1. The NEW boards are up and running!
    Boards.TheForce.net

POSTING ON THIS BOARD HAS BEEN DISABLED

Lit TCW Continuity Cabaret: Now Showing Season 5! (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Expanded Universe' started by Barriss_Coffee, May 30, 2012.

1. instantdeath Jedi Grand Master

Ah, mullet Revan... always one of my lesser favorites. Ah well.

Personally, I believe that wookieepedia's claim that no Exile face matches the one given in the book is bogus. There's one that I feel fits perfectly... best of all, it's the one I've been using for years :)
  2. Gorefiend Jedi Grand Master

Just further proves that he was Kyps Durrons inspiration as controversial hero :p
  3. Rogue_Follower Lit Moderator

The Wookieepedians asked about the Exile's face too, but Leland didn't recall which one it was off the top of his head. He said he'd get back to them later.

Incidentally, he also said that he would be doing more question answering on Facebook...
  4. ESg Jedi Grand Master

My question better get answered again [face_monkey]
  5. instantdeath Jedi Grand Master

On the Exile, there are honestly a few faces that could work well. All I really remember Karpyshyn going into on her was that she was tall and had brown hair.
  6. blackmyron Jedi Master

That's my understanding as well. If you work for LFL, check with Leland. (And if you do use Wookieepedia, take everything with a grain of salt and look up the original sources yourself if possible - which is good advice for any SW researcher as well).
  7. ceiranharmony Jedi Master

just read part of the latest Insider... some "D'oh" moments to come...

Quote: "Ultimately the New Essential Chronology - which maintains the illusion that every event in the Star Wars Expanded Universe is part of a cohesive reality - the Readers Companion presents the EU as a series of adventures created here in the real world. (...) Hidalgo also notes when work was first published and whenever the overarching continuity of the EU fails to line up perfectly."

Ahem... I hope this is just a weird case of "epic wording fail" on Insiders part! Or a sign of a new trend we will loath till doomsday. Sure the EU does not ever line up perfectly and sure TCW is not the only continuitybreaker but this sounds as if the EU itself is at fault for the recent trend of ignoring continuity.
  8. Gorefiend Jedi Grand Master

I think it’s just them wording it very badly. ;) Though haven’t gotten around to reading anything but the Bane short story.
  9. instantdeath Jedi Grand Master

As a "casual" Star Wars fan (of course, the fact that I'm currently posting on a Star Wars message board and have read dozens of novels and comics sort of goes against the "casual" claim), I find wookieepedia's greatest use is for the lovely pictures. Since most SW writers nonchalantly drop race names without going into what they look like, it's nice to be able to quickly look them up for an image.

Also, I use the timelines, but even now some of the timelines need some work.

It is worded rather pretentiously... but I suppose it's accurate in that the "illusion" is that it's all one cohesive reality. Of course, I don't believe any one truly believes that SW EU in any way, shape or form constitutes reality.
  10. Todd the Jedi Jedi Grand Master

Nah, I understand what Pablo's saying. He's saying IU it all seemingly lines up, it's all one long history. But IRL we obviously know that works are often released out of order and often contradict each other. Stuff like the NEC, Atlas and Guide to Warfare do their best to tie it all together.
    ceiranharmony likes this.
  11. MercenaryAce Jedi Master

Or it turns out that every work is in fact an alternate universe. Any references to previous events are simply something similar that happened in the reality in question.
  12. Sinrebirth SWC, ToR and EUC Mod-Imperator

Or not.
    ESg likes this.
  13. CooperTFN Jedi Grand Master

You couldn't really blame someone for choosing to look at it that way, though - it certainly makes it easier to ignore TCW altogether if one is so inclined.
  14. instantdeath Jedi Grand Master

Well, a lot of people do use "personal canon's", which I have no problem with. At the end of the day, this is all entertainment; if omitting something makes the Star Wars galaxy a better place to devote your time to, then go for it.

Personally, the only real thing that happens in my "personal canon" that doesn't happen in "real" canon is that Cronal dies in Shadows of Mindor. Because him living after that death scene... well, it's beyond stupid and anti-climactic:(. Star Wars may be chock full of "fakeout" deaths, but there are only so many I can take. I just choose to think that the one who captured Mara is another of the Emperor's Hands. Or maybe even a son... Cronal had a daughter, after all (one of the bosses in Dark Forces).
  15. ceiranharmony Jedi Master

well I am looking forward to Pablo pointing out where a work does not line up with continuity of others... and how this will be done. with retcons or without.
  16. ceiranharmony Jedi Master

Just wait for Stover pulling a Dark Empire novel with Kyle Katarn, Mara, Cronal and Palpatine based on wotc adventure hooks wherein in a flashback the Emperor resurrects Cronal from the dead and you'll be all for it! Survival needn't be the same as survival on his own :p
  17. instantdeath Jedi Grand Master

If it's good enough my opinion can change. I think I'd still rather it be another badass villain, though. Cronal got a pretty great death scene IMO. Or as my edited post suggests, perhaps a son, since I actually really loved the connection between Cronal and his daughter whose name currently escapes me in Jedi Knight.
  18. ESg Jedi Grand Master

Sariss
  19. Gorefiend Jedi Grand Master

Wait, what? Sariss is Cronals daughter?! Holy mynocks, how did I miss that :eek:
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  20. CooperTFN Jedi Grand Master

^ What he said.