main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I've never actually read a reference book or RPG guide :p

Of course I plan on remedying that soon by getting the Readers Companion, as well as the guide to the Force, the Atlas and the Guide to Warfare. Are any of the old WEG guides worth reading today?

And even then, you really should read Cloak of Deception with it to make the first film make any sense. So two books [face_devil]

2. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Dark Empire Sourcebook
    Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook
    Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook
    Imperial Sourcebook
    Basically, read the sourcebooks. :p

3. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    How dare you leave Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim off that list!
    I'd also add Alliance Intelligence Reports, Cracken's Rebel Operatives, and Wanted by Cracken to the list.

4. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Everything from WEG is worth reading.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, what he said. But I can't believe you guys left SWAJ off that list. I mean come on--that's the creme de la creme of the EU.

instantdeath, yeah, of course I've read CoD. It features Palpatine! :p

blackmyron likes this.
  6. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Those things are expensive :p

There's always used copies, I guess. And, erm, digital copies...

Nah, assumed you'd read it, just saying that you have to read two books if you want any hope of enjoying Episode 1. Y'know, beyond Liam Neeson.

7. Darth_Culator

Darth_Culator Jedi Master star 2

Dec 10, 2005
    I, and my associates, have the utmost respect for copyright laws. Really we do. Really. And we have no idea where these "digital copies" might be located or how many images on Wookieepedia might have come from said "digital copies." No idea whatsoever.

[face_batting] :D:p[face_dancing] [face_laugh]

RC-1991 and instantdeath like this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You know, I got my SWAJs the old fashioned way. I scoured for years and years, and slowly built up a collection. I even found AJ #1 at my school's used book store. Whoever sold it was a moron, but hey.

Ris_jSarek and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I'd also add Secrets of the Sisar Run and Mission to Lianna.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Also Far Orbit Project. The bit about Imperial Intelligence throwing quiet, professional fits is priceless.

11. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    WEG is MY Star Wars. I take all of the franchise in stride, but WEG is the heart and soul of my love for it, and has been for 19 (!) years now.

A lot of it will feel old to a reader coming to it now - it was written in a day when the Clone Wars and the fall of Anakin Skywalker were mysterious past events danced around so as not to interfere with the hush-hush, rumored-to come prequels. Other elements have had their context changed by authors building on them in unexpected directions, or by authors unaware (or unwilling to follow) what was written in admittedly obscure books. That said, much of it still holds up pretty well. Here are five books I think are particularly stand-out for folks who've never played an RPG in their life:

The Truce at Bakura Sourcebook - The most comprehensive source on the Battle of Endor out there, this also includes several vignettes by Kathy Tyers. It also includes "Deposition 9483749/12982 {Verbal}" (later retitled for its appearance on Hyperspace as "The Deposition of Han Solo"), telling the tale of how a restless Solo decided to take over an Imperial Star Destroyer at Endor. It is one of the sharpest pieces of EU writing I've ever read, capturing Solo's voice perfectly.

The Dark Empire Sourcebook - If you want to make sense of Dark Empire in the context of the larger Expanded Universe, you need this book. It probably suffers more than the rest from "obscure sourcebook gets overlooked" syndrome, but then, a single paragraph in this book was the inspiration for Matt Stover's Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.

Rebel Alliance Sourcebook: This one edges out its counterpart, the Imperial Sourcebook, on account of the strength of several of its chapter-opening vignettes. "The painkiller was extremely effective."

Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim - This has a bit more gaming-related material than other works on this list, but the discussions in the last few chapters of news, alcoholic beverages, and popular music make up for it; no other SW book establishes a sense of a "living breathing place, where people live, work, play, and die" as GG9 does. The hilarious glossary of Rebel SpecOp slang is icing on the cake.

Star Wars Adventure Journal #7: Okay, I could fill this whole list out with Adventure Journals; they're packed with good stuff. But this is the best among them. I could tell you why, but it's late, and Dan Wallace can do it better anyway.

12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Ris_jSarek: Good job, you actually made me want to take a look at the WEG guides.

I'm actually currently making my way through the Adventure Journals. Well, I took a bit of a break of them. Unfortunately, it seems some of the early ones are great stories mixed in with a few duds (Alexandra Winger... sheesh). Have found a few hidden gems, though, and haven't reached #7 yet.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Aw, I liked the Winger stories.

The Lords of the Expanse stuff is pretty good too. Lots of content there, spread across several different supplements.

14. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    That they did and the franchise didn't stop there, although for the next 14 years it seemingly did, for some people. :p

In all seriousness, WEG was a game tailored to a group of adventurers. It has to be small-scale in order to seem internally consistent. That's why we barely see things beyond what a group can take on alone.

What irks me is when people took that as a basis for how everything in SW is, even after the prequels and the tv show came out and showed larger-than-ISD craft in warfare that weren't named Executor or Eclipse, for instance.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, I think the "moderate" position never had a problem with those ships--it just wanted to make clear that those ships were not exactly common. My biggest issue was with using the term dreadnought for SSDs, implying that they were battleships that were meant to fight in a line of battle. I've never seen a line of SSDs, and nobody else has either. So WEG's portrayal of the ISD as a battlewagon, I think, was never really outmoded by subsequent canon.

And you're absolutely right that it was suited for adventurers, but that's probably where most of the action was too. We can suppose that some big Core World strategic fleets had much bigger ships, but since there weren't any enemies that could go toe-to-toe with the Empire, they were never used in an area that would be depicted by the EU.

The only thing that bugs me about early EU "minimalism" is how the battles for Coruscant and other Core Worlds were basically little skirmishes. I mean, if we had something like ROTS's Coruscant battle in Wedge's Gamble, that'd have been great. Part of it is for silly plot reasons, but eh. The Rebels should have earned it. Endor shouldn't be the biggest battle of the GCW--it was still a Rim-ward thing.

(edit: That is, if Endor actually happened.)

16. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Exactly. Moderates like us never were anti-super ships. Far from it! Nor were we ever against there being multiple classes of them. The main difference came down to more extreme maximalist position that ISD's were just little picket ships flitting about the Outer Rim while battle lines of multi-kilometer warships were the "real" Navy.

Yeah, I always wished that the liberation of Coruscant in 2.5 ABY was more epic. The New Republic Navy made a big showing, with Home One, Mon Remonda, and a alot of other Mon Cal cruisers, as well as the captured ISD's Emancipator and Liberator. Plus tons of frigates, corvettes, bulk cruisers, assault frigates, and other vessels. I always was under the impression that the NRDF deployed at least a few hundred warships for the attack.

--Adm. Nick

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  17. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Your revisionism is nearly as bad as Na'al's. :p

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
  19. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Bah! Old school fans like me still think in the Bantam-era post-ROTJ dating system.

6.5 ABY just doesn't look right. :p

--Adm. Nick

20. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Making them something special, as they should be, you know like in the movie.

The movie itself already made clear they are meant to be "abnormal" by calling it “Super” and having only one show up.

Properly because none ever lasted long enough in a real battle anyway :p

The movie itself already makes clear that they are supposed to be a major warships, just by showing us by how much smaller the stuff the Rebels have is. Though originally they would have actually had the role of the TIEs.

Can't blame them for making it Star Wars -> about a small group of Heros. ;)

Even then, why not build dedicated space defense platforms that are way more useful in defense and way less expensive. They are literally only there as parade barges and potential deterrents that only keep succeeding in failing on epic scale.

Pretty much all Warfare in SW would be raids and skirmishes, as space is just too big for anything else, unless both sides agree to let a major showdown happen.

Actually the ROTS space battle is bafflingly strategically pointless, but then most of the Clone Wars are.

Sure Isard was semi-insane, but forcing the Rebels to hold Coruscant is not the worst approach to ruining them.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't care so much about the ship stuff (since that's a long dead discussion), but regarding Coruscant--I'm sorry, no. That is literally the worst move that she could have possibly made. Pinning the Rebels down at the cost of forever losing galactic legitimacy is simply not worth it. At all. Not even close.

Yeah, I agree. But he rightly made fun of you by using ABY with the 2.5 years :p

22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Not if it shatters the Rebellion and allows her to take it back as liberating heroine, further legitimating her rule. Though at least in her mind.

23. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    That's how real navies work, why should SW be any different? The majority of ships in the movie and tv show universe span from corvettes to cruisers, pretty much like in real life.
    The navy's centered on carrier groups and submarines to provide the heaviest offensive power, though.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    If the Rebellion won't last long against a fleet of picket ships, it's pretty much a ridiculous disgrace that isn't even worth the effort of a trap.

(admittedly, the Rebellion is a ridiculous disgrace...)

Yeah, in her mind. But she's an idiot, so what she thinks isn't particularly helpful. :p Especially as the costs of her being wrong basically entailed the end of the Galactic Empire as we knew it.

25. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    WEG was a bit before my time sadly...but from what I have seen show up on the wook, it certainly seems like it captures the Star Wars feel better than most things - wondrous yet familiar, gritty and individual yet epic in scope....

In particular, the wildlife stood out at me. Most stuff you see today is...well, like a cat with a few feathers or something....functional, but really bland in comparison to the unique looking creatures of WEG and their well thought out ecological niches.

This is true of almost everything else as well, if not to the same extent....even the better modern work feel a little recycled and stale, at least visually.....beh, here I am getting nostalgic about games I never played and books I've never read.

Fantasy Flight Games has done a very good job of expanding on the Warhammer universe though, introducing elements that fit perfectly while still feeling fresh, so I hope they can do the same with Star Wars.