1. The NEW boards are up and running!
    Boards.TheForce.net

POSTING ON THIS BOARD HAS BEEN DISABLED

Clone Wars Replacing Parts of the PT with CW Micro-Series/(Pre-S5) TCW

Discussion in 'Television' started by Dark Lord Tarkas, Sep 2, 2012.

Moderators: Seerow, Sith Star Slayer
  1. Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master

Hopefully you can get the idea of this thread from the title. This is a thought experiment in which you eliminate as much as or as little from the PT as you like and replace all that time with stuff from the two Clone Wars television series. That's pretty much it.

I don't have my own written out yet but I'm hoping getting the conversation going will give me some ideas. I'm honestly not sure about Ep. I. I'm really tempted to keep a fan edit version of it that has a half hour cut out, so I might be able to add the right episode or two at the end of, but that would be kind of awkward. Maybe it would be the very beginning of the Genndy series with Anakin and Obi-Wan talking to the Jedi Council and their first adventure, maybe with some other stuff from early on in the Genndy series too depending on how much time all that stuff is.

Ep. II is definitely getting taken out, completely. This leaves me having to edit all of TCW down into the length of one movie (and I also wanted to leave room at the end because I love how the Genndy series go right into Ep. III).

This is why I'm tempted to take Ep. I out altogether even though I actually like a lot of it. I don't think it would be that awkward for the crawl to explain the start of the Clone Wars (Ep. II takes an entire film to not really explain it anyway), have Ep. I start out with a big chunk of the beginning of the Genndy series, skip to the ceremony where Anakin becomes a Jedi, and from there probably The Hidden Enemy first (since it's a prequel to the TCW film and still one of the best episodes IMO), as little time from the TCW film as possible just to show where Ahsoka came from, and there'd still be room for more TCW after that. Then Ep. II would start out with TCW and end with Genndy.

I'm probably going to leave all of Ep. III intact, although I haven't watched any fan edits of that yet so I might go with a fan edit of it instead at some point.

2. GGrievous Force Ghost

Prequel Mace Windu needs to be the real Mace Windu that we saw in the micro series and Shatterpoint. [face_love]
  3. Kyle Denny Jedi Master

You'd be missing a lot of aspects that AOTC introduced. AOTC may not be the best but it is highly critical for ROTS.

You should try just to make it into a 'interquel' between AOTC and ROTS. Also, I'm not sure I like the idea of the two Clone Wars shows being intermixed, I mean I like them both - but one is CGI and one is cartoon animated - so the differences will be pretty noticeable. Just a little constructive criticism.
  4. Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master

That's cool, you can feel free to approach it that way if you want. I don't think there's anything about Ep. II that isn't covered in a good TCW episode, and I wouldn't be bothered by the animation style changing. But this is why I didn't try to make any rules: you pick what you want to keep or get rid of from the PT and you pick what goes in its place. If you want to count it as an extra chapter instead of replacing one of the films, go for it. To me it's creating a new fantasy-PT, but Star Wars was originally going to have 12 films according to GL, so have at it.
  5. QFET Jedi Grand Master

ROTS works well if you see it as starting out like an authentic (albeit exceptional) TCW episode. AOTC is the start of the Clone Wars story and TPM is just a prologue if you see the Clone Wars as the fundamental central/background conflict of the PT like the Galactic Civil War is of the OT.

Perhaps the Anakin/Padme relationship would have had more appeal had it been presented in a serialised format. Obviously, there are no CWMS/TCW episodes that show its full development from the start, but much like how some have argued that ROTS is the only film you absolutely need to lead into the original Star Wars, you could argue that the cold opening provided by CWMS and TCW doesn't prevent them from being standalone lead-ins to ROTS without TPM and AOTC to lay the groundwork.

If you want to edit TCW and the CWMS into a single movie, cut the stuff that doesn't relate directly to the story of Anakin (eg. Windu on Dantooine, the Mon Calamari invasion and the Kashyyyk invasion from the CWMS, a whole load of filler and sideshow content from TCW). Muunilist and Yavin obviously stay. Mortis stays and Mandalore probably gets cut. The characterisation of Obi-Wan in TPM and AOTC is important to the Mandalore subplot. Maul also gets cut for obvious reasons. Depending on how the clone/Order 66 subplot plays out and how important the developments in that arc are to the overall PT narrative, Umbara might or might not get cut.
    QFET,
  6. Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master

I'm probably leaning towards scrapping both and Ep. I and Ep. II, I think the micro series starting out as it does makes a fine intro. In the original Star Wars film you start out in the middle of the action so it's no different. Regarding Mortis I was going to have Overlords somewhere in my mix but not the other two. I still only have a vague idea of what I want to do and am really curious how others would pursue the same goal according to their own tastes. Perhaps I overestimated general distaste for the PT.
  7. Force Smuggler Jedi Grand Master

If they made the original CW series into an interquel movie that would be great.
  8. QFET Jedi Grand Master

Personally, I would do something similar to the circum-ROTS novels that were released in 2005. Despite one being a novelisation of a Lucas film script and the others being genuine EU books, they all formed a very neat "Dark Lord Trilogy" that is highly regarded to this day.

In the context of the Clone Wars motion picture content, I'd start out with AOTC and finish with ROTS, editing the CWMS chapters and TCW episodes in chronological order. AOTC is the introduction and ROTS could almost be a TCW episode at the start. TPM could be a standalone prologue that is optional. The title of the sub-series would be "The Rise of the Empire" or "Tales of the Clone Wars".
    QFET,
  9. Paparazzo Jedi Master

Destroy Jar Jar Binks from existence.
  10. Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master

@QFET That is a cool idea. Also, as I was getting at somewhere above, when GL first realized he was going to get to make sequels he said there were going to be 12 films total. There are also notes of GL's from later where he describes the PT as being a prologue, a Clone Wars trilogy, and an epilogue, so there's still another route you could go if you want to keep the whole PT. Going by that, you could still have Ep. I and Ep. II and have multiple CW/TCW films.

I am a fan of Ep. I, maybe I could count it as Ep. 0 or something. But I'm really eager to get Ep. II out of the picture. I'd watch Ep. 0, two films' worth of CW/TCW material, Ep. III and the OT. Maybe three films' worth to fit GL's prologue/Clone Wars trilogy/epilogue idea, but there'd have to be enough material for it to be worth it, the whole point is to use only top-notch material, preferably with something of an OT vibe.

I think replacing Ep. II completely with some of the best//most-OT-ish CW and TCW material would radically alter the vibe of the entire PT in a much better direction. But that's just me. I really want Ep. II out of there.
Moderators: Seerow, Sith Star Slayer