main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I agree. They did a good job in that universe and I feel hopeful for the future of SW RPGs as well.

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    FFG certainly seem more like WEG in getting the "alien" feel of Star Wars, yeah.

Having managed something like 40k rather than D&D might directly help them too, since Warhammer is very exotic in places, with some seriously weird stuff that evokes the pulpy nostalgia of WEG, whereas WOTC were much more rooted in mainstream Dungeons and Dragons, which by and large is full of fairly similar humanoid variants.

Here's hoping we get some more truly alien aliens again, rather than just more humans with rainbow coloured skin.

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  3. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007

They are major warships, but by no means does that make them the largest nor makes them rare, especially when the Empire has a mobile battlestation the size of a small moon

Space is very vast, but people wouldn't be fighting over empty space. They would fight over planets and resources. These are specific discrete locations, so large fleet battles would likely occur over these locations

Strong space defense platforms does make great sense, but not as your sole means of defense.You don't want another Maginot Line situation. You want to be as mobile as possible in order to be able to respond to any threat that may arise. Especially when you interests are spread across an entire Galaxy and you would probably be competing with numerous other planets for said resources. If its okay to assume a realism such as space being vast, then considering the very advanced level of technology being displayed, the population of the Galaxy, the time spent as a space fairing civilization, and that realistically the resources of a Galaxy are immense, then it would be common place to see huge fleets of big ships with extremely powerful weapons. Realistically larger ships would be very effective, just as they have been on Earth, maybe not 100% of the time, but no where near the fail rate the Star Wars EU portrays.

4. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    100% right on.

I do not think Imperial-class ISD's are small, nor expendable pickets ships going around the Outer Rim. They are very powerful ships, but they are probably one of the most flexible ships in the Imperial Fleet. Their ability to act independently is the best fit to hunt down Rebel forces. They are sort of like an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer for the US Navy. My problem is that there are only 25,000 of them and that larger ships and other large Star Destroyer types are not common place. Again between a galaxy worth of resources, a large population to draw from, super advanced tech, and competing interests of the Core Worlds, those large fleets guarding the Core should exist in my opinion.

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    "It was a most unusual dream. She was always in the company of a man with sandy brown hair and blue eyes. He was there every time. He seemed familiar to her, yet she'd never met anyone like him. So she waited for the day he would come into her life."

Whenever I think of Alexandra Winger, I'll think of this line [face_devil]

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Bottom line, WEG certainly captured the feel of the movies, which translated to the novels - the Expanded Universe couldn't ask for a better foundation.

WOTC made a slow beginning, but eventually picked up steam and was putting out its best material shortly before the company pulled the plug (which, for those familiar with TSR/WOTC, is a regular occurrence)

FFG has mightly impressed me with both their Arkham Horror and Battlestar Galactica games, and they are in a unique position where they have a more solid footing than WEG and don't have the corporate oversight that WOTC had - I couldn't be happier.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, sure, parts of it read just like very self-indulgent fanfic but it was entertaining. Well, at least the first book was, when she was the adopted daughter of an Imperial governor...

8. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am very interested in WEG material, especially after I found out about them from Wookieepedia. Its a shame finding all of the interesting stuff would cost a small fortune.

9. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    I know what you mean, but its very worth it. Wookieepedia is great, but its nice to read everything in context. I really miss those campaign guide coming out on a regular basis.

10. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Check ebay regularly. I've gotten a bunch of WEG items for less than a buck each that way, including some of the sourcebooks, galaxy guides, etc.

11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    There is this fancy, evil tool called the internet... [face_devil]

Not that anyone here would go for that sort of thing.

12. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I know, I know, but I am not made of money.

13. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    The internet doesn't want your money. It just wants your love and devotion. And your, umm, seeds...

What, I'm not the only amoral bastard here, am I?!

RC-1991 likes this.
  14. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    I personally advise against spreading your seed over the internet in exchange of WEG sourcebooks, no matter how expensive and rare they are. :p

RC-1991 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    But, it's so easy... and cheap... and fun...

Don't worry, though. I'm usually the one paying :p

16. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, at least one Grand Admiral decided to use a complementary avatar to their Mon Calamari contemporary...

17. Grand Admiral Paxis

Sep 2, 2012
    I think someone suggested that either Jello or The Loyal Imperial make it their avatar, but they never did so I decided it would be okay to take it.

And my masculine, ferocious bear is by no means similar to his little guppy! :p

18. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    I agree with everyone here, get as much of the WEG and a good bit of the WOTC stuff that you can. I probably have 95%+ of their products and I feel it has been a worthwhile expense. Here's to hoping FFG captures that old WEG feeling of adventure and intrigue!

19. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Ha! Just look at the determination on lil' Ackbar's face. It's not a ruse. It's not a subterfuge. :D

--Adm. Nick

20. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Looks more like constipation to me.

RC-1991 and GrandAdmiralJello like this.
  21. Grand Admiral Paxis

Sep 2, 2012
    But look at the same youthful determination on Major Fufu's face! The glorious and benevolent Empire brought civilisation and Imperial protection to his dangerous backwater world, and your guppy's soldiers exploited the naivety of his people, sending them to die in war and blowing up His Majesty's scientific research station to rain debris down upon their villages, before having the audacity to make them into a children's TV show with magic and crying mountains!

But Major Fufu didn't fall for it! He truly is a model Imperial! =D=

22. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    [face_laugh][face_rofl][face_laugh]

It ultimately boils down to a battle of cuteness. In one corner, we have a adorable teddy bear. In the other, a cut little guppy.

The winner, you ask?

Us fans. :D

--Adm. Nick

Grand Admiral Paxis and Zeta1127 like this.
  23. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I dislike that Wookieepedia labels every entry into this show as "N-Canon" by default. Especially Major Fufu. [face_waiting]

24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

ImpStars aren’t rare, Death Stars and ships like the Executor clearly are. :)

Yes but there being so much empty space just makes skirmishes the logical strategy and we already know that not even the Empire, which has the mightiest space force ever in the GFFA, can defended itself from such hit and run tactics.

Only of the sides agree to let it happen, otherwise they can avoid each other for just about forever.

Anything else would just turn to defense by offense

Actually it wouldn’t, as each time we see warships build and employed they are mentioned as horrendously expensive to build,design and run, with designs that stick around very long times and mostly build by a few specialized worlds from which the other worlds buy these designs.

If we want to go into realism, no star fighters whatsoever, as they just don’t make all that much sense if you consider how fast and accurate long range space ships weapons have to be for space warfare, and of course no force, or hyperspace, or blasters etc. ;) and the largest dedicated battleship ever build by mankind was also a failed concept at the time it was build, as carrier warfare had made it defunct.

Things like the Executor have always been explained to be a very specialized ship with rather limited utility, and it makes sense, as there literally is no need for it to be there, other than to have something to show off for the Empire after the Death Star failed.

Ender Sai likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Battleships are cooler than carriers will ever be.