main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Old Republic: Annihilation by Drew K

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 29, 2012.

1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Hmm... if that happens, then I may reign in my Mandorla-driven cynicism. :p

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Satele: Why don't we have your last name, anyway?
    Revan: My last name is Sunrider.
    Satele: Ah.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  3. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    [face_laugh] =D=

Of course, the last word of that exchange would need to run onto the next page, which in true Chosen One page fashion, would need to be ripped out of the novel.

4. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I'll get on the hope that one of that Theron dies, I really dislike him.

I like Drews' novels, they are a fun read. Am interested in Malgus's apprentice. He got knocked down a hole, no way he is dead.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    This.

6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Do we know if Revan went straight to the Foundry after meeting with the council? I imagine he did, so I doubt we'll see him as a supporting character (could be interesting to see Revan interact with his great-great-whatever grandson, after all), though it would be nice to get a cameo, perhaps from Satele's point of view. I was really disappointed we didn't get to see Revan and Satele interact in TOR.

On that note, I wonder if this novel will coincide with an expansion pack? I imagine not... don't expansion packs usually take at least two years to be released?

Well, if this is after the game, you actually see his corpse, and I believe the ship it's on explodes.

7. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    When do you see his corpse? Afterall, you have to knock him down a hole to defeat him.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The Joker's survived worse.

9. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Is there a chance that Lord Scourge is going to be in this? Cause that guy is good in anything.

10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Do you? I didn't... though my group didn't use the grenades. Kinda disappointed I didn't see what they were for, but he was manageable in a straight fight.

Doubt it. He's probably hanging out with the Jedi Knight character around this time. Or this might be right before it.

11. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I doubt Scourge will be available, although guess it depends on when this story takes place. I'm still trying to figure out when the class stories take place relative to each other (although I've only read about three of them so far, trying to remain unspoiled for the remaining five). I think Lost Suns referenced two of the Chapter 1 plots, so it was after that, but not sure otherwise.

And I've only gotten two conversations with Scourge so far. Nothing quite outright contradicts the events of the Revan novel, it just sounds really different, so not sure if there was miscommunication or the conversation was recorded before the Revan novel was finished. Not that the Revan novel contributed much to the Old Republic period. KotOR II made it sound like Revan was waging a one-man war on the True Sith Empire, slowing them down with the Exile joining him... then turns out he crashes on Nathem and then sits in a cell for years until the Exile finds him.

12. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    While I agree with people's sentiments about the Nomi book and have generally low thoughts about Karpyshan as a novelist, I want to remain optimistic. I really enjoyed The Lost Suns and Alexander Freed's work in the TOR era has been some of my favorite recent EU. In an ideal world, he'd be writing the book. So I am cautious. I greatly enjoy the era, moreso than most people here I am sure. If the book has interesting ramifications for the setting and time period, I'll still give it a go.

13. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    You never know... they might give the Jedi Knight a canon name, and we'll hear about the adventures of Master Eypik Keelar.:p

14. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    Nor did we. However, when he is almost dead he is supposed to become invincible and the only way to "kill" him is to knock him into one of the holes. It seems that the game glitched for you guys if you didn't have to do this.

15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Could that have been introduced in a patch? I did it fairly close after the game launched.

16. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    It's a mechanic for the Hard Mode version of the instance. You can't defeat him normally without knocking him down the central chasm once he reaches 9%. Generally, I'd not like to consider game mechanics as a form of canon but because this one is so integrated with the story content of the instance, I'm more inclined to consider it the 'actual' course of events.

17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Yes, so far I've only done it on normal mode. At the point I did it, he could be defeated normally. Will be something I'll have to try.

18. Corusca_One

Corusca_One Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    The mechanic is present for Normal mode as standard. It was around way back early on near launch as well because people were complaining about not being able to kill him as it originally required certain moves (force push was one) to do. Then they introduce the grenades. I have no idea how you killed him without pushing him, either a bug or the mechanic was briefly disabled.

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Solicitation cover from the Random House fall catalog.
    [image=http://edelweiss-assets.abovethetreeline.com/RH/images/jacket_covers/flyout/9780345529411.jpg]
    Not really any new info, other than an assurance that Drew worked with the full cooperation of the game design team.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Double post, I guess? Well, the real cover has been released since then.
    [​IMG]

21. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I wonder if this will lead into an expansion, hmmmmm.

I am curious about the new Sith, she could be one of more interesting characters in recent years.

Also before people get all down on Drew writing Theron, don't forget what the start of SW:DB:pOD:ANOTOR was like, HOPEFULLY it will be as good as that.

Kind of hoping the Sith win, being an Empire player will do that. I wonder how the class quests will be worked into the story,

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm looking forward to this but I haven't read the comics so who knows? Drews best book was Path of Destruction. His Mass Effect books were pretty good too.

23. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I originally thought that when I read the initial blurb for the story, but the revised description of Karrid as Gnost-Dural's pupil feels less significant than when she was to be Malgus's protégé, unless the plan is for her to have been both or something.

24. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I'm actually looking forward to this one, a lot of it comes from the time period its taking place in (This book comes right after TOR finishes right?) and another is that I always enjoy a book where the main character himself isn't a Jedi.

25. Lando Carmello

Lando Carmello Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2012
    I am interested too. I will probably listen too the audiobook, I had been spoiled by reading Stover books recentlry.