her back from the dark.

naw ibo
    Date Posted: 3:22am Subject: The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0 - Date Edited: 3:27am (1 edits total)
    Edited By: naw ibo
    Watto posted:
    This was just establishing Maul as a threat so that Obi can kick his butt in Season 5!

Obi-sajj FTW!

I hope so. There is nothing I hate worse then Obi-Wan getting the cr@p kicked out of him in Round 1 and then letting someone else get "the win" in Round 2.

ETA so the move is starting huh? I have been double and triple checking my email address for MONTHS now just because I'm paranoid, I hope it all goes well.
  13. Togruta Jedi Grand Master

I admit I'm not a big Obi-Wan fan, and I'm especially not a fan of him in TCW, but..

When it comes to animated series, micro-series Kenobi ftw!
    Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  14. nawiboTEMP Jedi Master

LOL Oh man I remember going over that stuff years ago(you may even have been around then) IMO Obi-Wan got so ripped off when it came to his portrayal in a lot of ways - there are so many things when you look through the old scripts and drafts that started out as being "for Obi-Wan"(or for the Obi-Wan equivalent) and then by the films they got given to everyone else. It's really annoying. I swear to god they would look at their ideas for Obi-Wan and say "Hey this is really cool...let's give it someone else". Argh!

To be honest I think they have(and this includes the writers of the The Clone Wars as well) a real problem with getting enamored with what should be supporting or minor characters and just shoving aside established characters, character development and previous history be damned. IMO Qui-Gon never should have had such an overwhelming role, no other character in the prequels has such an overwhelming role in a single film as he does in TPM.

I think what should have happened is you have Obi-Wan, who could still have been a padawan, who seems to be butting heads with his master, Qui-Gon Jinn over picking up strays and things like that(essentially no change at all in what we have during the first part of the film on Naboo and escaping). Then Qui-Gon sends Obi-Wan into town to get the new power source for the Naboo ship where lo and behold Obi-Wan ends up picking up a stray of his own--it still could have shown Obi-Wan's original strait-laced attitude and then shown how despite himself, his master rubbed off on him a little bit(that doesn't mean he's a Qui-Gon clone, but you always end up picking up something, often something you find annoying:), from your elders :D ). Personally I don't think it would have really changed anything, other than allowing us to have a real relationship portrayed between Obi-Wan and Anakin and given Obi-Wan real character development in that first film. Qui-Gon could still have been the "mission leader", they could still have fought Maul together and Qui-Gon could still have gotten killed as he did. Frankly being taken from his mother, starting on such a strange different life under such dramatic circumstances was MORE than enough to explain Anakin's issues, present and future, it's not like he needed to have Qui-Gon's death be a "big thing" too--esp when it really shouldn't have been, he knew Qui-Gon for all of 3 days.

Ewan did a great job with what was really an underwritten role overall.(And on a seperate note: How is that Ewan just seems to have gotten even better looking? He looks fantastic for 41 years old--and to think he was like 25 when he started Star Wars)
  15. Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Master

Yeah I agree too. I mean I liked episodes like Deception (disguised Obi-Wan) and Revenge (Obi-Wan is beat up) but I concur that it was quite annoying to see him get tossed around like a rag-doll in the second half of Season 4
    Valairy_Scot likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983 Shelf of Shame "Winner"

I love me some Obi-Wan. PT, TCW, and OT.

That hasn't always been true. I went through a bit of an anti-Obi phase in between TPM and AOTC, and TPM!Obi-Wan is still my least favorite depiction of the character. Thankfully his humor goes from really lame ("pathetic life form") to friggin' awesome ("good job") in the 10-year period between films.

Sadly, the prequel spoilers era was also an era of great fandom divide--you were either an Anakin fan or an Obi-Wan fan, but could not be both. And my user name is no exaggeration--I've loved Anakin Skywalker since I was 11 years old and first saw the Vader mask come off. Unfortunately it did take me a couple of years to ask the obvious question--"why the hell shouldn't I be able to love both characters?"

A lot posted here so far. My $.02:

The Kenny-on-SouthPark reviving of Maul pisses me off to no end. For cripes sake, let Obi-Wan be victorious over the Sith who killed his Master. It's not like his life doesn't suck enough over the next 30 years, could we grant him this small victory? Please?

Obi-Wan trying to pull Ventress back from the dark: I haven't read the comics, but I really like it. Since she isn't fully Sith, there is no reason for Obi-Wan to assume that she's completely gone.

Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen have a superficial resemblance to Mark Hamill, but are really just playing his father. Natalie Portman kind of resembles Carrie Fisher, but is only playing her mother.

Actually, as I saw it, Carrie Fisher resembles Hayden Christensen in facial structure, and ditto with Mark Hamill and Natalie Portman. I also thought that Leia resembled Anakin and Luke resembled Padme in personality. They have a few characteristics of the same-sex parent--Leia's obvious affinity for politics, and Luke's tendency to whine--but otherwise I thought they most resembled the opposite-sex parent. And Luke's resemblance to Padme helped bring Anakin back from the Dark.

As far as Anakin and Leia, there are some points where I felt their lines could be interchanged and still be recognizable. "Governor Tarkin. You're shorter than I expected." "General Grievous. I smelled your foul stench when I came on board."

As for Hayden - he glowers and scowls well. I'm sure he's a nice guy (see the behind the scenes footage) but in the films, especially AoTC, he's- well - I'm no Anakin/Vader fan, let's say. Whether directed that way or not, it was too one-dimensional (well done one dimensional, yes) one step away from the darkside.

The little I know of Hayden himself, there is little to no resemblance to Anakin Skywalker. He does specialize in portraying angsty temperamental characters though. But in real life, I think Ewan is more Anakin-esque than Hayden is. (*ducks*) One example that comes to mind is his going bat**** on a paparazzi who was trying to take his daughter's picture. Not that I blame Ewan for doing that, not one iota, but it's not something I can see Obi-Wan doing.

What I regret most about the post-Prequel era is the retconning of Obi-Wan from a noble, good Jedi who made some mistakes like any human might and would, into a cold, heartless man who single-handedly drove the sweet, very human, likeable Anakin into the arms of the Sith.

Gah. Who is getting Obi-Wan mixed up with Palpatine?

The biggest beef I have with Obi-Wan in the PT, at least regarding his relationship with Anakin, is that once he defied the Council to train Anakin, he seemed unable or unwilling to advocate for Anakin any further with them. Someone needed to be able to think outside the box where Anakin was concerned; the Council was unwilling to do that and as far as Obi-Wan, given his generally conformist personality and his training, I'm not sure he was able.

But at the same time, I think Anakin in ROTJ remembered Obi-Wan's training as he was returning to the Light (and if the novelization is to be taken into account, I know he did), and in both AOTC and ROTS, I believe that if Anakin had been more honest with Obi-Wan, the galaxy might have been a different place. Between the two of them I see a child who feels rejected by an overly strict parent, a parent who loves the child but does not know how to show it (and thinks that a strict upbringing is the best way), and both parent and child not communicating and feeling (justifiably) misunderstood. It's sad.
  17. Valairy_Scot Jedi Grand Master

Hey, my friend Anakinfan is here! :)

The actors are under no obligation to resemble their characters; in fact, Ewan (used to) drink like a fish, swear like a *, and freely show off his lightsaber! (He's still a nice guy, don't get me wrong, but nothing like Obi-Wan in some respects - other than genuinely nice from what I gather.)

Well said, well said.

I still think Palpatine playing the non-custodial parent talking down the custodial parent and treating the kid to all kinds of sweet (words) bears the majority of the responsibility.
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. Darth Corvx Jedi Master

Whoa, Darth Maul is Mysterion! OMG, Darth Maul vs. Cthulu! I'm going to go post that in the "What do you want to see on Clone Wars thread?"
  19. obimom Jedi Master

Yay! I made it!! And I"m glad to see an Obi forum on here. Val, those pics of Ewan/Obi are Gorgeous!! Yum..!!

I've said for a long time that Obi-Wan is the thread that binds the six episodes together...he is a central character to every major event that happens in the first three movies, and is there (albeit as a ghost through most of it) to see the outcome of his years of diligent devotion to the light.

And yes, Ewan used to drink, smoke, show himself, etc. but the things I love about him is that he had the sense to stop, to think of his family and what would do to them if he continued his wild ways, and yes, he is considered one of the nicest men in Hollywood. He's genuinely warm and friendly to people, no matter who they are.

When I read "Long Way Down" I read the part where he had a motorcycle accident in London while trying to get home. As I recall, a car hit him and sent him stumbling, or something, but the car was a bit damaged. He jumped up and went to the driver to make sure he was all right. He waited till help came and I don't remember the details now...but the jist is he was concerned for the people around him and it was only later that he realized his leg was hurting and he could hardly stand on it. He sat on a door stoop and checked and a man offered to drive him home. He declined, saying he thought he could make it on his bike. He slowly drove his bike home, told Eve that he needed to go to the hospital. She took him (if I remember right) and he had a broken leg!

My point is he was first concerned with others before himself, which was a very Obi-Wan like characteristic.

Obi-Wan is definitely my very, very favorite character...and he wasn't in TPM enough. It's too bad, maybe the movie would have been better if he had..;)
  20. nawiboTEMP Jedi Master

What does LAPR stand for? I don't know the episode titles well enough to recognize the acronyms. :)

I agree. I think Obi-Wan did a fine job but kids can often be let astray by the "parent" who lets them do whatever the heck they want and flatters them when they don't deserve the flattery. Anakin himself chose to be a Jedi(along with his mother), he had to learn to be one and it's hard and it's selfless and I'm quite sure Anakin got plenty of little "allowances" simply based on the fact that he started much later than everyone else. Obi-Wan wasn't that strict, in fact he was less strict with Anakin than Qui-Gon was with him from what I saw.