main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ~The Inheritance Cycle, by Christopher Paolini~ Discussing its literary merits

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    From everything I've read so far it was announced back in march. I really don't know how we missed it, you would think that something like this would be bigger.

Evil.

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Ah. Well, I do get a lot of my news from you guys, so . . . :p

I'm not big on the title because it's the name of the series, but other than that, it's not bad. At least I can pronounce it :p

3. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets most of my news from this place. :p

Evil.

4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Oooh, this again... :p

I knew about the announcement way back; another forum I frequently lurk on enjoys poking fun at and critiquing (although it could be more considered as "ripping") this series apart, and they have some very... vehement... reactions to the newest title, mostly having to do with Book 4's title being twin to the series title.

TBH, "Inheritance" is a little silly (and even worse is "The Inheritance Cycle: Inheritance", but I don't think anyone will refer to it as such). Much confusion will abound, no doubt.

5. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    So who else is going to read this now that it's out? I'm pretty excited to start it tomorrow after I finish the Alloy of Law. :)

Evil.

6. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Started it. About a quarter way through. Slow. Plodding.

My big problem with it (and as well as Brisingr) is that there's no urgency. They just go on their way and do stupid things and there's no threat. Probably because we haven't seen Galbatorix.

Saw Murtagh and Thorn already though. And then it goes to Roran.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Nope; I gave up.

8. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I gave up during book 3 and just threw all of them away. I ll just listen to other people to see how it all ends.

9. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    Sometimes I don't like being a person who won't give up. :p

The last book isn't so bad though, just a little slow. The first two were good, but it's just dragging on now. Someone should have told him that he doesn't HAVE to tie up every little insignificant plot line in the main story, just publish a book of short stories later on if you're really that anal about it.

Evil.

10. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    I enjoyed it, one of the better ones; my feelings on the series as a whole are still being worked out though... I feel that Inheritance, as a series ender, was done right, but then I like following every loose ends :p

11. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    Still haven't finished it, got distracted by skyrim and haven't been able to pull myself back into it. :(

I will finish though.

Evil.

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] I think a lot of people are having that problem lately :p

13. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Skyrim is very distracting indeed! I had the same problem while trying to read Magic of Recluse. I played so much I lost momentum in that book and Im STILL playing it. 100hrs in now of my first character and Im no where near done playing it. I ll wind up having 2 or 3 more characters before I lose interest playing everyday Im sure.

14. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Oh my God, this thread is still alive? I haven't kept up with Eragon, never did finish the second book. Tell me, is the series over yet?

15. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I think it is, I only read the first one which I think is mediocre.

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I believe the final book was released. Or I'm making stuff up.

17. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    It was released and predictably ended the series.

18. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    I bought the first two books after Eldest was released, bought Brisingr when it came out ... then Inheritance arrived. I borrowed it from the library, read the first chapter and practically threw it down in disgust. Never bothered to finish it, didn't buy it, and got rid of my copies of the first three. Still own the Eragon film, though.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I enjoyed the first book quite a bit, but good god the second one has this strange obsession with what Eregon is eating at THIS VERY MOMENT in every. single. chapter. Seriously, it makes Game of Thrones look "short".