main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Penitent -- continued

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by JediGaladriel, May 13, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alderaan21

Alderaan21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 1998
    Oh, *wow.* That was good. And powerful. An event like this, and being able to be present in the characters' minds during it, makes it all the more powerful-- and this was all done beautifully. :)

2. Alderaan21

Jul 24, 1998
    Oh, *wow.* That was good. And powerful. An event like this, and being able to be present in the characters' minds during it, makes it all the more powerful-- and this was all done beautifully. :)

3. Alderaan21

Jul 24, 1998
  4. Alderaan21

Jul 24, 1998
    Oh man, I *did not* just quadruple post! (I've never done anything like that before!) Sorry about that. :)

5. Alpha_Ferdante

Alpha_Ferdante Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 1999
    Terrific posts JediGaladriel and Jedi Skysong. As usual, of course. I. like others, can't help but read your posts with fascinated wonder.

I keep thinking I'm braced for the power of your writing and you blow me away every time.

[tips a champagne glass to the two authors here]

Cheers to this story!

As a *Law and Order* fan (like at least one of you), I both look forward to and dread this trial.

Beautiful buildup! I really love how you make us feel for the prosecutor. I'd be nervous as hell in her position and you do a magnificent job of portraying that.

6. JediFinrod

JediFinrod Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2000
    Yea Galadriel and Skysong! *stands and cheers enthusiastically* Great posts, as always! :D

So the trial begins. I'm curious to see how Isabel will fit into it.

7. BelleBayard

BelleBayard TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Mar 16, 2000
    Up! Great scenes, SkySong, Galadriel! Talk about cliffhangers...you got 'em down. I'm dying here, folks. BTW, how's the typoon season doing, SkySong? Hope you haven't washed away. Heh...remember being real close to a hurricane once while I was stationed in Bermuda...scary stuff (but not nearly as much fun as our favorite Sith Lord and this story.) :D

8. Darth Padme

Darth Padme Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 22, 1999
    Great posts, Galadriel and Skysong! I always love to read your work. Very intense, great insights, and I ALWAYS love to see a good Leia/Ani bonding scene! Keep up the great work. Looking foward to seeing more soon!

9. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    Congratulations Gala! It took more than one day to break your spell over me...
    Ani says he doesn't really remember the destruction of the Jedi. Actually I can believe it. I've always thought that in those early years the Dark Side and Palpatine had the biggest influence on him. BTW, the death of the Jedi is in the "missing his footing" category? Or rather the triumph of the Darkness over him? I wouldn't say he was fighting against the darkness in him- he was a talented and successful Sith Lord, but I think he fought to controll this darkness, but used it deliberately. When you say he fought against the Darkness, IMO you make Luke's mistake: imagine Vader and Ani, totally different persons lock up together in one armor...

10. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    Well, for one thing, I don't think he ever did embrace the darkness or particularly enjoy being a Sithlord, no matter how good he was at it. The bit about him not remembering is a plot device more than a philosophical one, though -- I don't want to deal with any crime we may or may not see in the course of the course of the prequels, so, conveniently, no one around is witness to them. For the record, I expect that we'll see most of the death of the Jedi in Episode II -- before Anakin turns at all, when he's still the prey instead of the hunter. After all, even Obi-Wan, who is not inclined to be generous, doesn't accuse him of the entire purge, just of helping to "hunt," which means they were already in hiding by the time Vader came along.

Yes, I definitely am skating on the edge of Luke's mistake, but I think what Luke sees as literal, Anakin sees symbolically, as a handy way to talk to/about himself.

11. LadyZ

Jun 16, 2000
    I see your point Gala. You really don't sleep? Can you survive us? I mean you are in some situation. When you work on one of your stories, the fans of your other fanfic become hysterical and want posts. It's your fault- you write too well. :)

12. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    Pish-posh -- I got almost four hours! :D

(My own silly fault there, too. I'm really just taking itty bitty breaks in the middle of doing something else that I really needed to stay up and finish. Bless multitasking! I'd go crazy staring at a single thing for that long.)

I must admit, I feel quite guilty if I leave a fic alone too long. It's kind of like leaving my cat alone. He always survives, but then he gets in a snit as soon as he's satisfied that I'm back. Fics do the same thing.

13. LadyZ

Jun 16, 2000
    Have you thought of cloning yourself? But may be your cat wouldn't like that...

14. Jedi Skysong

Jedi Skysong Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 1999
    Y'know, them cats are DAMN spoiled. (Just take a look at my two cats, who lord it over us in our own house). But I love 'em anyways. Wish I didn't live in another country, my cat's pregnant and I need homes for kittens!

Weather still sucks out here and I AM GOING TO MOVE INTO AMI's MELROSE WARDROBE! I mean it! I don't care whether Narnia's in there or there are different time zones, warps or whatever. Anything to avoid the stinking (and I mean it literally) floods! Wouldja believe, there's ANOTHER typhoon in here now? And I'm willing to bet there's another one right behind it too. AAAUGH!

<sigh> Now if I only had a laptop (with modem and everything) so I can work on the other fics I've got in suspended animation while I hide out in the Wardrobe. <grin> I don't know how you do it, Gala -- four hours of sleep would fry my brain if I tried it.

Back to work for me!

15. RogueJai

RogueJai Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2000

Ahem! :) I have loved this soooo much. I want more!! :)

But whatever happened to "Will of the Force?" by Gala? (I think. I still can't remember quite what it's called---that one ami/ani one) I need that story!! :)

16. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    I'm not sure which one you mean -- I never wrote one called "Will of the Force." The only straight Ani/Ami I've done is "Always in Motion." Is that what you mean?

I had a post for this halfway done, then Sithy AOL cut me off and I lost all my work. Grr. Got so mad I put it aside and just repeated twenty times: I will write it in Notepad first, I will write it in Notepad first...

17. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    Even from the dais, Leia could see that Ivva Japui was trembling when she stood up.

_Father,_ she thought with a touch of anger, _if it were up to me, I'd add the psychological torture of this poor girl to this absurdly long list of charges. I might even put it near the top._

But that wasn't fair. Father had chosen Ivva for reasons of his own -- Leia suspected that they had to do with believing that Ivva was honorable, and that therefore he would not have to be ashamed by his defense any more than he already was by the need for it -- and Ivva... well, she had chosen as well, and, frightened as she was, she was standing by those choices. She had come to Leia again, not as lawyer to judge, but as Alderaanian to the house of Organa, and asked for the signets of office. Leia had given them, though she didn't really understand Ivva's point. Ivva had shrugged helplessly; she couldn't explain the point either, she just knew that when she stood to defend Lord Vader, she wanted to do it as an official of Alderaan.

Leia wondered if she'd really paid attention to the list of exhibits Vali Umbuimi was planning to show. She *really* wondered.

_Can I really watch it again? *Can* I? And if *I* can't, having been there the first time and knowing what to expect, how will the others react?_

But that was far into the prosecution's case. Ivva was merely giving her opening argument now.

She walked slowly to the center of the room, controlling the shaking a bit more with each step. Ivva was a fighter; she'd had to smile and nod at people more frightening than Leia Organa while Rebel prisoners were smuggled out of a room right behind her. She knew how to do this. It was just nerves.

_(am i doing the right thing?)_

Leia blinked. Ivva's thought had come through to her clearly and without interference. She'd had only vague experience with telepathy, muddy images. Why now? And why not something more *useful*?

She nodded.

Ivva nodded back, and began. "Ladies and gentlemen, my colleague has stated that Anakin Skywalker's remorse does not erase the crimes of which he is charged. I submit that Anakin Skywalker would be the first to acknowledge that."

No need for proof there; Father might have given Umbuimi's speech himself, excluding the parts about being a hero.

"I also acknowledge it," Ivva went on. "But as his remorse does not erase crimes, neither does our anger and disgust *create* them. There are any number of charges for which my client feels morally responsible, and he may well *be* morally responsible. But the function of this court is to decide for which crimes he is *legally* responsible. You will hear testimony about military raids, and captured rebels. You will see... " She stopped, breathed. "You will see an atrocity that has not been equalled, and you will see Anakin Skywalker stand by and watch it happen, though he could have stopped it at any time." She stopped speaking and looked around, meeting the eyes of many present. "Yes," she said at last. "You will see him watch. But you will not see him give an order, nor will you see him participate, because neither happened."

Leia bit the inside of her lip, hard, trying to stamp down the little girl who had cried out on the day Alderaan died, the child who had pounded uselessly at the inside of her skull, wanting to cry out to the powerful man behind her to do something, please, to stop this, but knowing that she could never trust him to do so, that...

_You are Chancellor and Judge, and even on that day, you knew to retain your dignity._

She straightened her back slightly, and watched Ivva speak. "You will see mistreatment of troops, and hear of horrors on La'azum. But as you listen, think and remember. Remember the amount of power this man wielded, and realize how much of it he held in check. Remember that all these things happened during a bloody civil war... were Vader's wartime actions criminal, or merely effecient? And remember that, because of that nature of this charge, just as some erroneous charges do no

18. Alpha_Ferdante

Alpha_Ferdante Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 1999
    Wonderful!

Now, everything's in place.

It's time for the Sith to hit the fan!

[worried look]

You know that sad part in all this, I can't help but wonder if Amidala's going to get one last wonderful tumble with Ani before he has to go away (if he has to go away). ;) :D

19. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    If that makes you sad, A_F, then that definitely makes two of us! ;) I have been wondering that for quite a while.

20. LadyZ

Jun 16, 2000
    Makes three of us... ;)
    I love this trial so much. Gala you showed very well the reaction of Leia. Her worry about Ivva's lack of ability as a lawyer turns into anger with his father who choose her as his advocate- so typical. Again great portrayal of character! Anyway Ani won't be happier than Tashin if he isn't hold responsible for those crimes which cannot be proven legally... But you are right, such an extreme long list of charges makes impossible even the punishment itself...

21. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    I promise, I will address the issue of a good tumble at some point in the not-too-distant future. :D

22. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
  23. LadyZ

Jun 16, 2000
    Hey, it's almost celebration time! Copying and pasting the post of the story, one after the other, without any editing, extra rows or changing font size, the pure text of The Penitent has reached page 99! With the next post for sure it will be 100! :D OK, I know the lenght itself couldn't make this story so good...

24. RogueJai

RogueJai Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2000
    Yesyesyes it's always in motion!! Yay I found it!

On a more serious note:

The courtroom scenes (and most of the other scenes here, come to think of it) are just plain heartwrenching. :) I love this story sosososososoooooo much!! :)

25. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    We're going to hold you to that promise, JG. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.