1. The NEW boards are up and running!
    Boards.TheForce.net

POSTING ON THIS BOARD HAS BEEN DISABLED

NorthEast Star Wars Night - June 9

Discussion in 'FanForce' started by Bobachris12, May 18, 2012.

1. BPStoyle Jedi Master

All six of the lead-in videos are live!

The forums seem to cap media to five per post, so here is the first half:

2. BPStoyle Jedi Master

...Aaaaand the final three:

3. Mother_of_the_Twins Jedi Master

Thank you, Bryan!
  4. BPStoyle Jedi Master

My pleasure! Happy to be able to share them with the interwebs.

Now, to get some of that sweet sweet live show footage...
  5. quigonschuel Jedi Master

Next best thing to being there live...my son loved it BTW!!!
  6. Bobachris12 NE USA RSA

Still can't believe it is over for another year. The excitement is intense on the day of the event, then poof! ....back to reality.
  7. Mother_of_the_Twins Jedi Master

As the little dinosaur always said, "AGAIN!!"
  8. JDuffPhoto Jedi Knight

Oh, this isn't reality. This is fantasy. You wanted adventure? How 'bout this. Got the adrenaline flowing?....

Oh wait... sorry, wrong franchise - My bad. Back to reality, carry on.
  9. JDuffPhoto Jedi Knight

I miss Star Wars Night and hanging out with 40 of my friends...
  10. Mother_of_the_Twins Jedi Master

I'm looking forward to our meeting tonight so we can make new friends and talk endlessly about the show. [face_dancing]

Oh, and I plan to watch the bowling, so be prepared to be heckled from the peanut gallery. [face_clown]
  11. quigonschuel Jedi Master

I'm looking forward to this evening as well - a LOT of new faces will be there, I'm sure of it.

Don't laugh TOO hard at me during bowling... ;)
  12. Mother_of_the_Twins Jedi Master

Those who can, do.

Those who cannot, heckle...
  13. quigonschuel Jedi Master

Love it...
  14. Wild Sidewalker Jedi Knight

Two ideas for next year.

1. Don't tell fans they can't dress up but ask fans who do to go directly to their seats until 5pm so as to not contribute to a bottle neck.

2. Have other Star Wars-themed entertainment available for between the game and the live show while we wait for darkness. One idea: have a local a cappella group perform Moosebutter's "Star Wars"
  15. BPStoyle Jedi Master

Well, the darkness came out of two issues, one that was planned (and always a concern in the back of my head), and one that was last minute:

1) Starting the game at 6:05 -- All previous years we started the game at 7:05, but this year it was moved up because of a few parent complaints from last year. Which I've always found funny since it wasn't that late last year (we had great weather, no rain delays, and the show was half the length of the previous year's). I never liked this idea. It's Star Wars NIGHT, not "Star-Wars-bring-the-kids-in-the-afternoon-and-get-them-home-in-time-for-beddy-bye DAY". It's on a weekend evening, school is not a factor. My main concern was the sky being too bright for the videos (which I still think it was), but at the time I figured at least the live show would be fine. Until the 2nd factor...

2) Jamie Moyer pitching -- This obviously was never part of the plan until the week leading up to the game. But it played a huge factor in how quickly the innings went. Without this most Bisons games do last a few hours. Before Moyer was announced, Anthony was saying most games go 4 hours, which would have meant we wouldn't have been ready until at least 10pm. Now that's not to say that the game couldn't have been rushed without Moyer but it was unprecedented since it was his first time pitching in the Minors on his contract.

Personally, I'm hoping for a later start time next year. Even if it's only a half hour it would be a big help. However, we'll see how the cards land in the coming months when the team plans their season.
  16. BPStoyle Jedi Master

I agree the "other Vader" and other folks who dress up needs to be handled in kid gloves. Taking care of the bottleneck is an important thing the Bisons have been trying to address for years. And, really, we have no right to tell someone "don't dress up in costume." It was cool seeing the Tusken and Jawa that showed up (why are they not in the group!?), and for a while we wanted a second Vader anyway. I agree that it's tricky when someone gets a photo with "Rubies Vader guy" and then thinks he was with us, but we have a lot of crossover with just the groups that were there anyway (Garrisons Excelsior/Carida, Canadian/Echo Bases, R2 Builders, and of course us). Perhaps next time we see these folks who did costumes like this, give them our info and try to get them to join us.

Perhaps on the flipside we could try everyone being up on the concourse and in the stands at the time of the gates opening, but NOT at that one main entrance. I'm not sure how that would fare, but it may be worth a try.
  17. BPStoyle Jedi Master

I'm a little wary at the idea of having too much planned content post-game, since anything there will ultimately take away from our impact. Something short and cool and very different, great. But if it's too long (or similar to our stuff in any way) people will start drawing comparisons and it'll steal some of our thunder. Since it's pretty different, one or two a cappella numbers may be fun.
  18. Wild Sidewalker Jedi Knight

Totally agree. That's why I thought musical performances would be a good adjunct/time-killer. Maybe a band that can do covers of "The Saga Begins" "Yoda" and "The Star Wars that I used to know"? Anyway, something fun and different from our show but still in the theme. Something worth putting on the table with the Bisons anyway.
  19. JDuffPhoto Jedi Knight

On the topic of fans dressing up, when we started the photo area, I had Artoo in place for 5 minutes before someone started chewing me out about Vader leaving an walking away from his kids. It took me a minute or so to figure out that Chris hadn't come upstairs yet and the Vader he was talking about was a fan in a Rubies costume.

I wouldn't want to discourage people from dressing up as that is all part of the excitement of the night. I just take it as a lesson learned (even from last year...) that we are going to have the challenge of people mistaking fans for us.

I don't think there is a sure-fire way of avoiding bottlenecks. People are going to come in and start looking around immediately - where are the characters, where are the tables, etc. There's so much excitement right from the start that unless they are ushered into the stadium, they're going to stop right inside the gate and start looking for their first glimpse at the events of the night.

I agree with Bryan, 7:05 is a great start time, but if they need to start earlier, no later than 1/2 hour. It makes a real difference, not only for the video, but for the first group of people out on the field who have to wait for the first queue in daylight. Not to mention how much better the sabers look when it's darker out.
  20. JediXXL Jedi Master

Another option is to mark the real costumers with a patch, tag or a pin so there is no confusion by the staff.

Te venue has the right to restrict people in masks for scurity reasons, they may consider imposing such a restriction in the future.
    JediXXL threw 6-faced die for: Total: 20