main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Truncated Posts

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    You may notice that some of the longer posts on the boards have been truncated. Here's the story on that:
    • All posts were truncated down to 10,000 characters during the move (this was not intentional or known at the time)
    • THIS WILL BE FIXED - Your posts are not lost, they still exist on the old forum database.
    • Mike from IGN is working on a fix and will restore all the truncated posts once he has it figured out.
    • We do not have a timeline currently as to when this will be fixed.
    Please forgive us for the temporary inconvenience. We do realize this is a pretty big issue. However, we decided to open the forums anyway despite this, as we don't know exactly when it will be resolved.

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    You're going to have a monstrous fanfic riot on your hands.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Fan Fic put up a notice, as did the RPF. RPF has also been warning users about it for a month or so, now.

But yeah, I'm anticipating a riot. :p

Thuro, Jedi Kao Cen Darach and EHT like this.
  4. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    riots, throws rotten food at ramza

:)

Hopefully it'll get fixed faster than the Move took.

5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Here's hoping as well! I know a lot of issues will come up just because it's a lot of custom code that needed to be transferred, and that always will have some bugs. But please bear with us!

Kao Cen Darach and JediBith like this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It's not too big of a deal, but will the longer posts be restored in the archived threads too?

There were a few threads I was going to recommend activating from the Senate archives, in a few weeks after you guys have less to work on, but I saw that most of the content from the long posts was cut.

Kao Cen Darach likes this.
  7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yes they will - the archives are a handy convention based on manipulating what Xenforo broadly refers to as "Nodes," rather than a legitimately distinct way of storing posts.

Kao Cen Darach and Ghost like this.
  8. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

THE EVIL CLIFFIE Jedi Master star 2

Jul 11, 2008

It's like Candle Jack has visited everyone on the boa

Kao Cen Darach likes this.
  9. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Just curious, but will editing the post with the original untruncated post fix the problem? That is to say, if I replaced the truncated fanfiction post with a backup from my PC, would it be truncated again or not?

10. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    No, it should let you edit in the whole post. Just keep in mind that if you do that, the original pre-move version will most likely be restored over that when the fix is applied.

study3600 likes this.
  11. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Will he fact that my posts in fanfic have question marks now where there used to be quotations be fixed as well?

12. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Well at lest we are the new forums. So when ever the rest of the stuff is figured out is fine by me.

13. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    We hope so.

study3600 likes this.
  14. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    So...truncated posts includes PMs as well, I assume?
    Thank you anyway for restoring the boards. I missed the old boards :)

Darth-Ghost likes this.
  15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    PMs are just posts to the system so I'd imagine they would be included. I don't think I have any that long so I haven't seen it first-hand.

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Some of my review threads, like the Journey Through the EU thread in Lit, have been effected by this . . . But I've always kind of suspected that people kind of zone out at about the 10,000 character limit anyway, at least in my threads. :p

Seriously, I support the decision to go ahead and get us up and running, even with this issue still unresolved. I'm just glad to be out of the temp boards right now, so I can be patient about my longer posts.

study3600 likes this.
  17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I do, and i can confirm they get truncated as well.

study3600 likes this.
  18. EmpressJainaSoloFel

EmpressJainaSoloFel Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2009
    How can we edit an older post to have a temp fix for our fics while the coding is worked on?

Or would it be acceptable to have a link to the backup version of my fic on another site as long as it's removed once the fix is in place?

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You'd need to get ahold of the Fan Fic managers about changing the edit time for your forum. And note that any changes you make to a truncated post will most likely be lost when the restore is done.

20. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    This Fan fic writer and RPer will have no part of riots. Lol!

Seriosly, I know that the staff is doing the best they can to correct the problem. I for one am just glad to be back home.

:D

21. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I'd double check with the FanFic mods, but I'm sure that's fine. :)

22. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Will there be any kind of announcement of progress as the truncated posts are fixed? Or just one announcement if you expect them to be fixed at the same time?

23. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    When they are fixed they will let us know Until then I say just be happy we have the new forums up and running.

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You'll know in two ways - 1. We'll personally put up a bunch of notices, and 2. You will hear us celebrating regardless of your geographic location.

So pretty much the same way the move ended. :p

25. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    so that means we will hear "We'sa got our posts fixed!" from across the known universe?
    I will be waiting for those notices. :)