1. The NEW boards are up and running!
    Boards.TheForce.net

POSTING ON THIS BOARD HAS BEEN DISABLED

EUC S.O.S. Save Our Skywalker (Temp Edition)

Discussion in 'Expanded Universe' started by MasterSkywalker86, Mar 21, 2012.

1. ChildofWinds Jedi Master

WIERDGREENMAN: +1. The galaxy is huge. Everything does NOT have to tie in to Skywalker.

In THIS thread it does! ;)

The Mods don't like us to get off topic. That's one of the reasons they gave us for not letting us have the LIT tag, so we try to tie our posts to Luke in some way.

But I do think it would be a good time to develop Luke's son , Ben, into his own, independent character. Even after all of these years, I don't think we know all that much about Luke's son. Ben never got a Young Jedi Knight series or a Junior Jedi knight series as Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin did.

While the galaxy may be huge, it helps to have engaging, known characters to follow into that galaxy.
  2. Jedi Ben Jedi Grand Master

Or, it could be, you know, that the Force techniques Shayoto used to prolong his life were simply lost over the millennia!

I like the idea that Luke dies, aged about 140, of natural causes - the order is doing fine, the galaxy will be protected against anything that comes along, the government actually works too. In the years following Kol becomes one of the most respected Jedi, backing the Vong's efforts at restitution and shortly thereafter, through no fault of the Vong or Jedi, things go straight to hell.

As to Ben? Oh he was probably killed off by Denning in his latest tragic opus! Got to go for the tragic, dark angle don't you know? Alternatively and far better is this idea - light side time dilation! It's known Hett went to Korriban and was taught the dark side by Xoxaan, years went by and he was unaware of this. Now, say Luke and Ben find hints of a very secret, very clandestine Force sect wielding power unknown. The precedent of Jacen means these sects cannot be left alone, they need to be contacted - Ben's best suited to the task. He bids farewell to his father and son and locates them. What he finds intrigues him beyond measure and he realises he must stay to understand more of this, he sends a message to Kol and Luke and then starts studying. Unbeknown to him, decades go by, when Ben Skywalker returns to the galaxy, Kol and Luke are Force ghosts and it is recovering from the Krayt war. Using the abilities he has acquired, Ben catalyses the recovery, speeding it up greatly, which includes the Jedi recovery too.
  3. MasterSkywalker86 Jedi Master

Dedgelovesredge

On both of these characters, I don't mind Allana,but I'm not ready to see her as a big force. Ben really needs his own novel because I really like him, but if he is a big character in this I will be very happy. Allana needs friends and therapy. When she gets that plus grows up she can be up in the action. I'm not so fond of a nine year old shooting and killing sith. As a young girl, I feel weird about it and I start to wonder when my life will begin.

right, Allana needs her time as a normal youth and considering she already shot and kill people at an extremely young age hopefully they decide to hold back from her playing hero for a bit. I hope they don't age her so quickly like they did with Ben. Ben could use some character developement and perhaps the Jaina trilogy will see to it. At least with Jaina I feel she finally came to her own, although it wasn't til FOTJ that I found her interesting.

Child

I completely agree! I don't know why everything involving Luke has to be Rebellion era now, when Luke knows almost nothing about the Force. It's actually annoying that they're doing this! I wonder why they decided to just put out stories about Luke when he isn't a Jedi????

well I'm not as annoyed as you are since we hardly get to see Luke in other eras now a days. Still I feel like Rebellion era already has enough stories explaining how certain events transpire especially with the comic series Rebellion. CoO I enjoy it more for the story than Luke's portrayal but he has a few shining moments in the book. Hopefully this means though they're willing to do more books in different eras.

Dewback Rancher

Here we have a non-Skywalker Human Jedi who lived almost as long as Yoda.

we aren't entirely sure about Luke's death, but perhaps Luke didn't want to wait 800 years to see Mara back again.

WierdGreenman

Everything does NOT have to tie in to Skywalker.

But this being a trilogy focused on the grand daughter of Anakin Skywalker and niece to Luke Skywalker, I sincerely doubt it's too much to ask for Ben to be supporting character in the story.
  4. ChildofWinds Jedi Master

Jedi Ben: I like the idea that Luke dies, aged about 140, of natural causes - the order is doing fine, the galaxy will be protected against anything that comes along, the government actually works too.

This would be fine with me too. 140 sounds like a nice, round number of years for Luke. Sadly though, I doubt Luke will be allowed to survive that long. :( I also doubt that Del Rey will ever give us a period of relative peace where everything is going well and the Jedi have the opportunity to become well-established. Del Rey always seems to want to "one-up" its stories so the next story always seems to involve tougher villains and more difficult problems.

Look at the small amount of information that we have about Crucible. There is already the suggestion that there is something even worse for Luke and Company to face than even Abeloth and the Lost Sith. :mad:

It doesn't help that, thanks to the existence of Legacy looming in the near future, the window of opportunity for many years of peace is rather short. AND because of Del Rey's constant push for more horrible things happening to the characters and galaxy with each succeeding story, , that window keeps narrowing. :(:mad:

As to Ben? Oh he was probably killed off by Denning in his latest tragic opus! Got to go for the tragic, dark angle don't you know?

Sadly, you're probably right about this.

Now, say Luke and Ben find hints of a very secret, very clandestine Force sect wielding power unknown. The precedent of Jacen means these sects cannot be left alone, they need to be contacted - Ben's best suited to the task. He bids farewell to his father and son and locates them. What he finds intrigues him beyond measure and he realises he must stay to understand more of this, he sends a message to Kol and Luke and then starts studying. Unbeknown to him, decades go by, when Ben Skywalker returns to the galaxy, Kol and Luke are Force ghosts and it is recovering from the Krayt war. Using the abilities he has acquired, Ben catalyses the recovery, speeding it up greatly, which includes the Jedi recovery too.

Wow! That's a whole lot better, lighter, and more creative than anything I'm sure we're going to get from the "professionals". Too bad you can't write the story, JB!

MasterSkywalker86: well I'm not as annoyed as you are since we hardly get to see Luke in other eras now a days.

Well, that's true: we hardly DO get Luke in ANY era, so I suppose that I should be happy that we get anything at all with Luke. But why does EVERYTHING have to be Rebellion era??? We have Zahn writing Luke only in the Rebellion era now: the new comic book will include LUke in the Rebellion era; and now this single novel will again be Rebellion era. All of those stories can't involve Luke as a Jedi or even as a Force user. :mad:

And, as you said, the Rebellion era is already pretty full.

we aren't entirely sure about Luke's death, but perhaps Luke didn't want to wait 800 years to see Mara back again.

That's possible! He already wanted to join her in Apocalypse.

But this being a trilogy focused on the grand daughter of Anakin Skywalker and niece to Luke Skywalker, I sincerely doubt it's too much to ask for Ben to be supporting character in the story.

I agree! And, happily, according to a comment by dp4m, who apparently went to the Con, Ben will be featured in Sword of the Jedi.
  5. MasterSkywalker86 Jedi Master

Child

Well, that's true: we hardly DO get Luke in ANY era, so I suppose that I should be happy that we get anything at all with Luke. But why does EVERYTHING have to be Rebellion era???

seems to be the last book we got in NR era was Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindoir and that was about it. Also I dunno why the preference in the Rebellion era this late in the game. Dark Horse doesn't seem to mention any continuition of Invasion and nothing in particular is Luke related so that's a disappointment.

We have Zahn writing Luke only in the Rebellion era now: the new comic book will include LUke in the Rebellion era; and now this single novel will again be Rebellion era. All of those stories can't involve Luke as a Jedi or even as a Force user.

also that's lame now that Zahn is writing only Rebellion era books, Allegiance, CoO, and Scoundrels takes place before ANH. It seems to limit my interest in the EU when one of the top writers restricts himself to certain eras...like Luceno. While I enjoy CoO I would love for Zahn to do that Skywalker family book that he still is interested in doing.

That's possible! He already wanted to join her in Apocalypse.

yeah longetivity is overrated when the love of your life exists on another plane of existance.

I agree! And, happily, according to a comment by dp4m, who apparently went to the Con, Ben will be featured in Sword of the Jedi.

I figure as much, the trilogy should be a good time for character developement for the next gen. I might read it but only through the library
  6. lukemaraben Jedi Knight

^ I agree, Zahn needs to do a Skywalker family book. [face_praying]
  7. JediMatteus Jedi Master

That *has* been changed. As I said, I think this was mentioned in The Jedi Path. (And maybe Leia just assumed it was a dark side technique because it's likely that Luke learned it on Byss?)

it WAS a dark side technique. it should not have been changed. Luke called on Anger, and Fear to pull of the doppleganger technique, and it burned him out and he looked ike palpatine afterwards. Waht does Yoda say about anger and fear? now in FOTJ Luke called on love to gim him strength. He obiously learned his lesson here.
  8. MasterSkywalker86 Jedi Master

^the only time I heard where Luke used both anger, fear, and other emotions to fueled a illusion was in DN. The use of negative emotions cause Luke's skin to shriveled like Palpatine temporarily, as quoted in TJK. But that wasn't doppleganger that was two Fallanasi illusions one of the Jade Shadow and a cloak of the ship. The problem was the illusions were fueled by negative emotions.

as for doppleganger, it's a neutral ability. It doesn't have any attributes of attack like lighting, drain life, and choke so it would seem odd that it was originally intended as a DS ability. seems more for defense if anything as it's part of the family of Force cloak and fallanasi illusion.
  9. Iron_Lord Jedi Grand Master

Possibility- it's neutral- but was being "fuelled by negative emotions" in Dark Empire- hence Leia's reaction. If she can sense Luke "growing darker" then it would explain why she reacts that way.
  10. MasterSkywalker86 Jedi Master

that seems to be the case and perhaps the misintrepration of what Leia is actually seeing, although DE is vague on if Luke acted on any negative emotions himself considering Palps was currently already enthralling him as it was.
  11. Jedi Ben Jedi Grand Master

Doppelganger in DE was likely fuelled by deceit, albeit for good ends - getting Ha and Leia off of Byss with R2 and the codes to destroy the Devastators.
  12. MasterSkywalker86 Jedi Master

I would also add he was doing out of love for Han and Leia too since the point of it was to keep them safe.
  13. ChildofWinds Jedi Master

Masterskywalker86: seems to be the last book we got in NR era was Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindoir and that was about it.

I think you're right. And all we have with Luke between VotF and VP is SQ. :( I would really love to have more stories where Luke and Mara are married and go on missions together. I especially liked the sort of mystery adventure that they had i SQ. I'd love more of that kind of story.

Dark Horse doesn't seem to mention any continuition of Invasion and nothing in particular is Luke related so that's a disappointment.

The new Star Wars comic *is* supposed to include Luke and Leia during the Rebellion era, but again, it can't include Luke as a Jedi or doing any Force skills. :(

I would love for Zahn to do that Skywalker family book that he still is interested in doing.

I think ALL of us would love that! I even think that people who complain about Luke being in stories and wanting new characters, would liketo read that book.

yeah longetivity is overrated when the love of your life exists on another plane of existance.

Yes, I suppose so, but I do hope that Luke gets to live to age 140 that Ben was talking about yesterday.

lukemaraben: I agree, Zahn needs to do a Skywalker family book.

Definitely!!!!

JediMatteus: it WAS a dark side technique. it should not have been changed. Luke called on Anger, and Fear to pull of the doppleganger technique, and it burned him out and he looked ike palpatine afterwards.

I don't remember that happening in DE, JM. I don't think it was ever said how Luke accomplished the technique. He certainly didn't seem to be using anything dark. Are you thinking of Luke using anger and fear to do that fallanassi trick and hide the Jade Shadow in DN? In the comic book, Luke's appearance certainly didn't seem to change in DE, and we saw his image in the panels. If his face had changed, that would have been a dead giveaway for Leia and Han that something wasn't right. But Leia and Han were fooled by Luke's doppleganger and thought Luke was with them. He looked just like Luke is supposed to look.

And, of course, the reason Luke used the Doppleganger was to keep Han and Leia safe. He knew they wouldn't leave without him, so he pretended to go with them so they would get away from Byss and to safety.

But I do agree with you that Luke shouldn't have used anger and fear to fuel his Force powers in TJK. I still blame that on Denning. The Luke of TUF and the LUke of TJK seemed like two totally different people!

MasterSkywalker86: ^the only time I heard where Luke used both anger, fear, and other emotions to fueled a illusion was in DN. The use of negative emotions cause Luke's skin to shriveled like Palpatine temporarily, as quoted in TJK. But that wasn't doppleganger that was two Fallanasi illusions one of the Jade Shadow and a cloak of the ship. The problem was the illusions were fueled by negative emotions.

Yes, Luke, for some unknown reason, seemed to have taken stupid pills in TJK and that's where he used anger and fear to boost his power.

as for doppleganger, it's a neutral ability. It doesn't have any attributes of attack like lighting, drain life, and choke so it would seem odd that it was originally intended as a DS ability. seems more for defense if anything as it's part of the family of Force cloak and fallanasi illusion.

Yes, I completely agree. It actually seems like a rather cool ability, and it does seem a lot like a fallanassi illusion.

Jedi Ben : Doppelganger in DE was likely fuelled by deceit, albeit for good ends - getting Ha and Leia off of Byss with R2 and the codes to destroy the Devastators.

That's what I think too. And, as MasterSkywalker said, Luke did it to keep Han and Leia safe too.
  14. MasterSkywalker86 Jedi Master

Child

I think you're right. And all we have with Luke between VotF and VP is SQ. :( I would really love to have more stories where Luke and Mara are married and go on missions together. I especially liked the sort of mystery adventure that they had i SQ. I'd love more of that kind of story.

same here, when NJO took over I felt their relationship didn't get the proper treatment of developement as it could of in stand alone books. I know I sound like a broken record but it's the truth :p To have her died in LoTF basically killed off any more stories of them as a couple in the future which I could perhaps dealt with if we had more books on Luke and Mara. Their marriage was almost 20 years when in reality it felt like they just met. As Mindoir and SQ have proven you can still write great stories in an already completed era. I say go for it.

The new Star Wars comic *is* supposed to include Luke and Leia during the Rebellion era, but again, it can't include Luke as a Jedi or doing any Force skills. :(

see JB might be estatic about it but I don't feel the same way for the era, we are already getting more Rebellion material from Del-Rey too, why not add some variety and have him during his early years as a Knight or master or husband ?

I think ALL of us would love that! I even think that people who complain about Luke being in stories and wanting new characters, would liketo read that book.

yessuh.

Yes, I suppose so, but I do hope that Luke gets to live to age 140 that Ben was talking about yesterday.

sure I agree, but 800 is pushing it since we do know Luke wants to join back with his wife sooner than later.

Yes, Luke, for some unknown reason, seemed to have taken stupid pills in TJK and that's where he used anger and fear to boost his power.

you know perhaps in the next essential chronology book they can probably explained why he even decide to learn about the Vergere/Potentium philosophy at all. I can buy him experimenting other philosophies himself but to a degree,

Yes, I completely agree. It actually seems like a rather cool ability, and it does seem a lot like a fallanassi illusion.

he did it to Jacen in Inferno as well when Luke and his fleet left him. Jacen talk to Luke and it turned out he was just talking to himself.
  15. kataja Jedi Master

Hey - we can never have too much Luke!?!!![face_batting] And, ok, therre are other eras I'd like to see more of, but as long as it's Luke, I'm happy. As for limits, as long as he's in character, I don't care. I think farmboy and Rogues Luke is at least as great and interesting as Jedi Luke!

You know, Ben, that sounds absolutely awesome!

My thoughts exactly!!!
  16. Jedi Ben Jedi Grand Master

My enthusiasm has had a couple of large holes punched in it courtesy of the cancellation of Knight Errant and carboniting of Invasion! I do still think Wood is likely to bring some interesting insights without invalidating any other stories.
  17. MasterSkywalker86 Jedi Master

wonder why Dark Horse isn't continuing work on Invasion and Knight Errant
  18. Jedi Ben Jedi Grand Master

I think it goes something like this:

Tom Taylor has been occupied with the second Blood Ties and Darth Maul: Death Sentence stories and Wilson may well have taken on other work in the interim. But apparently Death Sentence might show an origin for Dray's madness, this inclines me to suspect there will be more Invasion.

Knight Errant I'm stumped by. Then again I was surprised to hear the Lost Tribe miniseries was going to be 1 series only. Then I read that JJM is doing more creator-owned work and the pieces clicked! I think DHC has lost JJM as a SW writer! If so, it'll be a big loss to the SW EU!
  19. MasterSkywalker86 Jedi Master

blasted Clone Wars not like they have a tv show or naything..
  20. Jedi Ben Jedi Grand Master

Oh, you're far from the only one cheesed off about it all...