1. The NEW boards are up and running!
    Boards.TheForce.net

POSTING ON THIS BOARD HAS BEEN DISABLED

Lit TCW Continuity Cabaret: Now Showing Season 5! (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Expanded Universe' started by Barriss_Coffee, May 30, 2012.

1. MercenaryAce Jedi Master

Of course, it is rather deliberate in the case of the Elder Scrolls, what with their time being non-linear and whatnot.
  2. RC-1991 Jedi Master

True, but even historical texts (all the different accounts of the Battle of Red Mountain and the actions of Nerevar, for example) allow for multiple interpretations.
  3. MercenaryAce Jedi Master

True....though, again, deliberate, since all the historical texts are in universe and reflect the biases of the their authors.
  4. Grand Admiral Jello Community and Expanded Universe mod-type person

Yeah, I mean, are you complaining that they don't spoonfeed us some sort of authoritative indisputable history? What'd the point of that be?
  5. RC-1991 Jedi Master

Not at all, quite the opposite really. More a combination of 1) bringing up another fantasy universe with lore inconsistencies, 2) minor griping about ES:eek: and the changes it makes (Argonians, Dunmer, and Nords making an alliance? Please no), and 3) I sometimes get involved in lore debates over on r/teslore, so that occasionally pokes through. I'm accepting the fact that this kind of interpretation of lore/history may very well become the norm in Star Wars, and taking comfort in the fact that ES pulls it off well enough- usually.
  6. blackmyron Jedi Master

Marvel represents another one, but I've found that as difficult as it is to manage it, it represents a strength over DC's approach (so much that they are - belatedly - attempting for a third time to create a consistent universe). Of course, that they had their own Leland Chee/Pablo Hidalgo/James Luceno rolled up into one - Mark Grunewald - probably helped.

A friend of mine, who was and is still a big fan of Transformers, told me recently that there's a whole official continuity now and what is and isn't canon (the movies aren't apparently). And just to show how far some fans will go, there's an attempt to make sense of the Zelda games which, as far as I'm aware, are deliberately noncontinuous.

I guess the bottom line is that Star Wars' continuity issues, while recently contentious, are nowhere near as bad as other story universes.
  7. Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master

Just an FYI:
    Transformers has been established as a multiverse for quite a few years now, and while crossover things happened once in a while, canon pretty much only referred to what took place in that specific universe. G1 and Beast Wars, for instance, share the same canon, while the Movie-verse and Transformers: Armada don't. And the entire new continuity is something kind of like a reboot...except it's not really. Made up of the Prime TV series and the War for/Fall of Cybertron games, this new continuity is its own thing completely separate from the old multiverse (while allowing the multiverse and its worlds to remain in existence) with the intent to be a distillation of every awesome element that's been done before in the whole franchise. As a current fan, I can say that it seems to be working pretty great so far.

The Legend of Zelda games actually do have continuity now, officially. It's a little complicated, but as somebody who's been invested in the series for a while, I honestly like how they've done things.
  8. ESg Jedi Grand Master

Everything in Transformers is canon. Absolutely everything
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.