1. The NEW boards are up and running!
    Boards.TheForce.net

POSTING ON THIS BOARD HAS BEEN DISABLED

FanFic The Lounge (fanfic social thread is back)

Discussion in 'Fan Activities' started by SilSolo, Apr 4, 2012.

1. earlybird Jedi Master

And I have posted one here
  2. Tarsier Jedi Master

FelsGoddess was an amazing writer. I am really going to miss her. :(

@};-
  3. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Jedi Master

Fan Fiction... it is like a drug. An addiction that cannot be overcome, especially when you find stories on TF.N's old board through Wayback Machine and the dang site doesn't have snapshots of the next page and you're left doing a Darth Vader impression of "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

*covers head in shame*
    RK_Striker_JK_5 and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  4. TrakNar Jedi Grand Master

I've been in the mood for some fanfic reading lately. But, I can't find anything that strikes my fancy at the moment. Hell, I'm not even sure what type of fic mood I'm in, or what type of fic I'm looking for.
  5. LazyK Jedi Master

I realized a long time ago that if I wanted to read something that catered to my own peculiar tastes, I had to write it myself. Thank the Maker my non-peculiar tastes are broader than a Hutt. :D

- lazy
  6. Matthew Martin Jedi Padawan

Hello All,

The name's Matt Martin. I have been a member of Jedi Council Forums since Fall 2009 I believe. New to the temp forum.

Best,
    Matt

(mav edit: Welcome to the temp boards Matt! I've edited your post because we don't allow advertisement of fics in here, but we'd be glad for you to post your fic itself if you choose to do so.
    I will say that a lot of people haven't registered here at the temp boards so you may get more people for your RPG when we make it back to the real boards. Same goes for readers when you post a fic.)
    Matthew Martin threw 6-faced die for: Total: 23
  7. sithgirl132 Jedi Youngling

I return to hear the sad news. That's horrible! FelsGoddess was an amazing writer and will be very much missed.
  8. TrakNar Jedi Grand Master

If I could narrow down what I want to read, then perhaps I'd better be able to find some fics to read. The problem is I'm not sure what I want to read. I want to read something.
  9. Ceillean Jedi Master

Then why don't you just read something? Click your way through various fanfics or original stories on the net. You're bound to find something to read.
  10. TrakNar Jedi Grand Master

Sounds like a plan!

Though... last time I did that... more than half of what I read devolved into yaoi.
  11. Keagle Jedi Knight

I tend to be a picky reader. Usually, the more content, the more likely I'm to find what I'm looking for. :-BFor Star Wars, I narrow it down by time period; I like EU, but in the right mood I can read the OT or prequels. Then it depends on the characters being featured. Pairings either matter big-time or not at all. Then it's the story. And then there's the quality.

But one thing about quality is that some fics evolve to become incredible pieces, even though the beginning may suggested otherwise. It's always awesome to witness the growth of a fic and seeing the writer find his/her groove. :) And then they become so great and spoil you, and you expect every fanfic to be as up to par as theirs.
  12. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Jedi Master

No kidding. I've actually ended up overlooking just as good stories because they weren't up to par of some others that I had read and really loved. Eventually though, I go back and read those and kick myself for not doing so earlier.

The one thing I have trouble with fan fics is that there isn't enough of "such and such". For me, right now, its Dooku/Qui-Gon. There just isn't enough of the Master/Padawan stories out there to satisfy my craving. I've resorted to writing my own, the horror! I can only hope that Lucasbooks will finally get off their butt and start exploring that time period and prompt a massive tsunami of fan fics from it. :)

Speaking of fan fics, I need help with something and I'm not sure where to go to get my questions answered. I've been playing off and on with an Inverted Star Wars universe plot idea that I had once tried to get a discussion started in EUC and it fell flat on its face a few weeks ago, which led to me exploring it by my lonesome self. Anyway...

I need help naming our familiar Jedi as Sith Lords. Here are examples of what I mean:

Darth Putrius - Qui-Gon Jinn, Putrius is latin for Putrid or Rot.
    Darth Delirus - Obi-wan Kenobi, Delirus is latin for Delirium
    Darth Imperius - Mace Windu, saw that on deviantart, liked it.
    Darth Malis - Yoda, same as Windu
    Darth Larius - Jocasta Nu, Larius is latin for Keeper.

Any ideas where I can ask this that will get the most attention without getting locked on me? Help here would be appreciated too.
  13. Iverna Jedi Master

Not to nitpick, but delirium is Latin for delirium. :p "Delirus" means "crazy".

I guess right now we don't have the Resource forum, so probably you could just post it here, or start a thread tagged "fanfic" for it. That's what I'd say, offhand, although I'm not a mod so don't take my word for it.
    darthishtar likes this.
  14. mavjade Fan Activites/Fanfic Moddess

@CmdrMitthrawnuruodo - You can post a thread discussing naming Sith, asking for how others would name our favorite Jedi as Sith. You are allowed to post threads discussing generalities such as questions regarding planets, species, timelines, etc. What you are not allowed to do is ask for specific plot help, use a thread to bounce ideas off people or to promote your story. Once a general question has been answered (usually with input from several people) it will most likely be locked so it doesn't turn into a ploting thread.

As always, if you have any questions regarding what you can and can not post, feel free to shoot one of us mods a PM. I promise we don't bite too hard! :)
  15. TrakNar Jedi Grand Master

I'm terrible with Sith names. I have a name sitting around for a character in my NaNo fic that had ground to a screeching halt, but I'm not giving him up. :p
  16. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Jedi Master

Ah well, it's what i get for using Google Translate. :D

@mavjade Thanks for clarifying that. I'll start a thread then and see if it'll get bites.
  17. anakinfansince1983 Shelf of Shame "Winner"

Did FelsGoddess have any fics in the archive? I know that when RebelMom passed, there was a tribute thread dedicated to her with links to her archived fics. Just a thought, and I think it might work even on the temp boards.
  18. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin

You might want to wait on that til we're on the perm boards - that way the thread won't get lost when we move again. Good idea though.
  19. Madman007 Jedi Knight

Just read the sad news about FelsGoddess. "Am I Allana or Amelia" was one of my favorite fics in the last few years. So uniquely written from a child's point of view. She will be missed. I send hope to her family.

[face_thinking] You know, I haven't written much in a while. Maybe I can write a fic to dedicate to FelsGoddess. She deserves it! @};-@};-@};-
  20. darthishtar Jedi Knight

Well, I haven't been on for a bit for a very good reason: I've had a lot going on. The most recent bit is my first solo piano recital. It was on this last Friday, had an hour of music including Transformers music and a Mozart piano concerto. My mom claims that you're allowed to have one nervous breakdown per recital, so I had five. Kept having hours upon hours where I couldn't stop crying. Yelled a lot. In the end, I didn't screw up anything too badly at the actual recital. My two-year-old nephew apparently picked out the flowers my family gave me and they were this huge bouquet of gerber daisies and spider mums and allium and they were pretty much as big as he was. This is also the nephew who hand-picked my Valentine's Day balloon and cookies. Until I have a guy who loves my guts, I've got this nephew who makes me laugh. Afterwards, I went out for brownies, stayed in a hotel with a swimming pool for a night and then got on with life (after shopping as well).

And so now that's over, my wrists still hurt from all the work I've been doing and I'm giving myself until Wednesday before I write anything again. I also started a new(ish) job. I'm at the same company, but I've been trying for two years to get a transfer over to the Spanish/International side of things and it finally happened.

And in two weekends, Kateydidnt and I are going to see Les Miserables. I've seen it...three times(?) on stage, but this will be her first live performance. It's being done by the Utah Shakespearean Festival and we got box seats.