1. The NEW boards are up and running!
    Boards.TheForce.net

POSTING ON THIS BOARD HAS BEEN DISABLED

Clone Wars Why do Anakin and Obi-Wan work so closely together during The Clone Wars?

Discussion in 'Television' started by Joe_Garelli, Jul 8, 2012.

Moderators: Seerow, Sith Star Slayer
  1. Iron_Lord Jedi Grand Master

This actually does get brought up in the novel The Clone Wars: Wild Space- Yoda gives Obi-Wan a pointed warning that Anakin needs a mentor- not a friend- and it would be a mistake for Obi-Wan to build a friendship with him.

Obi-Wan thinks to himself that in this case Yoda's wrong- after Anakin's loss of his mother, he needs a friend to support him.

In the novel of Revenge of the Sith it's also brought up that they're close, but Anakin's closer than vice versa- any Jedi would be willing to sacrifice another to achieve peace- but not Anakin:
    "I trust him with my life," Obi-Wan said simply. "And that is precisely the problem."

The other two Jedi Masters watched him silently while he tried to summon the proper words.

"For Anakin," Obi-Wan said at length, "there is nothing more important than friendship. He is the most loyal man I have ever met- loyal beyond reason, in fact. Despite all I have tried to teach him about the sacrifices that are at the heart of being a Jedi, he- he will never, I think, truly understand."

He looked over at Yoda. "Master Yoda, you and I have been close since I was a boy. An infant. Yet if ending this war one week sooner- one day sooner- were to require that I sacrifice your life, you know I would."

"As you should," Yoda said. "As I would yours, young Obi-Wan. As any Jedi would any other, in the cause of peace."

"Any Jedi," Obi-Wan said, "except Anakin."

Yoda and Mace exchanged glances, both thoughtfully grim. Obi-Wan guessed they were remembering the times Anakin had violated orders- the times he had put at risk entire operations, the lives of thousands, the control of entire planetary systems- to save a friend.

More than once, in fact, to save Obi-Wan.

"I think," Obi-Wan said carefully, "that abstractions like peace don't mean much to him. He's loyal to people, not to principles. And he expects loyalty in return. He will stop at nothing to save me, for example, because he thinks I would do the same for him."

Mace and Yoda gazed at him steadily, and Obi-Wan had to lower his head.
    "Because," he admitted reluctantly, "he knows I would do the same for him."

"Understand exactly where your concern lies, I do not." Yoda's green eyes had gone softly sympathetic. "Named must your fear be, before banish it you can. Do you fear that perform his task, he cannot?"

"Oh, no. That's not it at all. I am firmly convinced that Anakin can do anything. Except betray a friend. What we have done to him today..."

"But that is what Jedi are," Mace Windu said. "That is what we have pledged ourselves to: selfless service-"

Obi-Wan turned to stare once more toward the assault ship that would carry Yoda and the clone battalions to Kashyyyk, but he could see only Anakin's face.

If he asked me to spy on you, do you think I would do it?

"Yes," he said slowly. "That's why I don't think he will ever trust us again."
    He found his eyes turning unaccountably hot, and his vision swam with unshed tears.

"And I'm not entirely sure he should."
  2. Sith Star Slayer LACWAC Mod of Peace, Justice & War

Manager
    I would have liked to see that exchange on film.
    TreborSabreon likes this.
  3. Valairy_Scot Jedi Grand Master

But according to TCW they are not FORMER master/padawan at the time. I believe the thread question is about keeping former pairs paired up.
  4. darthboba Only a Prime can defeat Vader and his Emperor.

Manager
    Until TCW shows otherwise, Barriss was a full Knight and still working with Luminara by the end of the clone wars.
    Zeta1127 and Sith Star Slayer like this.
  5. Valairy_Scot Jedi Grand Master

Nope, TCW DID show Barriss as a padawan in the Geonosis arc.
    Dark Lord Tarkas and Lady_Misty like this.
  6. darthboba Only a Prime can defeat Vader and his Emperor.

Manager
    Okay. So what? There is still no timeline placement for any of this. Her being a Padawan for a still-floaty 2nd battle of Geonosis is irrelevant to her being Knighted later.
    Zeta1127 and Paparazzo like this.
  7. Darth Venger Jedi Master

Again, this is another thing that was never mentioned in the films. Anakin was just a Jedi Knight that served under Obi-Wan in the Prequels, and unless they address him not being considered an official master, and no longer a General for that matter, then it's going to screw things up.

I imagine the whole Ahsoka experiment will turn out to be a failure, which may also, or may not make him lose his rank as general, but this is something that has to be reconciled in the end. And for the love of Star Wars, they have to do this way before the last movie even happens.
  8. Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master

@darthboba We were talking about Anakin and Obi-Wan getting sent on missions together so often even though they're former Master and Padawan instead of currently being so. In Lair of Grievous, Kit Fisto teams up with an original character named Nahdar Vebb who is a Jedi Knight that used to be Fisto's Padawan. But in all the Barriss/Luminara team-ups in TCW so far, they're still Master and Padawan. That's all.
  9. darthboba Only a Prime can defeat Vader and his Emperor.

Manager
    ^I know. I don't consider just any single source, though. It'll all be fit together eventually, Filoni's delusions of grandeur notwithstanding.
    Zeta1127 likes this.
  10. Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master

Delusions of grandeur, now that is a pretty apt description of Filoni's behavior.
  11. Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master

Doing what GL tells you means you have delusions of grandeur? If you guys seriously think DF told GL how EU will be implemented into TCW and not the other way around... I hope you have a source for me.
  12. hlc88 Jedi Master

That's what I don't get... GL is the one who makes the decisions, why doesn't he get the blame? I guess Filoni is a more convenient scrape-goat for all the things that people don't like about TCW...
  13. Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master

Lucas and Filoni are both to blame, between Filoni and company coming up with Ahsoka Tano and allowing Lucas to take the idea and make it a disaster, and Lucas allowing the "return" of Darth Maul, to TCW being Filoni's show.
  14. Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master

You just said Dave Filoni "allowed" George Lucas to do what he did with the idea... I'm not sure how you're getting to these conclusions. GL is in charge.
  15. Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master

No Lucas isn't in charge, Lucas is supposedly only an adviser on the main characters, not the primary decision maker behind TCW. For someone who claimed to respect the EU at one point, Filoni sure hasn't championed it.
  16. anakinfansince1983 Shelf of Shame "Winner"

So would I. I love that exchange. Summed up that part of Anakin's personality and its conflict with the Jedi Code in a few paragraphs.
    TreborSabreon and Seerow like this.
  17. Alexrd Jedi Master

I still don't get what's there to blame about, but whatever. People sure do like to complain...
  18. Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master

Some of us love the Clone Wars timeline that consisted of the Clone Wars multimedia project and its derivatives, but TCW is completely redoing it in such a way that most of the multimedia project will lose it's original meaning after TCW, if it hasn't already. See the timeline of Clone Wars novels I posted in the last post on page 38 of the Even Piell Centre for a brief explanation of what I am talking about.
  19. darthboba Only a Prime can defeat Vader and his Emperor.

Manager
    I'd say that TCW is hardly "undoing" it, personally. I'm a big fan of the original CW project, and the thing is...

almost nothing in The Clone Wars TV show has timeline placement. That is a big deal as far as LFL goes-there is literally nothing in all of Star Wars that is not nailed down to a particular spot for when it happens. All we have so far is Anakin being Knighted right after Geonosis. The rest of the series is completely free-floating. When it is done it'll be pushed into the timeline like everything else has been. It's not like there has not been timeline adjustments before; the NJO and heck, the space between ANH and ROTS has been revised as to how long it actually was. If anything we'll get a longer war out of it; 5 years, perhaps, instead of the 3 it is currently set at. Remember how the prequels were supposed to render the EU null and void? Remember how that didn't happen? Same thing goes for TCW.
  20. Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master

Here is something I wrote in the Even Piell Centre that explains why TCW is the most disastrous work in the entire SW universe.
    In addition, TCW is supposed to start in 21 BBY, after the new date for Jedi Trial.
Moderators: Seerow, Sith Star Slayer